What is wrong with Mysterio?

Silver_GooseSilver_Goose Member Posts: 488 ★★★
I pulled him as a 6* three days ago. Yesterday, after completing 7.2, I got a 1-2 tech gem. When I finish exploration (if i select tech), I'll be able to take him to rank 3 if I want. Based on what I've seen testing him out (at rank one), he has some great damage, and solid utility, with poison and AAR immunity, power drain, heal block, etc, plus he's good for war defense. Frankly, he seems pretty R3 worthy. Yet, I don't see very many people who have him at high rank. Does he have some flaw I'm missing? Is his damage not as good as it looks at a glance? Or is he just...underrated?

Comments

• CyborgNinja135CyborgNinja135 Member Posts: 1,118 ★★★★

You sacrifice that mega poison damage after the special 3 for your utility

Pretty much this. You have to be very aggressive after the sp3 or time it with the chemical gas if he's awakened
  • Jaymix79Jaymix79 Member Posts: 246 ★★★
    I am taking mine to R3 as soon as the glory resets today.
  • SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Member Posts: 21,935 ★★★★★
    Kerneas said:

I dunno, I have him as a 6* and he is prettx great. Lots of fun utility, from powerdrain to miss, regen etc. I just dont like throwing SP3

Why? That’s how you get the good damage
  • VABBI2003VABBI2003 Member Posts: 52
    I took mine to r2 few days back using tech gem from 7.1. No regrets. Insanely fun champ and underrated too.
  • xLunatiXxxLunatiXx Member Posts: 1,395 ★★★★★
    Lvernon15 said:

His main flaw is you have to choose between utility and damage

High sig helps to solve this
  • The_beast123The_beast123 Member Posts: 2,097 ★★★★
    I’ve never played mysterio, but I’d love to know how does the usage of his special 3 affect his utility?
  • SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Member Posts: 21,935 ★★★★★

I’ve never played mysterio, but I’d love to know how does the usage of his special 3 affect his utility?

Like all the other specials, it removes his chemical gas, this time to give him a frenzy gas passive

However, it increases his attack by a lot and gives his poisons like +300% potency, so if you get three chemical gas and heavy while the frenzy gas is active it’s mega damage
  • Colonaut123Colonaut123 Member Posts: 3,091 ★★★★★
    Nothing, besides you need to choose between damage through the SP3 or utility through the SP1 and SP2. With no external power gain, it's tough.
  • altavistaaltavista Member Posts: 1,401 ★★★★
    What's fun is to use the SP1 and then just let them wack at you for a few seconds.
    Not very practical in content where you can get KO'd quickly from just a few hits, but it's entertaining.
  • BitterSteelBitterSteel Member Posts: 9,264 ★★★★★
    altavista said:

What's fun is to use the SP1 and then just let them wack at you for a few seconds.
    Not very practical in content where you can get KO'd quickly from just a few hits, but it's entertaining.

Heimdall synergy can help with that, and you can use adrenaline as a 6* and recovery mastery to actually heal yourself.
  • GoddessIliasGoddessIlias Member Posts: 706 ★★★★
    I don’t use him because I find him quite boring. I don’t know if other people feel that way but he just seems pretty simplistic and not fun
  • Pratham02Pratham02 Member Posts: 281 ★★

I pulled him as a 6* three days ago. Yesterday, after completing 7.2, I got a 1-2 tech gem. When I finish exploration (if i select tech), I'll be able to take him to rank 3 if I want. Based on what I've seen testing him out (at rank one), he has some great damage, and solid utility, with poison and AAR immunity, power drain, heal block, etc, plus he's good for war defense. Frankly, he seems pretty R3 worthy. Yet, I don't see very many people who have him at high rank. Does he have some flaw I'm missing? Is his damage not as good as it looks at a glance? Or is he just...underrated?

Have him at r3 awakened , great addition to my roster. He carries his weight and is a fantastic champ to rank up and use a tech t5cc on. That said he's not the best, but the best is not what we need.
  • Pratham02Pratham02 Member Posts: 281 ★★

Nothing, besides you need to choose between damage through the SP3 or utility through the SP1 and SP2. With no external power gain, it's tough.

If you have him awakened you don't really have to choose.
  • No_oneukNo_oneuk Member Posts: 1,430 ★★★★★
    Mysterio was my first rank 3 - I don't regret it because being Thronebreaker is very worthwhile, however I literally never use him.

Alliance put me on the Acid Wash path in AQ, he did OK but my 5* Voodoo does the path far far easier. I've tried him in tech EQ paths - really poor. Tried him in act 6 exploration and used him like once or twice. He's great for Domino fights and that's about it.
  • Hammerbro_64Hammerbro_64 Member Posts: 7,463 ★★★★★
    If he didn’t need to pick utility or damage, he could be top 5 tech imo. Rn he is at least top 10. I love my duped r2 6*
  • MagrailothosMagrailothos Member Posts: 5,829 ★★★★★
    I have him at 5/65, and find him pretty useful in Cav EQ, to be honest. The passive Heal Block is surprisingly useful both there and elsewhere, as there are a lot of 'shrug-off' champs now who can ignore standard heal block.

He's got good Damage, and the Immunity to AAR can be useful in niche fights - Domino, Black Widow and Psycho-man are the obvious ones; plus Gwenpool on a Combo-up node. He's also one of the few Tech champs (apart from Star Lord and Yondu) who can handle Magneto. And there are a lot of nodes that inflict Disorient now, which he can largely ignore (aside from the effects on his Block proficiency). I like the ability to reflect damage+regenerate using SP1/Recovery Mastery; or Power Drain on the SP2.

If you've got Emma Frost, having access to Immunity to Reverse Controls is good, too.
  • Timone147Timone147 Member Posts: 1,276 ★★★★
    Just pulled a 6* so guess I should give him a look
  • Colonaut123Colonaut123 Member Posts: 3,091 ★★★★★
    Pratham02 said:

If you have him awakened you don't really have to choose.
    Did you even read the last sentence? Anyone can parry MLM. But getting the bars of power in time is the issue.
  • altavistaaltavista Member Posts: 1,401 ★★★★
    I think he is affected by Second Child syndrome.

When people think Spider-verse counter, Venom comes to mind.
    When people think poison immune, Robots and Hulks come to mind.
    When people think poison debuff, Immortal Abomination comes to mind (heck I personally think about Abomination and Antman, before remembering Mysterio)

Warlock steals a lot of his thunder (a poison immunity, a passive heal block, power drain on SP1 or SP3 compared to on SP2).

Mysterio's unique abilities (AAR resistance, immunity to reversed controls synergy) weren't needed until more recently.
  • MrInsanityMrInsanity Member Posts: 1,539 ★★★★
    Kerneas said:

Kerneas said:

I dunno, I have him as a 6* and he is prettx great. Lots of fun utility, from powerdrain to miss, regen etc. I just dont like throwing SP3

Why? That’s how you get the good damage
    I just dislike champs who require throwing SP3 that's all. I don't like the waiting, it feels boring to me. It doesn't change the champ's objective quality, but I just try to avoid these champs.
    Bruh my man really can't wait 30 seconds for an SP3
  • KDSuperFlash10KDSuperFlash10 Member Posts: 5,869 ★★★★★
    He's a balanced champion (more like above average tbh). There are no problems with that. He's a good champion to have, not the best but definitely nowhere near the worst.
  • PseudouberPseudouber Member Posts: 793 ★★★
    I think hes great! I love mine. Great Damage and utility as needed. HIs awaken ability is not needed but very nice at high sig. I wouldn't sleep on him.
  • firemoon712firemoon712 Member Posts: 546 ★★★
    He's one of my few awakened 6 stars.
    It's funny 'cause I bought his Cavs when he came out(back when I wasn't Cavalier but there was the offers for getting him early) and then I got Rocket and Corvus both as 5 stars.
    Now that I have him as a 6 star and awakened, I haven't taken him up, but that might be due to the insane resource cost.
  • MaqsoodMaqsood Member Posts: 67
    I have him as 6 star rank 3 and he is pretty great