**KNOWN AW ISSUE**
Please be aware, there is a known issue with Saga badging when observing the AW map.
The team have found the source of the issue and will be updating with our next build.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
Options

Best BG defenders (S19) big surprises for me!!

TP33TP33 Posts: 1,643 ★★★★
Going into this season i thought the best defenders would be all the armour gaining damage reducing normal types, Red skulls, IMIWs and the likes. I also hypothesised that Bullseye and serpent would just be the worst, but in some ways I was wrong.

All the armour gainers get shut down by the attacker node, cosmics reign supreme, Bullseyes best counters don’t do on hit damage anyways (onslaught, mr sinister, negasonic), Serpent still sucks, although CGR is my go to against him (and luckily I have a R6 6* of my own)

The best defenders for me have actually been Dr Doom, Abs Man, Korg and Zemo.

Dr doom and abs man being immune to armour break is amazing, so often rosters are based around armour breaking attackers they forget to draft characters which counter these matchups. Of course there are ways of solving these problems but these 2 have won me a lot of games by just waiting out the clock.

Korg and Zemo being able to purify armour breaks also really hampers fights. I mean a high sig korg is a real menace right now, you either have to deal with a high armour super tank or korg shenanigans. Not to mention that other than CGR the big cosmic attackers (See: Herc, Galan, Odin, Vox, Gorr, Hulkling, DKG) all take his thorns damage. Zemo can really slow fights as well, again, either you’re fighting a high armour tanked up zemo (not a fun time) or having to deal with constant rooting.

I’d like to hear others thoughts as well, which defenders are working best for them and why? In which situations are people getting unique interactions that normally they wouldn’t without such an odd meta?

Comments

• Options
    TP33TP33 Posts: 1,643 ★★★★
    Additional note:

Seems that Bullseye isn’t just a defender for this meta, very good counter tho those aforementioned armour break immune tanks

(Idk why he was using galan against Doom maybe trying to get damage through detonation as hits would be weak?)
  • Options
    ItsClobberinTimeItsClobberinTime Posts: 4,172 ★★★★★
    edited June 26
    Other than the same meta defenders (Serpent, Bullseye, Photon etc) Galan and Thing have definitely been MVPs on defense for me. Galan you basically can't parry the whole match unless you have neutralize which is easier said than done, and 7* Thing just nasty in general, he's barely sig 50 but with the armor stat and the armor break immunity I've been able to trap people consistently with him and guarantee a timeout.

As for attack, the only two cool things I've discovered are 1. Galan can take Bullseye with very little health loss and 2. Adam can absolutely clap Serpent with very little health loss as well (he can also do a few problematic mystics like Kindred but those aren't as impressive)

Ps: Doom can be done with Galan, parry like a psycho and drop harvest, he actually could've won that match if he played properly.
  • Options
    Vegeta9001Vegeta9001 Posts: 1,525 ★★★★★
    Dragonman kills any cosmics basically, Attuma has been solid, even my wiccan put in work when for some reason the opponent had 3 cosmics left to choose from.
  • Options
    captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Posts: 5,714 ★★★★★
    Defense : abs man drag man doom are great for their armor break resistance. Nimrod is guaranteed loss without the usual counters.

Attack : champ who deal dot or burst are better.

Chavez is absolute Mvp this season. She deals more damage for each buff, and he orange dimension reduce the potency by 60%. My trick is activate 3 dimensions and launch heavy, cancel into sp2 at orange dimensions. Now I have 3 orange dimension, so now the armor up effects are reversed (-200% armor ) so the more the armor buffs, the more damage you do, and no champ is immune to this. She is basically a guaranteed w on attack.

Kushala is another great non cosmic counter, Use soul barb or nullify as per the need and melt opponents. Scorpion and spam can handle the annoying tanky mystics like rintrah drago doom abs and mangog.
  • Options
    BigBlueOxBigBlueOx Posts: 1,649 ★★★★★
    Galan is an instaban for me. Way too OP in this meta
  • Options
    FeydRauthaFeydRautha Posts: 24
    Red Skull is still very nasty. He constantly keeps gaining armor which becomes difficult for most cosmic attackers to keep up with armor breaks plus the extra armor rating node and his sp1 autoblock extend the fight for a while.
  • Options
    Bugmat78Bugmat78 Posts: 2,258 ★★★★★
    edited June 26
    Destroyer can be very annoying in defence unless you have silk and bait the sp2 to avoid the power gain from constant sp1 triggers. He's armour break immune also.
  • Options
    peixemacacopeixemacaco Posts: 1,665 ★★★
    Great. My Bullseye 6* going R4 soon with 1 more Magnetron Crystal.
  • Options
    SirGamesBondSirGamesBond Posts: 4,489 ★★★★★

Abs is that defender I never cared about. Maybe that's just me lol

Talking galan vs doom
    Doom have plenty of answers including ham, silk, scorp, kate etc
  • Options
    Sceptilemaniac2Sceptilemaniac2 Posts: 297 ★★★
    BigBlueOx said:

Galan is an instaban for me. Way too OP in this meta

I've had 50k scores while fighting a r5a bullseye with galan.
    Def op
  • Options
    Joshpgriffs1Joshpgriffs1 Posts: 7
    Modok has been unbelievable this meta went all the way through to glad circuit with him losing 0 matches. Now a insta pick when he pops up. Anihulus has also been pretty good for a late pick
  • Options
    Emilia90Emilia90 Posts: 2,551 ★★★★★
    Red Skull has put in incredible amounts of work for me. I got trapped against him with Hulkling and it’s over if he gains too many armors. I timed out and only did 13% lmao. CGR nukes him though

As for the others, Thing is awful to fight this meta like clobberin said. Instaban for me cause if I don’t draft Kate or something it’s a time stall. Then it’s just been mostly Photon, Bullseye, Onslaught, and Serpent with a touch of Kindred to annoy me.
  • Options
    Real_Madrid_76_2Real_Madrid_76_2 Posts: 3,438 ★★★★★
    I am lucky enough to draft Zemo doom dragon man Chavez and abs man in the same match. They are all insane all rounders this season
  • Options
    GrO_ot78GrO_ot78 Posts: 674 ★★★
    edited June 26
    CGR, Odin, AA and Angela...my mvp's this season in attack.

The defenders who have created the most challenges for the opponent are probably KM, Bishop, Maestro, Bullseye, Doom, Onslaught and Korg...but that is not new.

I always ban 3 cosmic champs, it often gives the opponent less good options to choose from...My R3 Bullseye, 6R5A Onslaugt and Sinister are most often banned.

R3 Hulk gone in 30 secs 🧨💥🔥

• Options
    PistolcuApaPistolcuApa Posts: 138
    Bugmat78 said:

Destroyer can be very annoying in defence unless you have silk and bait the sp2 to avoid the power gain from constant sp1 triggers. He's armour break immune also.

Destroyer caught up soo many of my enemies, he's r2 unawakened and gets kills left and right. Only r2+ hulks get him down in time.
    I will definitely r3 him
  • Options
    Giantwalrus56Giantwalrus56 Posts: 761 ★★★
    GrO_ot78 said:

The defenders who have created the most challenges for the opponent are probably KM, Bishop, Maestro, Bullseye, Doom, Onslaught and Korg...but that is not new.

I always ban 3 cosmic champs, it often gives the opponent less good options to choose from...My R3 Bullseye, 6R5A Onslaugt and Sinister are most often banned.

Was wondering if Odin would be good for this meta. Just basic Odin strat, or is the a different rotation?
  • Options
    GrO_ot78GrO_ot78 Posts: 674 ★★★

GrO_ot78 said:

Was wondering if Odin would be good for this meta. Just basic Odin strat, or is the a different rotation?
    Yeah, I play pretty much normal strat/rotation with him, based on the defender ofcourse, and also based on if defender got armour-ups in this meta…might through som extra light attacks then. He’s pretty fast, except vs Photon, where I don't want to push her to sp2.
  • Options
    SirGamesBondSirGamesBond Posts: 4,489 ★★★★★
    Midstroyer:

OPstroyer: