Ebony maw degenerate bug? Or is this intended?

I took ebony maw into the cavalier 2.1 quest for the silver surfer boss. He has guarenteed crits, so ebony can just stand there.

I noticed, that silver surfer wasn't really taking much degen damage from missing every hit. It looked like he wasn't taking any degen damage at all until he finished his combo. It looks like what happens is:
Silver surfer misses, which applies degeneration
Silver surfer continues his combo, which reapplies degeneration
He doesn't take damage from the first degeneration since it didn't have time to do 1 tick of damage.
So if he does a 5 hit combo (all misses)
He is reapplying degen but only taking damage *after* the last application, since the first 4 are reapplied before they do their first tick of damage.
If he has a degen applied, and one get's reapplied, it is resetting the time for the first tick of damage.

Is it intended to be this way? I feel like it shouldn't be like this. Reapplying shouldn't also reset the time for the first damage tick.

If this is intended, it seems like an awkward design. Essentially you miss out on something like 2 seconds of degeneration damage (however long it takes to do the full 5 combo). Which for ebony maw, 2 seconds of degeneration is quite significant. I feel like the time between damage ticks shouldn't be reset when the degen is reapplied, just the debuff timer should refresh (not reset the whole debuff altogether, since it's a non-stackable debuff for the misses).

I can get a video for clarity, if necessary.

Comments

• AverageDesiAverageDesi Member Posts: 5,260 ★★★★★
    Degen from missing does not stack. So this is how it works. It works like this for all damage over time effects
  • Hopper1313Hopper1313 Member Posts: 30

Degen from missing does not stack. So this is how it works. It works like this for all damage over time effects

I understand that it doesn't stack. And I just don't think it should be intended to work this way. Essentially, the first 4 applications of the 5 hit combo do 0 damage, even though it says it should do X damage over 1 second. The timer should refresh, not reset the entire debuff. Even though you have the debuff applied for 3 seconds, it's only doing damage for 1 second, which, to me, is awkward, counterintuitive, and doesn't really match with the wording. The damage intervals shouldn't be so spaced apart if they intend for the entire debuff to reset.

It makes no sense for an applied debuff to be active for 3 seconds but only be working for the last second of the debuff.

If it is intended to be this way, it should be reworded imo, to be more clear about how it actually works. For example, if the damage intervals are 0.5 seconds for a 1 second debuff, it should say it does X/2 damage every 0.5 seconds for 1 second total, rather than just saying it does X damage over 1 second.