**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Gorr: 1st glance pros and cons

TripleBTripleB Posts: 246 ★★
Gorr is one of my favorite villains from the comics, so when he was added to MCOC I was super excited! Of course they went with the movie adaptation instead of the comic accurate one (which I don't mind after I saw the movie and loved Bale's interpretation), the animations are nice and the sp3 is actually fun to watch.
I bought the preview bundles and played around with the guaranteed 5*. He was interesting, stressful at first but interesting. So I used my units to buy the one crystal offered in the black iso market and BOOM, I pulled the 6*!
I like to run suicides so I looked up youtube videos on other's first impressions to see maybe if they played him differently.
First thing most said was he is not suicide friendly! I have my own opinion on that.
Intro is out of the way, small disclaimer: even though I like the character, I am going into this as unbiased as possible.

Pros:
-Plenty of debuffs and ways to get around immunities to said debuffs.
-Plenty of buffs, even if you don't run willpower (he gains Vicious buffs equal to the points in that mastery).
-Amazing damage in two distinct playstyles which I will outline below.
-With even 1 point in despair he will shut down healing extremely quickly (as long as he can modify regen rate).
-First champ immune to heal block!
-He is capable of regening back up to a healthy amount and pretty quickly in the right match up (by right match up I mean maybe one or two fights in game).
-Last but not least, he is FUN to play!

Cons:
-He's not suicide friendly, but I think he may have meant to be. In the dev notes it states, "very important because they make Gorr more friendly towards the Liquid Courage and Double Edge Masteries" and "If he does equip the Double Edge and Liquid Courage Masteries, then the Recovery Mastery is an important element of that." Now typically if Kabam names the masteries and recommends to lean into those, you might think this champ was made for them, he just needs some small tweaks to make him very suitable to suicides. (For example: when his healing activates he heals for 16% of missing healthy, plus 1% flat for each shadow magic buff.")
-Very reliant on Debuffs and Buffs.
-No willpower, no free healing.
-Needs a very aggressive playstyle to be at his best.
-Shadow magic buffs are too short in duration.
-No immunities.
-Not a whole lot of utility, besides buffed up and disstrack, I can't think of any nodes he may directly counter.
-He can only gain "Heresy" (persistent charge that helps his L3 damage and his healing) by defeating 11 different champs out of 228 champs. In the average quest you likely won't encounter 1.

Playstyles:
1:
End combos in a light attack all the way up to 2 bars of power (try to parry then do 4 lights). Then do double medium combos all the way until 3 bars of power and drop the L3. You should be close or over 20 debuffs, if you are close then do another double medium and a heavy attack. He will gain his power gain buff and shoot to an L3, drop that. Then end combos in a medium attack and work up to an L2. Alternate between light ending combos and medium ending combos, drop an L1 to maintain the furies and the shadow magic buffs. You should be able to go through half a million health in a little over a minute at r2 6* no suicides or boosts.

2:
End combos in a light attack all the way up to 2 bars of power. Do double mediums until just under 3 bars of power, drop the L2. Alternate double mediums and ending the combo in a light attack and work back to an L2. Use the L1 to maintain furies and shadow magic buffs, if you can get over 20 debuffs, heavy and drop the L3.

Just in ROL I have noticed that playstyle 1 is much quicker. The back to back SP3s have so much damage behind them that the DOT even with the furies can't keep up. I have played both playstyles with and without suicides. Without suicides you can remain topped up as long as you don't get hit, same as any other champ. With suicides you will bounce back and forth between 10% health and 30% health. Also, with suicides, you can basically only do playstyle 1 in order to not die. If his healing was tweaked or perhaps when he got a shadow magic buff he gained a resistance to that corresponding debuff, he would be an amazing champ who would have utility alone in bleed, poison and shock match ups.

TLDR; Gorr is a fun champ, who likely will see some action in EQ, LOL, ROL, and maybe certain Act 6/7 fights, past that, I don't think he has the utility or playstyle for areas like AW, AQ, majority of Act 6/7, and battlegrounds. His interaction with willpower and subsequently suicides makes him not suitable for long quests while running suicides. He will need a few tweaks to make him worthy of the name Gorr.

Comments

• GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,242 ★★★★★
    He's just been released. Lol.
  • GrumrokGrumrok Posts: 64
    edited July 2022
    Warlock and Spidy2099 needed some tweaks and improvement also when they where released....

Oh wait... They didn't received some and still rule the absolute top notch out of they're designed role after some time really learning how they work and where they truly shine ??

... Weird and enough internet for today already.

"Gorr: 1st Glance Pros and Cons"
    I get that, but suggestions are being made to change him, and he's just been released.
  • PolygonPolygon Posts: 3,835 ★★★★★
    edited July 2022
    He looks like he’s underwhelming tbh. Barely any utility

I get that, but suggestions are being made to change him, and he's just been released.
    You said this before on another thread but I’ll tell you again. New releases doesnt change anything about a champion not having utility, its primarily when the damage rotation can change. A champion cant spring out new utility out of nowhere

There's thing called champion rebalance that aims to make changes though if needed
    If rebalancing is occurring the moment they're released, that's many problems.
    edited July 2022
    To be honest, I've had the same stance for years. Champions need time in The Contest before I consider anything grounds for revision. You need data to see how they're performing. Not just opinion.
    Not for many years my friend. ;)
    I just think these judgments are made too quickly.
  • GreekhitGreekhit Posts: 2,819 ★★★★★

To be honest, I've had the same stance for years. Champions need time in The Contest before I consider anything grounds for revision. You need data to see how they're performing. Not just opinion.

Sometimes even by their stats you can tell how good a champion will perform. Let alone if he is already released.
    Gorr it’s already out enough days, for experienced players, to make a pretty safe evaluation.

Time isn’t going to change the fact he has 0 useful utility
  • Mother_FlerkenMother_Flerken Posts: 508 ★★★
    - OP makes well thought out post detailing his opinion about a new champ.

- GW comes in, disregards anything OP actually says and instead of contributing to the topic takes the thread on a tangent like he always does.

This could have actually been a constructive thread discussing the pros and cons of a new champ among people actively using him, maybe some uses would have been shared and explored or insight on where not to try using him but alas the troll has made yet another thread about himself.
  • NEXTONNEXTON Posts: 544 ★★★
    edited July 2022
    Hmm

Within the first week of release? Don't you see that as a bit premature?

Beewee said:

Fellas is it wrong to have an opinion?
    Apparently you can't have opinions in the first week.
    I have no issues with people having opinions. I simply think conversations about changing Champs are usually premature.