Options

Picking up a closed thread

mgj0630mgj0630 Posts: 1,005 ★★★★
@Hort4 You had made a reasonable comment just before another thread got closed down, so I wanted to take an opportunity to reply and clarify the point I was trying to make.

Let's first recap the comment.

So now to elaborate on the point I was trying to make.

Below is the hero rating between my 5/65/200 Doom and my 6/65/200 Doom.

It's only a bit over a 10,000 point difference.

Now let's look at the Thronebreaker MEQ 3.2 boss...

That's a 30,000 point difference.

I haven't seen any forum complaints about not being able to beat her though. Heck I'm sure some of the YouTubers have shown off their skills doing it with 4 or 5 star champs.

So the point I was trying to make is that people beat defenders with vastly higher PIs all the time. The only real difference is they're doing it with an optimal counter.

BGs is meant to push your roster depth by bringing different defenders to take advantage of the nodes they'll get, and different attackers to counter the nodes/defender combinations you'll face.

So yes, a player's overall PI is a factor, in that it does mean we're more likely to have high ranks of a slew of champs to advance in BGs, but in a given match up, the 7-on-7 PI is not likely going to be that unreasonable between a 1.5mil account and a 5mil account.

The only difference is, the nuke champs, like Doom and Hercules, that everyone wants to start building their roster with, won't necessarily be able to shine depending on the attacker or defender they're placed against in BG matchups.

So yes, overall PI is a factor in the grand scheme of a 4 week BG season where GC nodes are changing weekly, but in VT where the nodes remain consistent throughout the season (and so presumably that person's deck does as well), that overall PI really isn't a big deal.

The problem is that smaller accounts don't want to rank up niche champs for BGs. They expect to be able to nuke everything with the same champs they use in EQ. On the flip side, I have a 6*r3 Red Skull that I haven't touched since that season that had power burn throughout the VT season.

You get out of BGs what you're willing to put into champs that play off the nodes defined in the season, and if you're not willing to invest in them cause they're not useful for 99% of the rest of the game, then you shouldn't expect to surpass those that are willing to make that investment.

So with all that said, to imply that matchmaking up in Platinum and above isn't fair to lower accounts cause they have to face accounts 3x their size is just false, cause again the 7-on-7 probably isn't that large.

As anyone who's ever fought Torch with a mystic champ will tell you, the counter is far more important than the PI of the champ you're facing.

Comments

• Options
    Hort4Hort4 Posts: 499 ★★★
    You can beat opponents with higher PI but BG is also a time based game. Having lower ranked champs on offense and defense is a big disadvantage.
  • Options
    mgj0630mgj0630 Posts: 1,005 ★★★★
    All things being equal, you're exactly right, and I obviously wouldn't disagree with that.

But again, you can make up a lot of that time with good counters.

Just for an example, I'm willing to bet a 5/65 Peni could beat an awakened Nick Fury faster that a 6*r4 Hercules, cause she's gonna bypass his second life.

Counters make a world of difference. As I said though, those smaller accounts often aren't willing to invest in good counters to defenders/nodes if that champ isn't gonna help them breeze through everything else.

And for what it's worth, I'm not faulting them for that. I had a ton of "everyday content" champs ranked up before I ever considered ranking up Korg.

I would suggest it makes all the sense in the world to rank up champs like Doom and Herc before Korg and Electro, but at a certain point, if you want to advance in BGs, you also need those good defenders ranked up, as well as the niche counters to those defenders you're likely to face.
  • Options
    AverageDesiAverageDesi Posts: 5,260 ★★★★★
    mgj0630 said:

All things being equal, you're exactly right, and I obviously wouldn't disagree with that.

But again, you can make up a lot of that time with good counters.

Just for an example, I'm willing to bet a 5/65 Peni could beat an awakened Nick Fury faster that a 6*r4 Hercules, cause she's gonna bypass his second life.

Counters make a world of difference. As I said though, those smaller accounts often aren't willing to invest in good counters to defenders/nodes if that champ isn't gonna help them breeze through everything else.

And for what it's worth, I'm not faulting them for that. I had a ton of "everyday content" champs ranked up before I ever considered ranking up Korg.

I would suggest it makes all the sense in the world to rank up champs like Doom and Herc before Korg and Electro, but at a certain point, if you want to advance in BGs, you also need those good defenders ranked up, as well as the niche counters to those defenders you're likely to face.

Depends on what the rank of the Nick fury is.