Options

Adjustments to Potion Ecosystem

Wozzle007Wozzle007 Posts: 937 ★★★★★
edited September 2023 in General Discussion
It’s been about 5 and a half months since we had Kabam’s response to the community concerning the implementation of Apothecary. One of the points made in the post is:

“This lengthy dialogue with Summoners has also put a spotlight on current potion inefficiencies. The game team has discussed a revamp to potions and are committed to overhauling the system. It’s best to consider this as tangentially related to the changes to the situation at hand, as the timeline on this will be much, much longer. We are hoping to see these changes implemented in 5-6 months time. As always, timelines can shift, but, considering the scale of the project, that’s what we’re hoping for currently!”

So it’s been nearly 6 months so coming to the end of the proposed implementation period. Appreciating time lines can shift so what was originally intended as 5-6 months might end up being longer, but is there any updates that can be shared with the community yet? Is this still on developer’s radars to implement? Will the health economy change also be in AW. With Ascended 7R5 and 7R2 the current health pots feel incredibly outdated. Perhaps if we can’t get an actual update, maybe a nod or a wink to say show your loyal player base the health potion ecosystem is absolutely still on the Kabam agenda? Maybe add it as a discussion point in the next Twitch stream.

https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/331907/further-updates-to-consumable-acquisition-followup-to-revive-farming-apothecary#latest

Comments

• Options
    ErcarretErcarret Posts: 2,774 ★★★★★
    Yeah, I wouldn't mind an update. Being respectful of the fact that timelines can change and wanting an update in case such a change occurs are not mutually exclusive.

Items are non existent in monthly EQ.
    It's a BIG FAT NERF.

They said that they've moved the random items that could pop up in EQ into the chests along the way. I've gotten better rewards from them than the trash they'd usually contain previously. I think it's too early to say whether this is ultimately a more rewarding system, but I personally like the change since I disliked looking through the map to see which path I should take in order to get a revive or whatever it might be.
  • Options
    Ercarret said:

Yeah, I wouldn't mind an update. Being respectful of the fact that timelines can change and wanting an update in case such a change occurs are not mutually exclusive.

It's a BIG FAT NERF.

They said that they've moved the random items that could pop up in EQ into the chests along the way. I've gotten better rewards from them than the trash they'd usually contain previously. I think it's too early to say whether this is ultimately a more rewarding system, but I personally like the change since I disliked looking through the map to see which path I should take in order to get a revive or whatever it might be.
    I've 100% explored Proven to Cav & 1 full run in TB with zero revives earned & maybe 7 level 4 hp total.
  • Options
    ErcarretErcarret Posts: 2,774 ★★★★★

Ercarret said:

It's a BIG FAT NERF.

I've 100% explored Proven to Cav & 1 full run in TB with zero revives earned & maybe 7 level 4 hp total.
    I haven't been showered with revives this month either (I've explored Cav and TB), but since I rarely got any revives under the previous system anyways, I'm finding it a bit hard to judge what works better and what's worse right now. The main difference I've noted is getting higher-tier ISO, which is a pleasant upgrade.
  • Options
    Eb0ny-O-M4wEb0ny-O-M4w Posts: 13,767 ★★★★★
    They said it would be end of this month, before introducing the 7-star crystal in the loyalty store
  • Options
    Wong_98Wong_98 Posts: 1,015 ★★★★

They said it would be end of this month, before introducing the 7-star crystal in the loyalty store

Where did they say this?
  • Options
    Eb0ny-O-M4wEb0ny-O-M4w Posts: 13,767 ★★★★★
    Wong_98 said:

Where did they say this?
    It's actually the same update I guess, not before.

• Options
    SearmenisSearmenis Posts: 1,545 ★★★★★
    IMO the new chests in EQ should have standard things inside, not rng where nobody gets revives and things that actually matter. Why not follow the main quest acts system but for consumables? Two revives in 5 star chests, two lvl 4 potions in 4 star chests and so on. (And not two iso bricks as the biggest rewards, that s ridiculous.)
  • Options
    smdam38smdam38 Posts: 865 ★★★
    Potions are ridiculous. Should have have been percent based a long time ago.
  • Options
    SirGamesBondSirGamesBond Posts: 4,229 ★★★★★
    Ercarret said:

It's a BIG FAT NERF.

Well my friend, I'm at a progression(no flex) that I have been selling revives daily for past 6 months. I skipped all those revives which I saw in completed paths. I saw no point claiming those when I had been selling them alredy.

But I still want to see some revives in EQ for when the time comes. Used to average out 8-10 in a month. 8-10! is that game breaking?

Have explored 100% TB, Cav, and UC.
    Single Completion on, contender, proven, conq.
    I'll exploring conqueror as we speak.
    And I haven't got a single revive out of these "updated" boxes.
    I've even repeated 2 runs of 3.2 TB 2-3 times for 22 hour event. And yet....

Just stating what I found.
    Searmenis said:

IMO the new chests in EQ should have standard things inside, not rng where nobody gets revives and things that actually matter. Why not follow the main quest acts system but for consumables? Two revives in 5 star chests, two lvl 4 potions in 4 star chests and so on. (And not two iso bricks as the biggest rewards, that s ridiculous.)

Let's say 2 revives in 5* chest in 3.2 TB. Will result in farming. And would be excessive in kabams eye. Don't know the solution and I assure you this will never happen. But I do like the idea of some sort of guaranteed drops.
  • Options
    Wozzle007Wozzle007 Posts: 937 ★★★★★
    Well I don’t think we’ll be getting a response from Kabam. Hopefully it’s because they are about to imminently announce their plans to rejuvenate the health potion ecosystem and don’t want to spoil their announcement. I do hope the change they spoke about wasn’t just lip service to appease us when taking away revive farming and now we’re a few months down the road hoping we’ve forgotten about it. Really don’t want to see this planned change go the way of bases and never become delivered.
  • Options
    DanielRandDanielRand Posts: 416 ★★★★

Ercarret said:

It's a BIG FAT NERF.

Let's say 2 revives in 5* chest in 3.2 TB. Will result in farming. And would be excessive in kabams eye. Don't know the solution and I assure you this will never happen. But I do like the idea of some sort of guaranteed drops.
    If it's only on completion it shouldn't be a farming concern
  • Options
    SearmenisSearmenis Posts: 1,545 ★★★★★

Ercarret said:

It's a BIG FAT NERF.

Well my friend, I'm at a progression(no flex) that I have been selling revives daily for past 6 months. I skipped all those revives which I saw in completed paths. I saw no point claiming those when I had been selling them alredy.

But I still want to see some revives in EQ for when the time comes. Used to average out 8-10 in a month. 8-10! is that game breaking?

Have explored 100% TB, Cav, and UC.
    Single Completion on, contender, proven, conq.
    I'll exploring conqueror as we speak.
    And I haven't got a single revive out of these "updated" boxes.
    I've even repeated 2 runs of 3.2 TB 2-3 times for 22 hour event. And yet....

Just stating what I found.
    Searmenis said:

No farming, they can actually have open, empty chests replacing the closed ones when the path is done. Just like they do in SQ sometimes.
  • Options
    ShoNuff29ShoNuff29 Posts: 417 ★★★
    I wish potions would just be percentage based. Level 1 health potion - 10% health,
    Level 2 health potion - 20%, etc.., this way, no matter what star level you use it on, it remains equally useful.
  • Options
    PT_99PT_99 Posts: 2,401 ★★★★★
    Farming was removed in act-2, then 4 then 3.2.6 then 5.3.6 and 5.4.6, gave some goofy ass 24hour 1 revive thingy and now removed the revives from EQ, well done Kabam, if this is to make f2p buy that 500 revive bundle? Nooo. I'll rather buy 7* crystals, pull only 4* and make post about how crystals are rigged but WILL NOT BUY THOSE 500 UNITS REVIVE BUNDLE.
  • Options
    MagrailothosMagrailothos Posts: 5,393 ★★★★★
    xLunatiXx said:

It's a BIG FAT NERF.

I've had some revives but definitely lower than before.

Next step, remove 4h crystals ? ...
    I've had very, very few.

I think this was a poor change.

I get that some people might have been 'frustrated' seeing items on paths they've already cleared.

Well, now you can't see items at all.

Are we better off? No, because the drop rates are still bad, and we can't see what's in the chests.

If you had four paths with a 5% chance to drop a revive potion, then a player (like me) willing to scan the map would have a 20% chance to see a revive somewhere, and choose that path.

Now I can't see, so I (effectively) can't choose: my odds can't be better than 5% (assuming the same drop rates in the chests as there was on the paths).

If I explore the map, the change gets worse, even if I reject already-completed lines:
    First pass: chance of a revive = 20%
    Second pass: chance of a revive = 15%
    Third pass: chance of a revive = 10%
    Fourth pass: chance of a revive = 5%

Overall chance of getting at least one revive:
    100-(0.8x0.85x0.9x0.95) = 42% chance of a revive, if I have the power to see them.

If they're hidden in chests:
    First pass: chance of a revive = 5%
    Second pass: chance of a revive = 5%
    Third pass: chance of a revive = 5%
    Fourth pass: chance of a revive = 5%

Overall chance of getting at least one revive:
    100-(0.95x0.95x0.95x0.95) = 19% chance of a revive, if they're hidden in chests

Personally, I'm still well-supplied because I don't use that many revives. But I think Kabam need to tweak their numbers on these path chests, if they're going to make up for us losing the ability to go 'Oh look, there's a revive: I'll go that way...'