**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

2 6 star crystals or a 6 star nexus?

RebornMVPRebornMVP Posts: 49
edited August 2021 in Strategy and Tips
I started playing mcoc again pretty late and since I was a cavalier I saw that summer of pain was going on and I did the 4 weeks that have just gone by. However i have 5k 6 star shards and the milestone im on rn is the 15k shards but if i defeat ghost I get a 6 star nexus. So that means this boss fight is the deciding factor on whether I got a 6 star nexus or 2 6 star crystals to open.

Should I go for the nexus or stick with 2 6 stars or the 6 star nexus?
Post edited by Kabam Zanzibar on

Comments

• ItsDamienItsDamien Posts: 5,626 ★★★★★
    RebornMVP said:

I started playing mcoc again pretty late and since I was a cavalier I saw that summer of pain was going on and I did the 4 weeks that have just gone by. However i have 5k 6 star shards and the milestone im on rn is the 15k shards but if i defeat ghost I get a 6 star nexus. So that means this boss fight is the deciding factor on whether I got a 6 star nexus or 2 6 star crystals to open.

Should I go for the nexus or stick with 2 6 stars or the 6 star nexus?

Honestly, unless you're close to being done with Act 6 completion and forming a T5CC, 2 6*s will probably be more valuable for account progression right now. Sure you'll have the entire pool and all the duds, but one nexus still gives you that entire pool and you'll only get one champ at the end of it.
  • BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★
    As I said earlier today to someone in the same position. Just remember that it is 15k 6* shards, not 2 6*. It may seem like a small distinction but it helps to frame the choice better. It’s the difference between saying 2 6* vs 1 6* and saying 1.5 6* and 1 6*

As for the choice, it depends. Do you feel like you want to expand your 6* roster and get more 6* at the risk of not getting as high quality champions? Or do you want to have a higher chance at getting a real game changer?

And yes, there’s a chance of getting 3 duds from a nexus of course there is. But there’s a lower chance of getting duds in the nexus compared to 1.5 basics.

The difference, of course, is rolling the dice 1.5 times and keeping 1.5 6*. And rolling the dice 3 times and keeping one. For me, that’s an easy choice for the nexus, when going for quantity vs quality I’ll usually go quality. But that’s partly owing to where I am with my 6* roster. 10 decent champs do almost nothing for me when I could get 1 amazing one. So I would go for quality of the nexus, rather than the quantity of the extra 0.5 of a 6* champion.

As I said earlier today to someone in the same position. Just remember that it is 15k 6* shards, not 2 6*. It may seem like a small distinction but it helps to frame the choice better. It’s the difference between saying 2 6* vs 1 6* and saying 1.5 6* and 1 6*

As for the choice, it depends. Do you feel like you want to expand your 6* roster and get more 6* at the risk of not getting as high quality champions? Or do you want to have a higher chance at getting a real game changer?

And yes, there’s a chance of getting 3 duds from a nexus of course there is. But there’s a lower chance of getting duds in the nexus compared to 1.5 basics.

The difference, of course, is rolling the dice 1.5 times and keeping 1.5 6*. And rolling the dice 3 times and keeping one. For me, that’s an easy choice for the nexus, when going for quantity vs quality I’ll usually go quality. But that’s partly owing to where I am with my 6* roster. 10 decent champs do almost nothing for me when I could get 1 amazing one. So I would go for quality of the nexus, rather than the quantity of the extra 0.5 of a 6* champion.

They have 5k 6* shards already, and will get 15k tomorrow.
  • OdachiOdachi Posts: 1,069 ★★★★
    It's a tough choice and depend on your roster. 2 6* might make a massive difference regardless of who they are but if you go for the nexus you have that chance there might be a good one in the bunch and you will also still have 5* 6* shards.. but those 2 might both be bangers. Both is a gamble, follow your heart
    ItsDamien said:

What you already have doesn’t count towards rewards gained. It changes what you can open afterward, but it doesn’t change what the choice is between rewards-wise.

If you have 9k 6* shards and an event gives 11k 6* shards do you say I’m going to get 2 6* as rewards from this event? No because you had the 9k before. You have that whether or not you do the content.

OP is in a situation where they have 5k 6* shards and can choose between having 20k 6* shards at the end of SoP, or 5k 6* shards and a 6* nexus. The difference here being 15k 6* shards vs a nexus. That is the choice.

If they choose the nexus then the value of the 5k shards is still there. Meaning it’s irrelevant to the choice given.

If OP had 100k 6* shards would you say the same?

ItsDamien said:

What you already have doesn’t count towards rewards gained. It changes what you can open afterward, but it doesn’t change what the choice is between rewards-wise.

If you have 9k 6* shards and an event gives 11k 6* shards do you say I’m going to get 2 6* as rewards from this event? No because you had the 9k before. You have that whether or not you do the content.

OP is in a situation where they have 5k 6* shards and can choose between having 20k 6* shards at the end of SoP, or 5k 6* shards and a 6* nexus. The difference here being 15k 6* shards vs a nexus. That is the choice.

If they choose the nexus then the value of the 5k shards is still there. Meaning it’s irrelevant to the choice given.

OP never said that they were getting 2 6* worth of shards from the rewards, only that the rewards will allow them to open 2 6*. There's a difference. You're just reading too much into it, and being pedantic at this point.
  • RebornMVPRebornMVP Posts: 49

ItsDamien said:

I understand your reasoning behind the value of the 5k shards and I guess in both ways you can argue that it is technically 2 6 stars or it isnt 2 6 stars just 15k shards. To me it feels like 2 6 stars because i just get the 2 6 stars immediately but I definitely get where your coming from. Also my 6 star roster consists of 6 star Havok, mephisto, storm, ebony maw, elsa bloodstone, agent venom, and guillotine so not really any good ones except havok, mephisto, elsa, and maybe guillotine who is getting buffed soon.
    ItsDamien said:

ItsDamien said:

OP never said that they were getting 2 6* worth of shards from the rewards, only that the rewards will allow them to open 2 6*. There's a difference. You're just reading too much into it, and being pedantic at this point.
    OP said 2 6* crystals or a nexus. Which isn’t the choice. Saying you’re deciding between 2 6* and 1 6* from the nexus isn’t the decision. If you want to frame the decision properly it’s 2 6*, or one 6* from the nexus and 5k 6* shards.

Otherwise you’re taking into account the 5k 6* shards for one side and not the other. If you think I’m being pedantic, feel free. But I’d rather be pedantic and make sure OP knows the full situation than to be misled.
    RebornMVP said:

ItsDamien said:

I understand your reasoning behind the value of the 5k shards and I guess in both ways you can argue that it is technically 2 6 stars or it isnt 2 6 stars just 15k shards. To me it feels like 2 6 stars because i just get the 2 6 stars immediately but I definitely get where your coming from. Also my 6 star roster consists of 6 star Havok, mephisto, storm, ebony maw, elsa bloodstone, agent venom, and guillotine so not really any good ones except havok, mephisto, elsa, and maybe guillotine who is getting buffed soon.
    The main thing for me is that if you see the nexus as just a nexus, you forget that you’ll only need to get 5k 6* shards to open your next one. Whereas if you choose the 15k option, you’ll open 2 and then need to save up 10k for your next one. And that’s where the 5k actually comes into play. That’s why it’s 2 vs 1.5 6*

Personally, with that amount of 6* I would likely go for quantity and choose the 15k shards. But the nexus is genuinely equally as good, especially if you don’t feel like a decent champ will help you as much as pushing for a quality champ with the nexus
  • ChaosMax1012ChaosMax1012 Posts: 3,086 ★★★★★
    I would go for the nexus. Aren’t as common as basic 6*s you can get monthly, so might as well. Though you say you are a returning player so mayhaps grabbing some newer champs with the 15k shards isn’t a bad play. But me personally would go the nexus.