**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Class is in Session

RockypantherxRockypantherx Posts: 3,900 ★★★★★
edited November 2020 in Strategy and Tips
Hey everyone, I’m back with a guide for everyone’s favourite body inhabiting smart guy, Professor X. I was lucky enough to pull this guy as a 5* from his featured cav, and I’ve seen a few people here on the forums, and in my alliance, asking how to use him properly. So, I thought I would attempt to put together a handy guide to utilising your Prof X.

Let’s begin with his base stats, and there are two things I want to draw your attention to here. Firstly, his health. It’s pretty low. Not the lowest, but certainly down there. Thankfully, he doesn’t really feel flimsy due to the next stat I want to draw your attention to, his block proficiency. It sits at a hefty 72.5%, making his parries feel extremely sustainable, and more than makes up for his health.

Moving on, let’s get some basic, passive mechanics out the way. Prof X has a chunk of utility wrapped up in his basic combo, in that it is purely energy-based, and only the first medium makes contact with the opponent. Essentially, he counters Korg’s thorns, and if you only use light attacks, he can tackle thorns nodes and Electro as well. Of course, there are plenty of other situations where both energy and non-contact attacks are useful, but these are among the most notable

Secondly, for these passive abilities, Prof X is immune to Reversed controls. Full stop. While this is a fairly niche use right now, it does have some current applications: Delirium nodes, special chaos inversion nodes, Emma Frost’s, and Grandmaster in his third phase. However, I think we are going to see this mechanic come round more often as the game progresses, and Prof X is the only other champ besides Mr Sinister naturally immune to reversed controls with no other stipulations. And I’m sure I’m surprising no one when I say he’s better than Mr Sinister.

The next mechanic I want to cover is his falter. This is pretty simple. If you would get hit 10 seconds after the start of the fight, you place a 2-second passive falter on the opponent, causing their basic attacks to miss. Important to note that special attacks can’t be faltered in this way, so watch out for that.

Once this falter has activated and expired, it goes on cooldown for 20 seconds. This cooldown is reduced by 1 second every time you use dexterity. One small, but pretty cool thing is that while your falter is on cooldown and you use dexterity, the dexterity call out will pop up blue instead of yellow. Once the cooldown reaches 0, your dexterity returns to its regular yellow.

Professor X also has ‘Persistent Cerebro Charges’. While these may not seem like much right now, as we move through this guide, you’ll see why they are so valuable. For now, all you need to know is that you start the quest with 1, and for each fight you win, you gain one up to a max of 4.

And now we move into Professor X’s core mechanic and the ability that, understandably, confuses a lot of people. I am, of course, talking about his channelling.

Basically, Prof X has a set of charges below his health bar that scale from 0 to 100. At 25, he counters miss and evade against all non-tech champions. At 50, he can activate mind control (which we’ll get to in a bit) off of his 4th light attack, and at 100, he activates mind control when activating a special attack. He loses 50 of these charges whenever power drained, or power burned

So now we’ve established what channelling does, and how we lose charges, let’s cover how he gains them.

There are 3 ways to gain Channelling charges. When charging your heavy attack, and at the end of your special 1 and 2, you enter a state aptly named ‘Channelling’. You can tell Professor X is doing this because he will be grabbing his helmet and purple particle effects will appear. And of course, it calls out ‘Channelling’.

While you are Channelling, you will gain 10 channelling charges per second. He enters channelling for 2.5 seconds at the end of his special 1 and 2 and I’m pretty sure you can charge his heavy indefinitely. I’ve certainly never seen him automatically throw it off. Of course, if you get hit your channel is cancelled. Essentially, the max you can get from pure channelling is 25 off the SP1 and 2, and up to 100 off of your heavy. However, there are other ways to gain channelling charges, and different effects depending on how you end your channel. This is where it gets complicated, so stick with me.

If you complete the 2.5 seconds of the channel after your SP1 or 2, you get 10 extra channelling charges, taking the total to 35. For your heavy charge, when you actually throw your heavy, you gain 10 charges. Basically, just sit there and don’t get hit and you’ll get the bonus charges.

But, if you block, charge a heavy, or use a light, medium or special attack, you end your channelling and get a 40% prowess that lasts 36 seconds, instead of the bonus charges.

If you dash back to end your channelling, you refresh all your prowess.

Ok, but what does this all mean.

Right, so in terms of your heavy attack, obviously you can’t use a light attack, or a medium, or charge another heavy, or block, or dash back. Your options here are either throw your heavy and gain the 10 bonus charges, or cancel into a special attack to gain a prowess. In terms of gameplay, the special cancelling is self-explanatory, but in terms of safely executing your heavy you have a few options:

Become a god at heavy intercepting
Parry and heavy, waiting till the last second to release your heavy
Spam heavies against the wall
Utilise your falter

What I mean by utilising your falter, is charging your heavy, and simply charging your heavy, and when the opponent goes to hit you, they’ll falter and you can continue charging your heavy safely for roughly another 1.5 seconds, before safely letting go of your heavy attack to get those sweet sweet bonus charges. Of course, make sure your opponent doesn’t have a bar of power or you’re probably going to get blasted into next week. This is also how you can safely complete your channelling after a special attack.

Of course, this removes your safety net, so if you aren’t feeling confident, just use the parry heavy method. But this comes in very useful in limber, stun immune, debuff immune, shrug off, etc matchups.

During your channelling after a special attack, you have all avenues open to you. You can refresh your prowess, gain another prowess, or wait for your bonus charges.

Does that explain channelling? I hope it does. It sounds complicated on paper, but it’s really quite simple when you play the character. In most matchups, you want to use your heavy to gain 100 charges, then throw off a special attack to activate mind control

But what is this mysterious mind control I’ve eluded to?

Well, it’s a unique mechanic to Prof X (for now. Morgan could have had it. Just saying.) and it does quite a lot of things. Let’s get one thing straight first: It’s duration.

Mind Control lasts 0.5 seconds for each channelling charge Prof X has when you activate it. This is only relevant if you’re triggering it off of your 4th light attack, since it only activates off a special when you have 100 channelling charges, which gives it the maximum duration of 5 seconds. Generally, you’ll want to wait until you have 100 charges and throw a special off to activate it, but if you need it sooner, it’s duration may be less than 5 seconds depending on your charges.

5 seconds sounds quite short, right? Well, it’s that short for a reason. Its duration is paused during your special attacks. And as we’re about to see, you’re going to be throwing off a lot of special attacks.

Mind Control serves 3 functions:

It locks the opponent’s power for its duration, and they can’t use special attacks while it is active.
Prof X’s special attacks are unblockable
Prof X’s special attacks cost 70% less power based on his channelling charges, but only up to 40% against tech champions

When mind control expires, it consumes all of your channelling charges, but you can still gain them up to a maximum of 100 while mind control is active. It’s important to note it only consumes your channelling charges at the end of mind control, so if you activate it at 100 charges, you’ll get the full 70% cost reduction.

Right, so that’s mind control. It’s fairly complicated but bear with me. You may want to activate it off the 4th light attack if you need to really stop the opponent throwing a special, but it’s better to activate it off a special. We’re going to cover what his special attacks do, and his sig ability, then we’re going to bring this all together. Ok? Ok.

For as complicated a champion as Prof X sounds, his specials inherent effects are rather simple.

His special 1 gives you 25 channelling charges when you activate it, and as previously mentioned, you begin channelling for 2.5 seconds afterwards

The special 2 deals a burst of energy damage on the last 3 hits that scales with special attack damage, and you start channelling for 2.5 seconds

It’s in his SP3 we see the first use for Cerebro charges (remember those?). He gains a 60% prowess for 40 seconds for each Cerebro charge you have up to a max of 4. Now, this special isn’t really worth using unless you have at least 3 Cerebro charges. We’ll get into why soon.

Finally his signature ability.

You gain 1 charge per second while under 75 charges passively. However, this rate doubles and lasts to 100 charges if he is on defence.

The second part gives him 10% prowess potency at sig 1, to 50% prowess potency at sig 200, scaling with the opponent’s power meter. So at sig 200, your prowess will have 50% increased potency when your opponent is at 3 bars of power, and 0% potency when they are at 0 power

It’s definitely a nice to have sig ability, but he doesn’t need it, he’s still a great champion without it.

Ok, now that I’ve bombarded you with 4 pages of information about how he works, let’s dive into how it all comes together in his kit.

Your first task is to reach 100 channelling charges.

Done that? Good. Now you want to race to your SP3 if you have 3 or more Cerebro charges, or only go to just below your SP3 if you have 1 Cerebro charge.

You’re now going to charge your heavy and cancel straight into your SP3 or SP2. This is going to do two things. It’s going to give you a 40% prowess because you cancelled your heavy channel by launching a special, and it’s going to place mind control on the opponent.

Coming out of your SP3, rush into the opponent and hit the SP2. Because of mind control, your SP3 only cost just under a bar of power, so your SP2 will be ready.

If you used an SP2 instead of an SP3 because you only had one Cerebro charge, you should have another SP2 ready to go as well. But you’ll have come out of your first SP2 into channelling. You want to cancel this channel into a prowess by light attacking, throwing a medium, blocking, throwing your SP2, or charging a heavy attack.

It’s at this point that the SP3 and SP2 rotation converge. You essentially just want to throw special after special, dashing into the opponent after each one (doesn’t matter if you connect or not), and building your prowess until you run out of special attacks. On your last special attack, cancel the channelling by dashing back, and refresh your prowess, ready to start the cycle again.

If you used an SP3 first, you should get a total of:

One SP3, one SP2, two SP1’s. You can get a third SP1 if you hit the opponent 2 or 3 times after an SP1, but you have a short window to get the opening, and you don’t want to miss the prowess refresh.

Playing safely here you’ll get a total of 160%-280% prowess, ranging from 2 to 4 Cerebro charges

If you used an SP2 first, you should get a total of:

2 SP2’s, 3 SP1’s, once again, you can get a 4th if you land a few hits, but don’t miss the prowess refresh

Playing safely here you’ll get a total of 160% prowess. If you use an SP3 rotation with only 1 Cerebro charge, you get 140% prowess, if you have 2, it gives 160% which is equal to the prowess you gain from this SP2 rotation. But the SP2 does more damage than the SP3, so it’s better to use the SP3 rotation below 3 charges.

Now, once you’ve used your SP3 rotation once in a fight, you don’t really want to use it again, you just want to go for the SP2 rotation

And that’s how Professor X works. I promise it isn’t as complicated when you actually play him, there’s just a lot to explain on paper since so many mechanics interact. Put simply, he works similar to Namor in that you spam a lot of specials in a given time.
Now is an excellent time to mention that he is awful with the suicide masteries. Like, really, really bad. Recoil just eats him alive and he has no immunities

Thanks for reading and I hope y…

What do you mean I have to cover his synergies? Seriously? Uh, fine.

I’m going to rattle through these because they have so much depth and applications I could spend another...6 pages (Geez this is long) talking about them.

One unique thing here is that each synergy gets more potent based on the number of Cerebro charges, up to 4. This is their main use. Worth noting that Professor X doesn’t benefit from any of these synergies himself So what are the synergies?

The first is a self synergy and this gives all mutants and X mean +25% Special attack damage per Cerebro charge. More damage for the already crazy mutant class

Next, a synergy with colossus, Wolverine and X-23 that gives 18-72% poison resistance based on Cerebro charges. Excellent for suicide users and could make any mutant potentially viable for the 6.1.5 crossbones now.

Wolverine and X-23 both get +15% critical rating, which translates to even more bleeds

Colossus gets a +15% armour up buff that’s indefinite.

Both decent benefits.

With Storm, Storm X and Emma Frost, Professor X gives all mutants and X-men 15-60% prowess duration for each cerebro charge, and this is possibly the nichest synergy he has, but for mutants that use prowess, this a great synergy, even at its base

Storm and Storm X both get +20% shock potency, which is nice for Storm X, but pretty great for Storm if she’s a horseman

Emma gets +30% critical rating based on her power meter, so more frequent crits, leading to more prowess, leading to bigger specials. Excellent

With Cyclops, Cyclops and Phoenix, Prof X gives all mutants and X-men a cheat death, that becomes very potent at 4 charges, ranging from 7.5-30% of max health recovered after dying. Unfortunately the synergy partners, while effective, probably aren’t going to make the top cut of your team. Unless K-Meyeke becomes insane in AQ

The cyclops’ get +100% crit damage rating on beam hits and inflict a -20% armour break lasting 5 seconds. Helps the damage a bit, but they’re still not going to do anything for you. [insert joke about Killmonger’s damage here. I can’t bring myself to]

Phoenix gets a 60% fury after overloading with a max stack of 5. Sounds good on paper, much too awkward and long to reach in practicality. Let’s just give Phoenix the overhaul she deserves and get it over with

Second to last, we have a synergy with Beast, Nightcrawler and Archangel giving 6-24% of a bar of power every 10 seconds. Now this, this is great when ramped up. So many mutants rely on specials for damage, so this just catapults them to the next level in combination with his self-synergy.

Beast gets an increase of Freestyle and Acrobatic combo success’ durations by 5 seconds. I don’t know what this does. You don’t know what this does. In fact, you probably forgot Beast existed in this game. I do not blame you.

Nighcrawler and Archangel get +30% bleed potency. Nice damage boost for both, but let’s be honest, Archangel doesn’t need it. Nightcrawler needs a lot more

And finally! A synergy with Red Mags, White Mags and Iceman, giving every mutant and X-man a shield that takes 75% of all damage besides SP3’s, worth from 2.5-10% of max health. It’s alright I guess. If you run suicides it might eat some recoil for you. This synergy is only available on 5* Prof X. Really, this synergy is much better for its individual benefits

Red Mags gets 15% more attack vs metal champs. This does essentially nothing since Mags is basically killing any Metal champ in one SP3, but it doesn’t hurt I guess. Just an extra of guarantee.

White Mag’s prefight gets its attack bonus increased by a flat 5%, or 15% on the final node of a quest. Crazy good if you’re running this prefight, especially in AW.

All of Iceman’s frostbites expire when Ice armour shatters, which I’m guessing is meant to be used in conjunction with the SP2, which shatters your armour and gives the special a sizeable attack boost in return, which the frostbites will benefit from. So if you still use Iceman, um, have fun I guess.
And that... is...it. I forgot just how long these take to write up. Been a while since I’ve done one, but what can I say, uni has been a bit mental. Still, I hope this helps you out, and I don’t know, maybe you somehow enjoyed it? Anyway, till next time. Let me know if you want me to attempt to put one together for another champ.

Post edited by Kabam Porthos on

Comments

• FiiNCHFiiNCH Posts: 1,664 ★★★★★
    Great write up @Rockypantherx - favourited it in the off chance I ever pull the champ!
  • Fluffy_pawsFluffy_paws Posts: 2,677 ★★★★★
    But I come here to avoid class😭
    I'm gonna bookmark this for if I get him. I want him mostly for reversed controls.
  • RockypantherxRockypantherx Posts: 3,900 ★★★★★
    Rookiie said:

When's the quiz?

Now there’s an idea...

Very well done!

Thanks Vydious!
  • VendemiaireVendemiaire Posts: 2,178 ★★★★★
    He’s fun to use in Incursions with Perpetual Offense and Special Refund. Unlimited special attacks.
  • SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,804 ★★★★★

Very well done!

Best mod! Best mod!
  • EtjamaEtjama Posts: 7,981 ★★★★★
    Keep these coming. Please.
    Etjama said:

If I get the time. Any suggestions on who?
  • Moot4LifeMoot4Life Posts: 2,132 ★★★★

Etjama said:

do hit-monkey
    Moot4Life said:

Etjama said:

do hit-monkey
    I would, but I don’t actually have him above a 4*. Don’t know if I would have enough experience, but I might give it a go
  • Moot4LifeMoot4Life Posts: 2,132 ★★★★

Moot4Life said:

Etjama said:

do hit-monkey
    I would, but I don’t actually have him above a 4*. Don’t know if I would have enough experience, but I might give it a go
    try using him in act 4 as a 3* and scale it up
    Haji_Saab said:

I am not getting a Magneto or Colossus vibe from him. Do I need to be more patient to judge him or is he a tier below the mutant gods?

Definitely not as good as Magneto. I would personally take him over colossus, but I don’t rate colossus very highly. Prof X can do a lot of uniquer stuff, while colossus’ utility is shared by a lot of champs

Etjama said:

Omega Red? 👀
    Etjama said:

Etjama said:

Omega Red? 👀
    Oh I like that. I might do that actually. I do love my omega and have a lot of experience with him
  • OGAvengerOGAvenger Posts: 1,105 ★★★★★
    Good report! He seems almost as good as Domino

Etjama said:

Etjama said:

Omega Red? 👀
    Oh I like that. I might do that actually. I do love my omega and have a lot of experience with him

OGAvenger said:

Oh he’s better than domino. And I have a 6* R2 Domino. The difference is that he actually has utility
    OGAvenger said:

What my friend, Rocky is trying to be overly polite in saying is that:

Prof X is here

Domino is here.... maybe lower.
  • SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,804 ★★★★★

Etjama said:

Dragon Man?