**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Champion Acquisition - Something's Gotta Give!

kconrad37kconrad37 Posts: 160 ★★
edited September 2021 in Suggestions and Requests
So I recently watched BrutalDLX's retirement video, and something that he said really resonated with me.

The amount of time and/or money that is required to acquire new champions at a high level to make a serious impact to Endgame players has become insane. I understand that the method of acquiring these champions have not changed - in fact, the number of players who can win these champions from the Arenas has increased over the years. As of now, there are 200 spots for a 6* Featured Champion, and 800 spots for the 5* Featured Champion. The same can be said for the Basic Champion as well. However, in order to qualify for these precious few spots, players have to spend hours upon hours grinding away in the Arena. We're talking high hundreds of rounds (sometimes pushing well over 1000) in order to secure a 6* champion. While there are clearly players who are willing to spend that kind of time, I feel like I would not be alone in saying that I just don't have the time for that.

This doesn't even cover the spending side of new Champions. I understand that drop rates are posted and it's all about getting lucky, but you would think that spending multiple hundreds of dollars on crystals would guarantee something concrete. Sure, people get lucky with 5 or less crystals and walk away with a shiny new 6* champion to play with, but then there are times where you can open hundreds of crystals and get nothing. I believe it was Seatin who claimed to have spent almost $2000 without a copy of 5* or 6* Mojo (maybe it was just the 6* he was looking for, I don't remember), and honestly to spend that much without a guarantee of getting at least one copy of the Featured champion? Sounds a bit overkill, honestly.

Personally, I've reached a point in the game where I don't feel the need to spend too much time or too much money on the chance of winning/pulling a new featured champion. I'm sure others feel the same. It has nothing to do with the quality of champions being released. There have been a lot of fantastic additions to the Contest in recent years that makes me want to be excited about new Champions. Kitty looks amazing. I have been chasing Shang-Chi in featured crystals for weeks. I want to pull Peni Parker at some point, or take Hercules for a spin. But the thing that stops me every time? Looking at the crystal drop rates, or tracking the cutoff history for other new and exciting champions.

6* Kitty Pryde went for over 166 million points this round. If a team of 6* champions gave an exact 180,000 points in a single round with the 3x multiplier (20k points per 6* prior to multiplier), it would take a player 923 rounds just to break 166 million points. If a single round (3 fights) takes 3 minutes of playtime, 923 rounds is 2,769 minutes of playtime - or just over 46 hours. I understand that the timing of a round may be inaccurate, but the fact still remains that there is someone out there who spent enough time to score 166 million points over 3 days to end up not getting a 6* Kitty Pryde.

It's possible that the issue of players hiring other players or using arena bots to grind the arena for them is increasing the overall cutoff for a new champion, and I'm sure that should these issues be handled effectively that we could see a drop in cutoff scores that could potentially entice other players to give the arena a chance. But I don't know that it's the best solution.

I've got a an idea I wanted to share, whether it actually makes sense or not.

Add new milestones with copies of the 5 and 6* champion.
Make them the only milestone reward for that milestone, and make them far out from the 12 million milestone, but attainable. Stick the 5* Champion somewhere around 40 million arena points. This is somewhat in the ballpark of existing cutoff data for new Champions. Make the 6* Champion milestone somewhere in the ballpark of like 80-90 million points. It's still a time-consuming grind, but it's attainable. Players may be more likely to spend units on champion refreshes if they know that hitting that final milestone will guarantee them a new 6* champion.

This does, however, mess with the Rank Rewards system you have in place. A lot of players like shooting for the Top 1%-5% rank reward bracket, since it awards 5000 5* shards and 1000 6* shards. Maybe this reward could be a new milestone as well. Stick it in the 20-30 million point range, since that is around the current cutoff records anyways. I would consider it an improvement over the current system because it would allow more players to hit the rewards they want in the Featured Arena.

This does still leave Rank Rewards in flux, and I'm sure you would want to have some sort of system in place to entice players into shooting for high scores, so perhaps the Rank Rewards could get a revamp, based on the Champion milestone you hit.

For instance, at the 5* milestone, you qualify for 5* Rank Rewards. Maybe just for hitting that 40 Million Milestone, your Ranked Rewards would be 500 or 1000 6* shards, in keeping with the Top 10% rank rewards as they stand today. As they get closer to that 6* milestone, the rewards get better. Maybe they can be more 6* shards, maybe you can make them rank up gems (1 -> 2 or 2 -> 3) that will help players save some resources ranking up their champions and allow them to rank them higher by saving their T4CC.

When a player hits the 6* Milestone, it removes them from the 5* Rank Rewards entirely, and they become eligible for 6* Rank Rewards. Rewards could start out at 1000 6* shards (similar to the Top 500 and Top 5% brackets now), maybe shoot up to 3000 6* shards, and include pieces of rank up material for 6*s (T5B or T2A fragments, T4CC Selectors, etc.). Top prize can still claim the Warbound title, but maybe also throw in a 1 -> 2 rank up gem for the Top 5 players in the 6* bracket or something.

These rank rewards could entice players to keep pushing past the 6* Champion milestone and still instill a sense of competition amongst players, even though more players could be walking away with 6* Champions from a 3-day arena grind.

Anyways, I have probably babbled on for far too long here, but I wanted to share some of my thoughts with the developers and the entire community to see if anyone else feels the same way about getting new Champions.

Feel free to poke holes in my arena proposal as well, I understand it's probably pretty rough, potentially non-viable and/or game-breaking.
Post edited by Kabam Porthos on

Comments

• Options
    Skiddy212Skiddy212 Posts: 1,101 ★★★★

My biggest issue is waiting up to 7 months for them to be added to the basic, or 4 months for them to come into a featured. It’s a real Hype killer.

Go back to the old system and have champs added to the basic at the same time as the 5*. We had 5* champs added before their featured Crystal was over, why not with 6* too?

Yes
  • Options
    TherealdmoTherealdmo Posts: 54
    I know it may be a bad idea to some but seen many other games where you acquire different (shards/points) to acquire certain champs/hero’s they may not be the feature or what you want at that time but rng alone is not enough
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,245 ★★★★★
    There are two sides to this I see. The first is that new Champ acquisition is pretty slow, in terms of adding them to the Crystals. That's pretty clear. The other side is that it's bound to happen when people amass the majority of Champs. New acquisitions will be fewer and farther in between.
  • Options
    The_Sentry06The_Sentry06 Posts: 7,781 ★★★★★
    Hard agree.

Add the 5* to a milestone in arena. And maybe decrease the runtime of the 6* featured or increase the odds of a new champion in that.
  • Options
    J0eySn0wJ0eySn0w Posts: 865 ★★★★

i sit on thousands of units because i refuse to spend 300 units on a 3* champ crystal ... i spare myself the disappointment but that's just me lol. and i won't ever acquire a 6* champ from arena. i just don't have the patience or time or even interest in grinding arena.

Seriously bro! Besides these content creators I wonder why and how some do it, grind and beat your device, thumps and possible life for a champ sometimes you are not guaranteed to acquire. It's insane! Is it normally worth it I reason?
    I get that it took a lot of time, planning and money to present these champions but isn't there a better way of giving the playerbase a better chance at obtaining them and at the same time cash in on the efforts or investment?
    I'm not the gambler type of person, I knew that but it was solidified when I was exhausting some gifts cards I had from cav crystals. I should have taken some friends out for Halal and had a good time, that would have been more satisfying.
    I never had any issues with the monthly sigil, daily units deal and the occasional mastery core deals. They were simple, guaranteed and fair...well, that was what I was able to do now I'm just done. Maybe I'm just cheap :smiley:
  • Options
    BendyBendy Posts: 3,379 ★★★★★
    They need to increase the pool to just percentages, with crystals the featured rate needs to be higher i get its all rng but i pulled 3 nexus 6s and 5 6s from these cavs in 50 crystals and its insane that not 1 of them 6s were a featured like featured should be the one u get mostly than the others, the drop rates just need an increase higher than 0.30 due to the pool being in 200s now
  • Options
    HoitadoHoitado Posts: 3,707 ★★★★★

What they should do is just decrease the run time for the Featured Crystals or just bring back the original featured crystal (when you had a 25% for 15K shards at the featured champ).
    Seriously. Like I’m not going to open up another six star shard crystal until freaking January 12th when Kitty’s featured crystal finally comes around. It’s boring and kills my desire to keep playing knowing that I need to wait months to get even a chance at pulling a champ I want.

I’ve been thinking about this for months. I don’t know why they took it out as it was before my time but from the Videos I’ve seen it seems like a really smart idea
  • Options
    jdrum663jdrum663 Posts: 551 ★★
    I'm up for anything that changes this garbage arena system we have now unless they change it and make it worse.
  • Options
    MoosetiptronicMoosetiptronic Posts: 2,108 ★★★★
    Changing arena is not the solution. Better champ upgrade rate, change to featured and I hate to say it, but perhaps locking increased featured odds even more starkly behind sigil or similar may be on the cards.

And I have not and would not buy the sigil.

I don't arena grind or buy Cavs and I have 1 2021 champ in 5* or 6*, which is mangog. As a mid to late game TB, I'd guess this is entirely normal? To have 1 2021 champion at a useable rarity 9 months into the year is bonkers. And I do occasionally splurge on featured.

Because there needs to be a better balance between champion acquisition and general in game expenditure from the masses. Because at the moment it's a tiny pyramid of super spenders at the top dictating how kabam make champs available.

As long as it is those willing to drop 100s or 1,000s on arena boosts or crystals paying for the game, then kabam may not feel the need to change it.

But it really does need to change!!! Arena milestones, dual Class 6*, old style featured, wish Crystal; what ever it is, it needs shaking up.
  • Options
    FlyGalaxyBombFlyGalaxyBomb Posts: 777 ★★★
    A pity system would be amazing like GI, but I don't know how to feel abt it in MCOC :|
    Maybe when they add wish crystals it might help?