Options

Is Root EVER going to be fixed?

PriyabrataPriyabrata Posts: 885 ★★★★
edited May 4 in General Discussion
The Root mechanic imo is one of the fun ones out there. And that's why I'm sick n tired
THAT ITS BEEN BUGGED FOR A YEAR NOW , and there's still nothing on it.

- Champs throwing lights and mediums while Rooted
- Champs blocking full combos while they're rooted

This might seem trivial but it has led to some interactions that have caused critical losses Incursions runs and BGs. Especially champs( KORG, REDSKULL, DANI MOONSTAR) and nodes (Explosive personality ) that punish hitting into the block. STAND YOUR GROUND, can also prevent a finishing blow if they just randomly start blocking while rooted it has happend to me before.
I kid you not I have been light Intercepted by the AI after I tried dashing into them after they have been rooted about 3 times now.

With the increased root nodes this issue has been even more apparent in the past few months. Is this ever going to be fixed ?

Comments

• Options
    Real_Madrid_76_2Real_Madrid_76_2 Posts: 3,361 ★★★★★
    edited May 4

This might sounds rude but I don't see a problem here. Nothing in the root mechanic mentions that AI can't do the above mentioned things. They just can't move, they can still block and throw L(s) and M(s). I know they used to throw only heavy but it might be fixed now to prevent the predictability of AI.

Root never mentioned it that AI can't do those things, but it was always meant for the AI to use only heavies
    The AI is able to throw full combos while rooted and doesn't even bother to throw the heavies, becoz of which I generally avoid dashing right into a rooted opponent when using baron Zemo and delay a bit
  • Options
    captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Posts: 4,554 ★★★★★
    I wish my opponent throw light and medium attacks while rooted. All they do is charge heavy until the end of root, and if you try to dash in, they heavy counter you everytime.
  • Options
    Rayven5220Rayven5220 Posts: 1,755 ★★★★
    If we can throw M, L, H, why shouldn't they be able to?
  • Options
    Ayden_noah1Ayden_noah1 Posts: 1,273 ★★★★
    I think there are some nodes out there that when defender is rooted they only throw heavies, but regular root doesn't have that restriction.
  • Options
    Drago_von_DragoDrago_von_Drago Posts: 781 ★★★★
    Root was initially coded so the defender only threw heavies and nothing else. The devs didn’t realize this and only intended it to be a “bias” to throw heavies but not a 100% chance. They eventually changed root to just be a bias and not a 100% guarantee to only throw heavies. To make it a little safer, they did add an SP1/2 lock on rooted defenders so they can’t special out of a root like we can.

So rooted defenders should mostly throw heavies but they can also do anything else they normally would (dash in place, block, light, medium, SP3), they just can’t throw an SP1/2 at all while rooted.

This was done after some people highlighted the “Zemo Lock” where you could keep a defender rooted indefinitely and they could never escape to do anything.
  • Options
    PriyabrataPriyabrata Posts: 885 ★★★★

Root was initially coded so the defender only threw heavies and nothing else. The devs didn’t realize this and only intended it to be a “bias” to throw heavies but not a 100% chance. They eventually changed root to just be a bias and not a 100% guarantee to only throw heavies. To make it a little safer, they did add an SP1/2 lock on rooted defenders so they can’t special out of a root like we can.

So rooted defenders should mostly throw heavies but they can also do anything else they normally would (dash in place, block, light, medium, SP3), they just can’t throw an SP1/2 at all while rooted.

This was done after some people highlighted the “Zemo Lock” where you could keep a defender rooted indefinitely and they could never escape to do anything.

No you're mistaking it for the root nerf that removed the sp3 lock, root used to special lock all 3 specials attacks but due to the Zemo lock and a less popular, Kraven lock they removed the sp3 lock.
    The heavy thing was supposed to be guaranteed because it was brought up many times to do only that and idk when this 100% thing changed to a bias
  • Options
    OGAvengerOGAvenger Posts: 1,118 ★★★★★
    Doesn’t sound like there’s anything actually bugged about it….
  • Options
    captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Posts: 4,554 ★★★★★
    I have a doubt, if a node gives root ability to a champ whose is spl lock immune, for example galan, will he still be special locked while root or not?
  • Options
    SecondSkrillerSecondSkriller Posts: 1,030 ★★★★

This might sounds rude but I don't see a problem here. Nothing in the root mechanic mentions that AI can't do the above mentioned things. They just can't move, they can still block and throw L(s) and M(s). I know they used to throw only heavy but it might be fixed now to prevent the predictability of AI.

Extremely ignorant reply, if you play the root champions like Kraven and Zemo you’ll realize that throwing an sp2 and then getting your entire damage loop blocked is stupid. I don’t care about your take on it if you don’t know how much of a performance difference it makes. Every single person disagreeing just doesn’t know enough about this topic…
  • Options
    There was a time when root from a node acted different than root from an attacker’s kit. I don’t know if that was ever fixed.

Right now, an attacker’s root does special lock Galan but only for Sp1/2.

• Options
    Eb0ny-O-M4wEb0ny-O-M4w Posts: 13,806 ★★★★★
    The root mechanic has essentially been broken ever since it was introduced. Now it has become a feature apparently ...
  • Options
    OGAvengerOGAvenger Posts: 1,118 ★★★★★

The root mechanic has essentially been broken ever since it was introduced. Now it has become a feature apparently ...

If it was always a feature then was it ever really broken?
  • Options
    There was no official “sp3 lock” originally. The only thing the defender could do was throw a heavy. This acted as a pseudo SP3 lock but it was never shown as a special lock in the screen visually like the SP1/2 lock is now. This made it relatively safe to attack into a rooted defender because you can interrupt heavy attacks.

With the last root change, every attack into a rooted defender is a gamble. It makes it an unreliable mechanic and significantly hinders its use in most high-stakes situations. RNG for how much damage you deal is one thing. RNG around whether it’s safe to attack or not is rarely worth the risk. Imagine if Kitty only phased 90% of the time. Would you still use her aggressively and just hope for the best?

There were other ways to fix the “Zemo Lock” problem but Kabam chose this route and to me it was a major hit to root’s usability. This does seem to be what they intended though based on the discussion in the initial Zemo thread when the change was made.