Is spot overrated or am I just playing him wrong?

TP33TP33 Member Posts: 1,676 ★★★★★
So I recently duped my 7* Spot, was really excited, took him to R2, watched all the guides and videos from lagacy and karate Mike, but so far I’ve been underwhelmed.

My main issue is that in most/all tough endgame content (SOS type content, war, BGs) he takes a lot of block damage. I mean that first hit you have to take to gain your first spot, after which you start getting some higher block proficiency can do up to 2/3k damage. I mean in any fight where the opponent can crit through block or has some form of pierce/block pen he really suffers.

I know you can use his L1 to get the buff immunity debuff so that he will heal up thanks to willpower and recover that block damage, but if I’m trying to kill the opponent in any form of timely manner this is very much an afterthought.

I don’t know if there’s a trick to him or if I’m doing something badly wrong here, but essentially every “cycle” with him i can lose up to 5% of my health, for longer fights/quests this just means potion uses and for BGs it means haemorrhaging points (especially as for a R2, sig 20 most BG fights are 2/3 untouchable cycle affairs)

Any help is appreciated, is the answer just to R3 him or am I missing out on something crucial to his kit?

Comments

• ahmynutsahmynuts Member Posts: 7,314 ★★★★★
    His sig really is important for damage but it does not fix the block damage issue that you've just found
  • Emilia90Emilia90 Member Posts: 3,381 ★★★★★
    You want higher sig so you’re not going through multiple untouchable phases (in bg at least). Block proficiency stat focus + cap relic also boost him up a lot. You need to play him very carefully too but he can nuke a lot of fights with a good amount of health if you do everything right. Definitely wants the r3 and if you’re playing him at r2, you want wayyy higher sig to get good stuff out of him
  • Dfraga71388Dfraga71388 Member Posts: 102
    TP33 said:

So I recently duped my 7* Spot, was really excited, took him to R2, watched all the guides and videos from lagacy and karate Mike, but so far I’ve been underwhelmed.

My main issue is that in most/all tough endgame content (SOS type content, war, BGs) he takes a lot of block damage. I mean that first hit you have to take to gain your first spot, after which you start getting some higher block proficiency can do up to 2/3k damage. I mean in any fight where the opponent can crit through block or has some form of pierce/block pen he really suffers.

I know you can use his L1 to get the buff immunity debuff so that he will heal up thanks to willpower and recover that block damage, but if I’m trying to kill the opponent in any form of timely manner this is very much an afterthought.

I don’t know if there’s a trick to him or if I’m doing something badly wrong here, but essentially every “cycle” with him i can lose up to 5% of my health, for longer fights/quests this just means potion uses and for BGs it means haemorrhaging points (especially as for a R2, sig 20 most BG fights are 2/3 untouchable cycle affairs)

Any help is appreciated, is the answer just to R3 him or am I missing out on something crucial to his kit?

You want to build some power, throw a combo or 2. Then build charges by holding block and baiting 4 or 5 hits (while his spot buff is white) then stand there and bait a hit to go untouchable. Spam light attacks as quick as possible to build ruptures, then sp2 does massive damage once ruptures are stacked.
  • BigBlueOxBigBlueOx Member Posts: 2,105 ★★★★★
    He took a huge hit when they changed the scoring format. A fair amount of content featuring Spot in BGs is from the previous scoring system where time and health were essentially weighted evenly.

Now that health is weighted to be more important scoring wise he lack the same value he used to have as you’ll almost always need to sacrifice health through block damage to ramp him up quickly, and with block penetration stat focus on defenders that will add up
  • BeastDadBeastDad Member Posts: 1,806 ★★★★★
    He belongs nowhere near my BG deck, but he is useful elsewhere.
  • TP33TP33 Member Posts: 1,676 ★★★★★
    Emilia90 said:

You want higher sig so you’re not going through multiple untouchable phases (in bg at least). Block proficiency stat focus + cap relic also boost him up a lot. You need to play him very carefully too but he can nuke a lot of fights with a good amount of health if you do everything right. Definitely wants the r3 and if you’re playing him at r2, you want wayyy higher sig to get good stuff out of him

I usually run precision stat focus but that’s interesting, I have a 6* R3 duped cap relic on him (part of why I was hyped when I duped him).

Sounds like all I can do is either rank him up or get him higher sig, which is a shame but it’s basically what I expected, sounds like he is just overrated then 🤷‍♂️
  • OrtounOrtoun Member Posts: 783 ★★★
    You really want to avoid as many hits as possible until you can push the opponent to a many hit special, think war machine sp1, wintersoldier or punisher sp2, etc, then portal block the special, only do MM until you can throw a special, and watch the burst damage roll in. Obviously it is better at higher sig, and if you can hit them when they are recovering from a heavy or special after they miss before throwing the special even better.
  • PolygonPolygon Member Posts: 4,393 ★★★★★
    He fell off with the change in scoring shift from time to health. Mine is duped and has been collecting dust.