**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

my take on the state of the game rn

TP33TP33 Posts: 1,593 ★★★★
lots of people talking about the state of the game as it stands at the moment, and i thought i’d give my 2 cents (i won’t learn my lesson but i think i’ll be able to come up with a good opinion this time)

i honestly believe that the game as it is now has improved massively from where it was during 2021 and heading into 2022

the game was in a hard spot, with every player having the same 5 champions ranked up, and the game becoming a race of who could upgrade them the highest, and with the introduction of 6* R3/4 champions, alongside the awakening/sig level problem created an environment where “getting good” and completing endgame content was a matter of money spent.

however through 2023 we’ve seen the game take a different direction entirely. of course there are still some champions who are VERY powerful and very popular (looking at you hercules), but as a whole accounts are much more varied.

back in the day if you were asking “who should i take to R3” it was either CGR, Ghost, Corvus, the top 5 prestige champions (including Doom), Korg, Thing and a few others. bottom line is you were either taking up a very strict list of champions or you were “weird”

nowadays asking who to rank up is a so much more multi-faceted game.

i mean just imagine playing battlegrounds back then, would’ve been the same rosters and matchups with a little node variation, i mean just look at AW gameplay from then.

and i haven’t even started on the P2W aspect of it, the aspect which alienated thousands of F2P players and preventing them from accessing many rewards for a long time. hell just look at Abyss, unless you dropped 3k+ units, used Ægon, nick, quake, HT and Doom you weren’t going to complete that, at least not until some new champions released, and you HAD to complete that because it was the only way to get T5CCs for R3 6*s and you needed them to survive on AW/AQ or hell, just to progress your account out of 5*s

now the game is so much better in this aspect, going from the only way to get a 6* AG being spend (minimum) £100 or abyss to getting them from side quests. same with sig stones.

theres also so much more content and it doesn’t all feel predatory.

look at the difference between act 6.2 and act 8.2. put a player who knows how to intercept/parry/utilise their champions into 6.2 (before all the nerfs) and many found it incredibly hard or impossible to complete and especially explore due to very anti-player difficulty increasing nodes.

put a good player with knowledge and skill into 8.2 and they will have a fun time against nodes which both punish and reward the player, for using the correct techniques or champion archetypes.

i think i can speak for much of the community when i say that new story content is far more fun and rewarding than story content has been.

now there is credit to say that kabam are still quite predatory surrounding battlegrounds, relics and 6* R5 champions. however battlegrounds is optional, relics are optional extras, and whilst 6* R5 champions are hard to obtain and quite heavily monetised, it is not to the same extent 6* R3/4s were.

furthermore the odd 6* R5 in high tier war or battlegrounds or other competitive content in a mega filled with ever better 6* R4 champions, (think Herc, CGR, Hulking, Absorbing man, Spot, absorbing man) doesn’t make as anti-casual a meta as it was when they were dropping 6* R4s for money when there were players with only a handful of R3s, many still using 5*s coming up against them.

in conclusion there is a far wider range of “meta” champions, leading to increasingly personal accounts, much more fun content to complete, and far less predatory marketing strategies. hopefully kabam has learnt lessons from its “6* dark ages” and will carry them forwards with 7* champions