**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Immortal Abomination taking poison damage; bug or working as intended?

This is 6.2.5. Abomination causes 40% more poison damage this node. I know that the explanation will be that even though IA takes 100% less poison damage, with the node he will take 40% poison damage. But IA is supposed to effectively take no damage from poison. His kit relies on him getting stronger due to poison debuffs. So surely he should be taking no damage here, not 40%?

Comments

• ThatGuyYouSaw235ThatGuyYouSaw235 Posts: 3,145 ★★★★★
    WRIR said:

Nah Ibom has 100% resistance. SInce the nodes gives 140% potency, 140%-100% = 40%. 40% damage.

Thats not how resistance works. Resistance calculates how much damage you take. Since iAbom has 100% resistance to poison, the potency shouldn't matter because it should be zilch.
  • ThatGuyYouSaw235ThatGuyYouSaw235 Posts: 3,145 ★★★★★

WRIR said:

Nah Ibom has 100% resistance. SInce the nodes gives 140% potency, 140%-100% = 40%. 40% damage.

Thats not how resistance works. Resistance calculates how much damage you take. Since iAbom has 100% resistance to poison, the potency shouldn't matter because it should be zilch.
    It’s not 100% resistance to absolutely anything, it’s 100% flat resistance. So X% increased poison damage he’ll take X% of the damage.

It’s the same with surfer when facing torch, 100% flat incinerate resistance, so torches smoulders make him take damage.
    Huh, I always thought it was that way
  • Ackbar67Ackbar67 Posts: 400 ★★★
    it comes down to additive vs multiplicative percentages. Ibom has 100% flat resistance, meaning you can subtract 100 from the potency. This abom has 140% potency, leaving 40% damage you will take
  • PulyamanPulyaman Posts: 2,365 ★★★★★
    OR has 90% bleed resistance and with lvl 1 coagulate mastery he ignores bleed danger whatever the node adds to bleeds. Abom should function the same way.
  • IOSJasoNIOSJasoN Posts: 643 ★★★
    This is a complicated one..
    Personally I think (think does not = fact) this is a bug.. If the wording was “100% resistant” then I’d agree 100% leaves 40% of the damage but the wording is “takes 100% less damage from poison effects” it doesn’t state depending on how powerful the poison is..

• PulyamanPulyaman Posts: 2,365 ★★★★★
    IOSJasoN said:

This is a complicated one..
    Personally I think (think does not = fact) this is a bug.. If the wording was “100% resistant” then I’d agree 100% leaves 40% of the damage but the wording is “takes 100% less damage from poison effects” it doesn’t state depending on how powerful the poison is..

It's a little tricky because Kabam does not use the same terminology for OR and iAbom.
    For OR - reduces the damage of bleeds by 90%
    For iAbom - Take 100% less damage from poison.
    For iAbom, it could first apply the poison reduce the damage and then apply the node enhancement. Because Silver surfer also has the same description, and he also takes damage from enhanced nodes.
    Someone from the Kabam team needs to clarify this.
    And please get the descriptions less vague. With more and more complicated abilities, those become crucial.
  • Crazy_JamieCrazy_Jamie Posts: 345 ★★
    To clarify guys, even though I used the word “bug” in the title of the thread, strictly speaking it isn’t. As has already been mentioned, this works the same way with Surfer. When someone takes “100% less damage” from a debuff they can still take damage from it if the debuff causes more than 100% of its base damage, such as on this node. People equate “100% less” to “0%”, but that’s not the way it works.

The question really is whether it should happen this way. As I say, IA’s kit relies on him getting stronger the more poison debuffs he has on him. That’s not me taking a technical point such as Corvus, Maw etc not being villains when they are in the comics; IA is actually designed to work that way. So it doesn’t make sense that he would take damage from poison at all. For me, he shouldn’t take damage from poison debuffs at all and his description should simply state “does not take damage from poison debuffs”, not “takes 100% less damage”.