**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
We have not set an end-date for the new period, but we will update this banner when we have more information.

6 Star Doctor Octopus anyone?

BarryMcCaulkinerBarryMcCaulkiner Posts: 178 ★★
edited July 2021 in Strategy and Tips
Ive been sitting on a 6 star tech 1-2 rank up gem for a while and my only options lately were Punisher 2099, just because I enjoy him and he is fun to play but not the best imo. I recently got Doc Ock, but never used him before and know he is not a top tier champ even in the tech class.

Anyone recommend taking him to rank 2 or wait for another tech champ that takes priority? My tech lineup is kind rough, I have a 5/65 ghost that I dont use, a 5/65 Sparky that doesnt get used and a 5/65 warlock that gets used frequently so techs are not my best class.
Post edited by Kabam Dijon on

Comments

• SkyLord7000SkyLord7000 Posts: 3,999 ★★★★★
    Only r2 if you’re a crazy gamer
  • WarlockjrWarlockjr Posts: 778 ★★★
    Take him to rank 2
  • JadedJaded Posts: 5,476 ★★★★★
    Wait for something better
  • awesomesauceawesomesauce Posts: 774 ★★★
    he's got some niche uses and is a decent champ, but there are definitely better tech champs that should take priority.
  • AjisdopeAjisdope Posts: 933 ★★★
    I have him duped at rank two and enjoy him. I would only have taken him to rank two duped as well.
  • OdachiOdachi Posts: 1,069 ★★★★
    edited July 2021

yes.
    edit: ignore the stats, running a few boosts to clear 5 days worth of side quest quickly
  • thanks4playingthanks4playing Posts: 805 ★★★
    i pulled a doc ock as a 6 star awhile ago and i really wanted him to be good. i've watched every vid and read everything about him and talked to numerous people. the truth is, he needs his dupe, and even then I would not put him at the top of the tech class. Other tech champs are better and they don't even need the dupe (e.g., ghost, warlock, ultron, g99). He is still useful in isolated cases, though.

But i'm kind of confused... you're saying that you have a weak tech class, but you have ghost and warlock? And you don't use ghost?
  • BarryMcCaulkinerBarryMcCaulkiner Posts: 178 ★★

i pulled a doc ock as a 6 star awhile ago and i really wanted him to be good. i've watched every vid and read everything about him and talked to numerous people. the truth is, he needs his dupe, and even then I would not put him at the top of the tech class. Other tech champs are better and they don't even need the dupe (e.g., ghost, warlock, ultron, g99). He is still useful in isolated cases, though.

But i'm kind of confused... you're saying that you have a weak tech class, but you have ghost and warlock? And you don't use ghost?

Yeah I am not a fan of using ghost. Not my type of playstyle. Warlock is amazing, but really only use him for cavalier EQ. I dont do war and only run map 5 aq sometimes. I mainly just use Mutants, because I am stacked on that side so its hard to justify using Ghost when i realistically need wasp.
  • Spurgeon14Spurgeon14 Posts: 1,665 ★★★★
    He is a fantastic champ, but I don't really understand his playstyle perfectly. If you want to spend time to learn how to play him correctly/have the skill, I know he can be amazing.
  • OdachiOdachi Posts: 1,069 ★★★★
    You can play super agressive with him if you keep the powerlock up and spam sp1s, he's super easy to intercept with as well to hold them against the wall- although due to mcoc mechanics the duped one can't build furies as easily with the cavalier eq nodes and I think his health still is still bugged.
  • Unio77Unio77 Posts: 2,532 ★★★★★
    Doesn't he need to be awakened though?
    Mine is unawakened and I just can't find reasons to take him to rank 2
  • KerneasKerneas Posts: 3,737 ★★★★★
    He is great
  • ErcarretErcarret Posts: 2,725 ★★★★★
    edited July 2021
    I love Doc Ock. I would have r5'd my 5* if I hadn't pulled a 6*. Now I just wait for the dupe (it really is super useful) before I r2 him.

But when I do, it's an easy rank-up. If you play him right, you can stack all three of his abilities and keep the opponent power-locked, heal-blocked and have a nice armor up on yourself. It takes skill - a skill I haven't quite mastered myself - but the payoff is well worth it.

Plus, I find his power control one of the most useful in the game vs champs with high power gain. The more power they gain, the quicker they are power-locked. Really powerful ability.

All of that said, I recently ranked up my Punisher 2099 and I haven't regretted it for a minute. He is so incredibly useful. If he's awakened and you team him up with Cap IW, he can almost immediately control any fight he enters. He's maybe not the best for really long fights since his power control will disappear when his nano-tech battery recharges, but as long as it is active...wow.

I love that dude.
  • SquirrelguySquirrelguy Posts: 2,628 ★★★★★
    Love him, but his utility goes way up with awakening
  • Sean_WhoSean_Who Posts: 618 ★★★
    Have mine rank 2 unawakened. Is useful quite a lot but definitely better awakened. I use mine mostly for the power lock against quick powergain champions, and permanent power lock.
  • MagrailothosMagrailothos Posts: 5,341 ★★★★★

I took Punisher up as my first Tech R2. No regrets - he fits brilliantly into a team with CapIW and Cosmic Ghost Rider, if you have them.

Like you say: he's fun to play, and also simple to play, which is a big advantage. He's also got a pretty solid block proficiency and base Armour. Nice if you have a playstyle that relies on blocking/parrying. As is his Regeneration, to top up if you take a few hits.

No doubt, he isn't the best Tech champ, but he's good enough to justify R2. I've used him clearing opponents in the later quests on Act 6, where his Power Control allows you to avoid quite a few tricky effects like Typhoon, Unblockable Specials, and so on. It's your game - if you like playing with him, go ahead and pull the trigger.