**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Small thing about Tune Ups and Updates

WRIRWRIR Posts: 563 ★★★
I was very pleasantly surprised that Kabam wanted to do more Tune Ups and Updates. But I wanted to remind everybody of a few things.

1. A lot of people are confused as to what Tune Ups are. Tune Ups are literally number changes, no mechanic changes. To my memory, Tune Ups are the "worst" of buffs, and did not make or break a character. Possibly because they were done mostly on terrible characters anyway. Honestly I think Tune Ups would be better if they are done for mid tier-ish characrers or characters like Hulk(Ragnarok) that are old but not too old, and have working sellpoints, just might be better with a few number buffs, or finally giving cull some block proficiency.

2. Historically, to my memory, Tune Ups and updates have never produced "S tier" champions. Red Hulk or Carnage were "pretty good" at the time of their update, as well as Gamora or Gambit or Falcon. This leads me to infer that none of the Update or Tune Up characters will be game changing. We infact knew that Kabam probably wants it to be that way, given they nerfed Gambit when he was game changing. I do however hope that maybe one or two are considering there are 4 buffed a month, but I cant be sure.

Tldr: "Tune up groot first" is a terrible idea. Please reserve groot for overhaul. Don't expect Tune Ups or Updates to be Bgt and be disappointed. Rejoice if they do end up A tier or above!
Overall very happy to hear the new buffs tho!

Comments

• SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,804 ★★★★★
    why does gulk need a tune up? He’s fine.
  • WRIRWRIR Posts: 563 ★★★

He doesn't need one. I was just trying to think of a champ that a number change could actually benefit. If you don't use Ghulk for Face Me, his 100 crowd excitement is very short and takes very long to ramp up, thus making him kind of annoying to play with not being very rewarding.

I know this because I love Ghulk, and have tried to use him everywhere. The Mojo synergy helps a little, but my conclusion was he is a very very Niche champ that's barely A tier because of Face Me, which is fine, but he would actually benefit from a Tune Up rather than many bad characters who's mechanics are so bad that a Tune Up won't save them. With his Crowd excitement lasting longer and or easier to ramp up, and or crowd excitement giving more damage, it "might" change his place in the contest or not, but will surely make him much more enjoyable for every day content.
  • Sarvanga1_Sarvanga1_ Posts: 4,139 ★★★★★
    Rookiie said:

Point 1 is very accurate.
    Point 2 is you basically projecting the future based on one or two examples that you saw in the past; and concluding that Tune Ups don't produce S-tier champs. That's incorrect.
    A Tune Up simply means that the champion's kit is relevant in the meta, but their attributes or mechanics need adjusting to get the most out of them.
    Don't forget that Human Torch was Tuned Up, and even though it was a small change on paper, it was quite an impactful change in his gameplay.
    The same can be said about Immortal Hulk. Tuning him up properly would make him the Science equivalent of Domino & Sunspot. Which is pretty handy for some players.
    While I hope and pray to the heavens above that all overhauls will be the equivalent of Colossus and Magneto, because I love DD Netflix, we can't assume that that's going to be the case because of the past.
    At the end of the day, it's up to the designers (and testers) to make sure we get something noteworthy, regardless of the methodology.

Is tune up for immortal hulk confirmed?
  • RookiieRookiie Posts: 4,769 ★★★★★

Rookiie said:

Point 2 is you basically projecting the future based on one or two examples that you saw in the past; and concluding that Tune Ups don't produce S-tier champs. That's incorrect.
    A Tune Up simply means that the champion's kit is relevant in the meta, but their attributes or mechanics need adjusting to get the most out of them.
    Don't forget that Human Torch was Tuned Up, and even though it was a small change on paper, it was quite an impactful change in his gameplay.
    The same can be said about Immortal Hulk. Tuning him up properly would make him the Science equivalent of Domino & Sunspot. Which is pretty handy for some players.
    While I hope and pray to the heavens above that all overhauls will be the equivalent of Colossus and Magneto, because I love DD Netflix, we can't assume that that's going to be the case because of the past.
    At the end of the day, it's up to the designers (and testers) to make sure we get something noteworthy, regardless of the methodology.

Nah mate I wish
    Keep campaigning & campaign hard
  • SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,804 ★★★★★
    WRIR said:

He doesn't need one. I was just trying to think of a champ that a number change could actually benefit. If you don't use Ghulk for Face Me, his 100 crowd excitement is very short and takes very long to ramp up, thus making him kind of annoying to play with not being very rewarding.

I know this because I love Ghulk, and have tried to use him everywhere. The Mojo synergy helps a little, but my conclusion was he is a very very Niche champ that's barely A tier because of Face Me, which is fine, but he would actually benefit from a Tune Up rather than many bad characters who's mechanics are so bad that a Tune Up won't save them. With his Crowd excitement lasting longer and or easier to ramp up, and or crowd excitement giving more damage, it "might" change his place in the contest or not, but will surely make him much more enjoyable for every day content.
    His crowd excitement requires slightly more aggressive gameplay to keep up. I’ve reached without even realizing I had. Just requires being aggressive and not sitting around twiddling thumbs
  • Sarvanga1_Sarvanga1_ Posts: 4,139 ★★★★★
    Rookiie said:

Rookiie said:

Nah mate I wish
    I wish too mate. Hulk is my second favorite marvel character. I want justice for him.
    Just a little more practicality in his abilities would help.
  • RookiieRookiie Posts: 4,769 ★★★★★

Rookiie said:

Rookiie said:

Nah mate I wish
    I wish too mate. Hulk is my second favorite marvel character. I want justice for him.
    Just a little more practicality in his abilities would help.
    While not my favourite character, I absolutely L O V E this version of the Hulk. Dark, sinister, more violent, and in the game is the most Hulk-like Hulk. It would be a shame if they didn't tune him up.

WRIR said:

His crowd excitement requires slightly more aggressive gameplay to keep up. I’ve reached without even realizing I had. Just requires being aggressive and not sitting around twiddling thumbs
    Well sure. But my point was that I think that Tune Ups can help characters feel smoother and more fun to play, rather than compeltely change a terrible character. Maybe Ghulk was a bad example, but I don't think people use him outside of Face Me matchups, because there are much easier options for the level of damage output he brings. Also 100 crowd excitement is still slow, and requiring aggressive gameplay is not a very good mechanic, especially if you don't really have the proper kit to further allow it because not all nodes allow you to simply ham on your opponent.

But Ghulk is a good character. He does have Face Me. I'm saying that his kit would be noticable easier with a Tune Up. If he did not have Face me, I think he'd be a good candidate for a Tune Up because it will make him easier to play and smoother overall, since he has some interesting utility like being Unstoppable.

Basically I wish Tune Ups were used on slightly better characters that would actually benefit from higher numbers rather than terrible characters that will help no one.
    Rookiie said:

Human Torch's Tune Up isn't why I use him though. I'm not an endgame player, but I can do Cavalier event quest and Legendary side quests with relative ease, and even I use Human Torch mostly for Energy matchups or Mystic matchups, or if I need his immunities.

I also agree that an Immortal Hulk Tune Up would be nice. I don't like his kit in general because I don't like the self-hurting part of the kit, which I don't think is very comic accurate and is kind of annoying. I wish they made his gamma store a percentage of health lost as gamma without the self hurting piece, that way he'd be kind of like Nick Fury, but would eventually run out of gamma so it wouldn't be busted or something.

But as he stands, if he did get more damage, I think the he'd feel much better.
  • Iron_Patriot_is_litIron_Patriot_is_lit Posts: 1,860 ★★★★★
    Reminder: overhauls dont mean the champ will automatically be a god tier. Reworks essentially just adding a new champ into the game and removing a really bad one. New champions can be bad. Examples: Terrax, Nova, Air Walker, Immortal hulk, etc. Now, while virtually every kit overhaul to date has been really good, they still have the possibility of being bad.

Reminder: overhauls dont mean the champ will automatically be a god tier. Reworks essentially just adding a new champ into the game and removing a really bad one. New champions can be bad. Examples: Terrax, Nova, Air Walker, Immortal hulk, etc. Now, while virtually every kit overhaul to date has been really good, they still have the possibility of being bad.

This is true. Spidergwen, Old Man Logan, White Magneto are all good but not game changing.