**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Possible dumb question!

Gul2025Gul2025 Posts: 89
edited March 2021 in General Discussion
So I keep seeing that people hoard their crystal and for me being someone with OCD about notifications it’s really hard for me to not open them. Is there a strategic reason to this or just preference? Sorry I just started playing in Sept and still trying to figure out the best strategies . Again probably a dumb question lol.

Comments

• Gul2025Gul2025 Posts: 89

There's not much direct benefit to hoarding crystals, especially for a relatively new player. Most of us hoard them either because they have something that we don't need now, or have little to no value and we are too lazy to open them.

If you are wondering whether odds or something change, then no but for resource management at endgame scenarios, it can be helpful.

Thank you! Just wasn’t sure. Lol

HI_guys said:

I have gold crystals I used to hoard because I had no reason to open them, and because there will come a time where I can boost the gains. I don't open t4ccc crystals because they will just go to overflow and expire

That makes a lot of sense. I never thought about my overflow. Thank you.

IMO, the only thing a new player should hoard are battlechips. This aren't needed right away. But everything else, new players should open so you can progress as quickly as you can.

Hoarding comes after you've reached a certain level where you aren't needing anything in particular. I'm a hoarder myself and am at the point i don't really need to open my stash, over 28000 crystals just sitting around.

Whoa! Lol it will be awhile for me before I reach that level lol.
  • Luke9523Luke9523 Posts: 906 ★★★
    There's no such thing as a dumb question. :)
    There's lots of answers for it, people do it for different reasons.
    To avoid having too much of an item and it going to waste and expiring, holding on for the next alliance or solo objectives, waiting for new champions to be introduced to crystals. Just depends on what stage of the game you're at.
  • Thicco_ModeThicco_Mode Posts: 8,852 ★★★★★
    It's usually because you don't want to get those catalysts or whatever in your stash, because we're usually full on them or don't need them for anything. People hoard champion crystals because they don't want iso expiring, so they just open it when they need it
  • Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Posts: 7,182 ★★★★★
    Gul2025 said:

So I keep seeing that people hoard their crystal and for me being someone with OCD about notifications it’s really hard for me to not open them. Is there a strategic reason to this or just preference? Sorry I just started playing in Sept and still trying to figure out the best strategies . Again probably a dumb question lol.

At some point you want to keep crystals unopened so you don’t send everything into overflow and then have to sell them. I have tons unopened and use them only when my stash is low and I need rank up resources.
    Luke9523 said:

There's no such thing as a dumb question. :)
    There's lots of answers for it, people do it for different reasons.
    To avoid having too much of an item and it going to waste and expiring, holding on for the next alliance or solo objectives, waiting for new champions to be introduced to crystals. Just depends on what stage of the game you're at.

Half the time I feel dumb reading all these posts lol. It all makes sense though. I never thought about my overflow at all. That alone will help me save them when I need to.

It's usually because you don't want to get those catalysts or whatever in your stash, because we're usually full on them or don't need them for anything. People hoard champion crystals because they don't want iso expiring, so they just open it when they need it

Thank you! I have definitely ran into this problem lately.

Gul2025 said:

At some point you want to keep crystals unopened so you don’t send everything into overflow and then have to sell them. I have tons unopened and use them only when my stash is low and I need rank up resources.
    Thank you. My stash is definitely getting bigger. I need to start doing this for my Cats.

My overflow currently looks like this, because I opened a load of crystals I probably shouldn't have.
    I'll most likely just end up selling them anyway.
  • The_Sentry06The_Sentry06 Posts: 7,781 ★★★★★
    Luke9523 said:

My overflow currently looks like this, because I opened a load of crystals I probably shouldn't have.

Dat iso tho...
    Luke9523 said:

I currently have 538 Cats in my stash with 2 about to expire. Lol. I think I need to stop opening them lol

Luke9523 said:

Dat iso tho...
    I'm forever selling ISO to be honest, it's always expiring. I need more catalysts to upgrade champs.
    Gul2025 said:

Luke9523 said:

I currently have 538 Cats in my stash with 2 about to expire. Lol. I think I need to stop opening them lol
    Yea, stop opening them for a while and just hold onto them. That way they don't get wasted.
    Luke9523 said:

Luke9523 said:

Dat iso tho...
    I'm forever selling ISO to be honest, it's always expiring. I need more catalysts to upgrade champs.
    Gul2025 said:

Luke9523 said:

Yea, stop opening them for a while and just hold onto them. That way they don't get wasted.
    They are mostly teir 1 but I will definitely stop lol
  • AstoundsAstounds Posts: 323 ★★
    I used to think the same thing but the farther you progress the more you need to hoard. Unfortunately you just have to get over the OCD.
    Ebony_Naw said:

It kind of depends. I hoard my gold crystals right now because I have no current need for gold, so I might as well wait until a gold boost event pops up.

I always have some extra 4* shards in case I need the iso from a specific class, because that's all they're worth to me.

I'm holding on to the nexus t5cc because I have no immediate champ I would take up so no need to force myself to pick a class (I open all other t5cc because I'm not near overflow in any classes, but if I were, I would hold on to all t5cc crystals).

I don't save my 5* or 6* crystals because my roster is missing plenty of the heavy hitters, but some people wait until certain champs enter the basic pool.

So, depending on where your account is, it can definitely be more beneficial to some accounts.

Thanks! Right now I’m pushing for UC so I think that I can definitely hoard my 3* and below cat crystals along with 3* sig crystals since I’m working on ranking my 4* and above. Am I right in this thinking?
    Astounds said:

I used to think the same thing but the farther you progress the more you need to hoard. Unfortunately you just have to get over the OCD.

Yea I’ve already starting keeping some and now that I know there is an actual strategy behind it it’s not that bad seeing them lol

Ebony_Naw said:

Gul2025 said:

Ebony_Naw said:

It kind of depends. I hoard my gold crystals right now because I have no current need for gold, so I might as well wait until a gold boost event pops up.

I always have some extra 4* shards in case I need the iso from a specific class, because that's all they're worth to me.

I'm holding on to the nexus t5cc because I have no immediate champ I would take up so no need to force myself to pick a class (I open all other t5cc because I'm not near overflow in any classes, but if I were, I would hold on to all t5cc crystals).

I don't save my 5* or 6* crystals because my roster is missing plenty of the heavy hitters, but some people wait until certain champs enter the basic pool.

So, depending on where your account is, it can definitely be more beneficial to some accounts.

Thanks! Right now I’m pushing for UC so I think that I can definitely hoard my 3* and below cat crystals along with 3* sig crystals since I’m working on ranking my 4* and above. Am I right in this thinking?
    If you have some classes that will go to overflow that you can't use right now then yeah, absolutely. But if you're nowhere near the threshold you may as well open them. Imo, best way to look at lower level sig stones for champs you'll never use is as the fastest way to max sig a champ for the extra shards when you pull them.
    Good point. Thank you! Never thought of that.