BG's is being ruined

WhiteKnightWhiteKnight Member Posts: 513 ★★★
So I've been thinking about why BGs have been on the decline so much over the last few months and I think I've realised.

Obvs the nodes haven't been great, rewards took forever to get updated but I dint even think that's the real reason, I genuinely belive it is because Kabam are messing up the new champs so much.

Over the last 6-months we've seen the introduction of the worst defenders in game; Photon, Onslaught, Maestro, Bullseye, Dust and Serpent.

With the introduction of guaranteed 6* for those willing to spend these champs are easily acquired and ranked to high levels and are completely unavoidable.

That being combined with each champ needing specific counters from a limited pool means no matter what the nodes are you either die, lose tonnes of unavoidable health or can't get them down meaning its a loss. All it takes is for your opponent to draft 2/3 of these champs and you not get a counter and it's an automatic loss.

All these champs have been an absolutely nightmare to fight, to learn and releasing them back to back to back with such easy access is making the game so much less enjoyable and in BGs these champs are completely unavoidable.

I don't know if there is going to be a resolution to this, clearly Kabam don't want to nerf these champs for one reason or another as we've seen with Photon, Onslaught and Maestro having zero changes and the same will continue for the rest.

The Game is becoming unenjoyable.

And FYI, this is coming from someone who competes at Celestial level in BGs every single season with a very strong roster before the 'get good' commends drop 🤷‍♂️

Comments

• NightheartNightheart Member Posts: 2,078 ★★★★
    I actually stopped banning Photon and began to nuke her same with Maestro I use Magneto and it's game over or I use Chavez. I agree with the rest.
  • WhiteKnightWhiteKnight Member Posts: 513 ★★★

I actually stopped banning Photon and began to nuke her same with Maestro I use Magneto and it's game over or I use Chavez. I agree with the rest.

I don't ban either, have then both r5 and canr say I've used Magneto but chavez, Sassy, kushala it's just a nightmare when you don't draft them and now you have a Maestro with no counter 😫

Just when the game was recovering from the July 4th fiasco last year, we get the highly accessible OP defender releases that’s just as bad if not worse. Kabam’s apparent solution is to roll out a hard counter once a month for these defenders…which makes the BG champion pool ridiculously small. And it still reduces the mode purely to the haves vs have nots.

Literally this, if they don't nerf bullseye because of negasonic hard counter then Kabam are taking the mick... one hard counter does not replace a nerf on an over powered defender
    If you take my BG deck for example, I have all the rough defenders:

Domino r2
    Korg r2
    Kindred r5
    Thing r5
    KM r3

But then you slap in the champs I've acquired in last 6 months all r5/r6

Onslaught
    Photon
    Bullseye
    Serpent
    Maestro
    Dust

And now a third of my deck are extremely rough champs that really need a counter at least the first 5 are countered by any apart from domino who gets countered by most of the tech class. The other 6 no chance and all I need is 3 of them and I win 🤷‍♂️
  • NightheartNightheart Member Posts: 2,078 ★★★★

I don't ban either, have then both r5 and canr say I've used Magneto but chavez, Sassy, kushala it's just a nightmare when you don't draft them and now you have a Maestro with no counter 😫
    Maestro is metal so Magneto does work I bring Chavez along as backup reason being many of my opponents who had Maestro banned my 6 star rank 5 ascended Magneto lol 😆
  • GrO_ot78GrO_ot78 Member Posts: 688 ★★★
    The very premise of your first sentence is as wrong as it gets. BG has never been more popular, the requirements to get season rewards have never been higher. Last season I had 320k points. Never had a higher score, and at the same time never had lower rewards paid out.

Yes, Onslaught, Photon, Bullseye, Maestro, Serpent, Dust and now Sinister can be challenging, but all of them have counters that make them look like the worst defenders in the game. Most of the players who are in the GC have these counters available, and none of them are new and hidden behind a paywall.

But yes, for new or weak paragons and lower, BG is probably a little hellish...but it should also be that in P1 and above, in the first weeks, when they face decks full of R5s and 7R2+.
  • Joker1976Joker1976 Member Posts: 688 ★★★
    I agree with the nodes not being very interesting.
    Maybe it’s that or most people having very similar decks, but the game mode feels a little bit stale lately.
    It just feels like going through the motions to get “this or that”said reward or milestone objective and nothing new or exciting.
    The game mode is close to 2 years old now so maybe it’s lost some of it’s lustre…idk.
    GrO_ot78 said:

The very premise of your first sentence is as wrong as it gets. BG has never been more popular, the requirements to get season rewards have never been higher. Last season I had 320k points. Never had a higher score, and at the same time never had lower rewards paid out.

Yes, Onslaught, Photon, Bullseye, Maestro, Serpent, Dust and now Sinister can be challenging, but all of them have counters that make them look like the worst defenders in the game. Most of the players who are in the GC have these counters available, and none of them are new and hidden behind a paywall.

But yes, for new or weak paragons and lower, BG is probably a little hellish...but it should also be that in P1 and above, in the first weeks, when they face decks full of R5s and 7R2+.

I dont think this is right... the event months were massively more popular and the cut off for Mysterium was low last month, better than previous but Still only about 250 I think so not anymore special than a few months back.

I have my own experience of being against someone with 2/3 of the new defenders I have no counter and lose and vice versa. Hell, watch Andrewtheruffs streams and he says how serpent is an instant loss even with the right counter 👀

They're is no direct counter to onslaught, like zero... absolutely nobody is immune to his neuroshock, unless you dex his specials you have no other way of avoiding them. Bullseye has one direct counter, negasonic who is covered by a pay wall, yeh sinister is good but also suffers heavily from inequity which slows the fight down massively and causes you to lose against a nuke. They have champs that can handle them, never said they didn't. My point is they have a handful and all it takes it to mot draft a counter and you lose, other champs such as Korg can be beaten by almost any champ in game, you categorily cannot say the same about onslaught, bullseye, serpent

Decks full of r5's/r2 are irrelevant for what I've said. If you're running r4's and against a deck of r3's you lose because you're smaller, doesn't matter of they have decent or top tier defenders, the gap is too big so it isn't the same 🤷‍♂️

GrO_ot78 said:

I dont think this is right... the event months were massively more popular and the cut off for Mysterium was low last month, better than previous but Still only about 250 I think so not anymore special than a few months back.

I have my own experience of being against someone with 2/3 of the new defenders I have no counter and lose and vice versa. Hell, watch Andrewtheruffs streams and he says how serpent is an instant loss even with the right counter 👀

They're is no direct counter to onslaught, like zero... absolutely nobody is immune to his neuroshock, unless you dex his specials you have no other way of avoiding them. Bullseye has one direct counter, negasonic who is covered by a pay wall, yeh sinister is good but also suffers heavily from inequity which slows the fight down massively and causes you to lose against a nuke. They have champs that can handle them, never said they didn't. My point is they have a handful and all it takes it to mot draft a counter and you lose, other champs such as Korg can be beaten by almost any champ in game, you categorily cannot say the same about onslaught, bullseye, serpent

Decks full of r5's/r2 are irrelevant for what I've said. If you're running r4's and against a deck of r3's you lose because you're smaller, doesn't matter of they have decent or top tier defenders, the gap is too big so it isn't the same 🤷‍♂️
    Well, Havok is a Onslaught cheat code, thats an easy fight for him. Herc and CGR works fine to.

Bullseye…AA, Sinister, Frost, Storm, Odin…thats five great ones.

Serpent ? Wiccan, Chavez, Maw, Sunspot, HT, Colossus, Silk, BWCW, Absman etc…

• GamerGamer Member Posts: 10,732 ★★★★★

If you take my BG deck for example, I have all the rough defenders:

Domino r2
    Korg r2
    Kindred r5
    Thing r5
    KM r3

But then you slap in the champs I've acquired in last 6 months all r5/r6

Onslaught
    Photon
    Bullseye
    Serpent
    Maestro
    Dust

And now a third of my deck are extremely rough champs that really need a counter at least the first 5 are countered by any apart from domino who gets countered by most of the tech class. The other 6 no chance and all I need is 3 of them and I win 🤷‍♂️

Onslaught not the worst to deal with since a lot going to need to dexterity he sp one SOS today same with photon she really not bad serpent i just really a free win. Dust is hard not impossible either bull eys I leant to just nuke him. But serpents u can’t nuke really one definitely not in gc.
  • Emilia90Emilia90 Member Posts: 3,381 ★★★★★

GrO_ot78 said:

Literally anyone can nuke onslaught if you play well and come out with 90% + health and dexing his specials should be easy by now if you’re in celestial. Dust literally isn’t that hard and idk why people think she’s super hard to manage or something. Photon has a bunch of counters now and the entire mystic class and champs like Kate and CGR can nuke Maestro lmao

Serpent is a fair criticism, but he’s not an instant loss if you have someone like Kushala, WWBN, or Chavez and play well
    Also hate when people are like “battlegrounds is declining” and they have zero proof. Just because you think it’s declining doesn’t mean anything lmao. Rewards have been updated and they’re worth the grind now
  • Rayven5220Rayven5220 Member Posts: 2,090 ★★★★★
    Emilia90 said:

GrO_ot78 said:

Literally anyone can nuke onslaught if you play well and come out with 90% + health and dexing his specials should be easy by now if you’re in celestial. Dust literally isn’t that hard and idk why people think she’s super hard to manage or something. Photon has a bunch of counters now and the entire mystic class and champs like Kate and CGR can nuke Maestro lmao

Serpent is a fair criticism, but he’s not an instant loss if you have someone like Kushala, WWBN, or Chavez and play well
    Agreed. People just haven't figured out how to fight some of these newer champs and they think "omg nerf them!!!".

I still haven't figured out how to fight Dust effectively, but I'm not crying about her, I just ban her usually.

If I can't, then I do my best and hope I do better than my opponent does.
  • GamerGamer Member Posts: 10,732 ★★★★★
    Emilia90 said:

Also hate when people are like “battlegrounds is declining” and they have zero proof. Just because you think it’s declining doesn’t mean anything lmao. Rewards have been updated and they’re worth the grind now

I still feel the reward hasn’t ben buffed yea the sole and all still not crazy good for me to do much but that’s a choice of me.

Emilia90 said:

GrO_ot78 said:

Agreed. People just haven't figured out how to fight some of these newer champs and they think "omg nerf them!!!".

I still haven't figured out how to fight Dust effectively, but I'm not crying about her, I just ban her usually.

If I can't, then I do my best and hope I do better than my opponent does.
    Exactly. Usually I’ll just use my bans until I learn to fight the champs, and I get why dust is harder now since she’s new, but she’s not that hard once you realize how to fight her (and definitely not on the level of any of the other defenders) so idk why he put her in there. If you have a fully fleshed out roster you should have multiple counters to every champ. I’ve taken Onslaught in sub 50 with high health with Starky, Hulkling, Chavez, FAM, Silk, Hulk, Titania, and a couple others. There’s so many champs that can take him that I don’t need to pray for just one like OP is insinuating

Same goes for champs like bullseye too, though I wouldn’t be mad at a nerf to him. There’s sinister, NSTW, Bishop, Sunspot, iceman, CGR, Nick, Kushala, Red Skull, and even champs like Nova and Domino that can work decently.
    edited May 29
    R5A AA vs a R5 Bullseye:

Yes, you’ll take a few % block damage, but the fight is over in 22 secs…Sinister is slower, but will finish with 100% health….

He gave up right after having Absman as defender in the next fight...and I responded with 200 sig R5A Void within 0.1 secs 🤭
  • TerminatrixTerminatrix Member Posts: 2,767 ★★★★★
    GrO_ot78 said:

I've tried to tell other players that Bullseye and Photon had counters before they even entered the game lol. OG Storm, AA, Bishop can counter Bully boy, and Jabari Panther, Nick Fury, Shrui, and I think Sinister (even before his buff) can counter Photon.

Shuri and Sinister can block her unblockable specials. Jabari Panther (Sp 1 and Huntress mode) and NF (at 5 tactical charges) shuts down her defensive ability so you can still hit her when she's stunned. I'd normally use JP or Shuri against her.

OG Storm was my go-to counter for Bully, and she wrecked him everytime. One Sp 2 from her and he was sleeping. Instant nerf lol.
    edited May 29

GrO_ot78 said:

You do know that there are at least 2 "direct counters" to Onslaught right? 😂. One is Havok.

The other:

She benefits from his neuroshocks in the best way lol

GrO_ot78 said:

I've tried to tell other players that Bullseye and Photon had counters before they even entered the game lol. OG Storm, AA, Bishop can counter Bully boy, and Jabari Panther, Nick Fury, Shrui, and I think Sinister (even before his buff) can counter Photon.

Shuri and Sinister can block her unblockable specials. Jabari Panther (Sp 1 and Huntress mode) and NF (at 5 tactical charges) shuts down her defensive ability so you can still hit her when she's stunned. I'd normally use JP or Shuri against her.

OG Storm was my go-to counter for Bully, and she wrecked him everytime. One Sp 2 from her and he was sleeping. Instant nerf lol.
    Very well put. Emma and Storm are champs I left out of my list but they’re fantastic for bullseye too. I think it’s funny that the original poster is claiming that he’s in celestial but also says that these new defenders have very limited counters lol. If your roster is developed you should have like 5-7 champs that can counter most defenders (other than serpent tbh, he is pretty tricky).
    edited May 29
    Emilia90 said:

GrO_ot78 said:

Very well put. Emma and Storm are champs I left out of my list but they’re fantastic for bullseye too. I think it’s funny that the original poster is claiming that he’s in celestial but also says that these new defenders have very limited counters lol. If your roster is developed you should have like 5-7 champs that can counter most defenders (other than serpent tbh, he is pretty tricky).
    Yes Emma! I've seen some use her against him. Almost all/any strong mutant can counter him.

I'm a little perplexed by some things said too, but I'm going to be quiet 😂
    I think one issue is that players think they have to rush and get the next new counter, when really they don't. All they gotta do is look through some og champs.
  • altavistaaltavista Member Posts: 1,415 ★★★★
    Joker1976 said:

I agree with the nodes not being very interesting.
    Maybe it’s that or most people having very similar decks, but the game mode feels a little bit stale lately.
    It just feels like going through the motions to get “this or that”said reward or milestone objective and nothing new or exciting.
    The game mode is close to 2 years old now so maybe it’s lost some of it’s lustre…idk.

BGs has always had the staleness problem, regardless of what specific nodes a season has.

VT doesn't change up the nodes across 4 weeks, while GC only changes it every 2 weeks.

The first week is always the most interesting as people's decks are the most varied.
    The second week already gets pretty stale, as most players have settled on who the Defenders/Attackers should be for those nodes. Essentially the match is usually decided in the draft - do you get the same defenders and counters, or does your opponent. I am rarely surprised at what happens in the draft, and then what will happen in the actual rounds.

If you play in VT for most of the season, you have the staleness for Weeks 3 and 4. If you get to GC, you have the staleness for half the time.
  • WednesdayLengthWednesdayLength Member Posts: 1,129 ★★★

Just when the game was recovering from the July 4th fiasco last year, we get the highly accessible OP defender releases that’s just as bad if not worse. Kabam’s apparent solution is to roll out a hard counter once a month for these defenders…which makes the BG champion pool ridiculously small. And it still reduces the mode purely to the haves vs have nots.

Literally this, if they don't nerf bullseye because of negasonic hard counter then Kabam are taking the mick... one hard counter does not replace a nerf on an over powered defender
    Sinister is a hard counter too
  • LokxLokx Member Posts: 1,239 ★★★★
    edited May 29
    Issue is kabam are releasing defenders back to back with future promises of more counter but because they’re releasing defenders at the pace they are it’s getting to the point that its becoming overbearing at the moment without a moment rest.

If it was two defenders, so bullseye and onslaught, then you just have to worry about those two or you can ban one/both of em. But because you have 4-5 top tier defenders. It means you need to either ban 3 leaving their nuke champs for your defence (nimrod, human torch). It will probably become more calmer 8-12 months from now when more champs are introduced, but atm it sucks.
  • RaganatorRaganator Member Posts: 2,535 ★★★★★
    I think Kabam has a balancing problem. Originally the meta changed every week, which was too much. Now the meta changes every two weeks and it seems like a slog. Shorter seasons would probably help. I'm always amazed at people who put up 400+ points in the GC before the meta even changes. That is just a crazy amount of BG grinding. But for mere mortals, I basically try to get to GC within two weeks, but then just sit and do nothing but milestones for two weeks - I'm not willing to grind the margins to "maybe" get one tier higher in the GC.
  • Nemesis_17Nemesis_17 Member Posts: 2,234 ★★★★★

I may have some good news. I tuned into one of DLL’s streams a little while ago and they were talking about rebalancing in general. I don’t remember if bullseye specifically was mentioned, but he did say that when they rebalance a champ, they won’t take into account the fact that another champ hard counters them. It’s only based on how that champ on its own performs.

I don’t fully understand how this works, since I assume a new hard counter would affect a champ’s winrate on defense. But if I were to guess it just means they won’t just say “oh we introduced negasonic and sinister for bullseye so he won’t be tuned down because now there’s more counters!”

Take everything I said with a grain of salt though, I had to wildly paraphrase since the stream where he said this was a little while ago and I don’t remember his exact words. Im gonna try and go find the stream for more correct wording and if I do I’ll come update this post.