Not nearly as far as you boys.
    Bu am absolutely loving Sam as 7 star.
  • EdisonLawEdisonLaw Member Posts: 6,463 ★★★★★
    smdam38 said:

Not nearly as far as you boys.
    Bu am absolutely loving Sam as 7 star.

Yes I agree he is underrated
  • smdam38smdam38 Member Posts: 1,404 ★★★
    That sp2 and rupture damage is incredible.
    Almost like the goofy health bar shrinker of a Longshot sp2.
  • Childish_AlminoChildish_Almino Member Posts: 36
    edited August 18

I think it’s not a hot take to state that the tech class is falling behind compared to the other classes. Science and Cosmic are most definitely the strongest and mystics have some powerhouses or make up with utility. Mutants and Skill have some lacking as well but still carry their weights, even with great defenders.

The tech class most definitely has fun champs which I quite enjoy, but most of them aren’t nearly as diverse in strength as in the other classes. Double Immunity isn’t as crazy as it used to be and some mutants even counter techs for some reason. Especially with the 7* Tech roster it falls behind and none seem like a perfect R3 unless you personally love the champ. Also with how good the cosmic roster is, they even successfully counter the amazing tech defenders with each having a hard counter or more.

Maybe it’s just me, what do y’all think about it?

Cosmics are supposed to counter Techs....that's the class advantage

Of course, but there’s no hard counter for Onslaught, Bullseye, Serpent, Kindred or Photon. They do have matchups that make them easier but none is a given win. Techs don’t have that kind of match-up, their best defenders still always have that hard-counter and they don’t even hard-counter the best techs anymore.

I think it’s not a hot take to state that the tech class is falling behind compared to the other classes. Science and Cosmic are most definitely the strongest and mystics have some powerhouses or make up with utility. Mutants and Skill have some lacking as well but still carry their weights, even with great defenders.

The tech class most definitely has fun champs which I quite enjoy, but most of them aren’t nearly as diverse in strength as in the other classes. Double Immunity isn’t as crazy as it used to be and some mutants even counter techs for some reason. Especially with the 7* Tech roster it falls behind and none seem like a perfect R3 unless you personally love the champ. Also with how good the cosmic roster is, they even successfully counter the amazing tech defenders with each having a hard counter or more.

Of course, but there’s no hard counter for Onslaught, Bullseye, Serpent, Kindred or Photon. They do have matchups that make them easier but none is a given win. Techs don’t have that kind of match-up, their best defenders still always have that hard-counter and they don’t even hard-counter the best techs anymore.
    BRB kinda hard counters most techs, as does Gladiator but even Bill can struggle in some matches like Peni Parker.
    edited August 18
    They just need a new utility overall somehow, perhaps more effective power control.
  • TerminatrixTerminatrix Member Posts: 2,775 ★★★★★

What exactly do you mean by "hard counter"?

Havok and CMM counter Onslaught. If you've seen any of their good fights vs him, that's a quick, automatic win for them.

Chee'ilth, Jabari Panther, and OG Storm counter Bullseye. Chee and JP's DAAR shuts down his evade. Plus he bleeds. OG Storm inflicts passive stun, and gains prowess from his crits. 2 special ones, or 1 Sp 2 from her and he's done.

The problem with Kindred and others, is we don't have a champ that hard counters degen..like one of their abilities is simply "Immune to Degen" off the rip.

Patriot and Bullseye are supposed to be hard counters to Photon, but idk, I haven't tried them. Jabari Panther is another one. Her Huntress buff shuts down Photon's miss. So she can parry and attack Photon for as long as the Hunt is on.

edited August 19

Havok and CMM counter Onslaught. If you've seen any of their good fights vs him, that's a quick, automatic win for them.

Chee'ilth, Jabari Panther, and OG Storm counter Bullseye. Chee and JP's DAAR shuts down his evade. Plus he bleeds. OG Storm inflicts passive stun, and gains prowess from his crits. 2 special ones, or 1 Sp 2 from her and he's done.

The problem with Kindred and others, is we don't have a champ that hard counters degen..like one of their abilities is simply "Immune to Degen" off the rip.

Patriot and Bullseye are supposed to be hard counters to Photon, but idk, I haven't tried them. Jabari Panther is another one. Her Huntress buff shuts down Photon's miss. So she can parry and attack Photon for as long as the Hunt is on.

Hang on, isn’t Bullseye’s evade immune to ability accuracy reduction? It’s not the aar, it’s the true strike
    EdisonLaw said:

Hang on, isn’t Bullseye’s evade immune to ability accuracy reduction? It’s not the aar, it’s the true strike
    No, it's her DAAR. Once ensnared, opponent cannot evade. I've used her against him last season when we didn't have true strike bonus.

• captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Member Posts: 8,345 ★★★★★

Ham hard counters kindred with degen resistance
  • WednesdayLengthWednesdayLength Member Posts: 1,159 ★★★

EdisonLaw said:

Squidopus said:

The issue with techs these days is that they’re too pigeonholed into being mutant counters and little else, and even then the crop of mutants designed to handle Nimrod like Onslaught and Dust have put that niche under threat. Too many of the tech class’s hallmark abilities are really only anti-mutant tech:

1: Invalidate. Prowess is basically restricted to only mutants and the occasional node.
    2: Armor up buffs. The base ability of increasing armor isn’t very useful and its utility is, again, only really good for some mutants and the occasional node like dress code.
    3: Heal block. Regen is more widespread than prowess but it’s still basically a dead ability in the many non-regen matchups.
    4: Power control like power drain/burn or special lock. This is by far the most relevant thing techs can do but ironically we’re seeing it show up less and less. Arcade, Prowler, and Ironheart have limited/specific power control while champs like Shocker, LDS, and Shuri have none at all. Doesn’t help that Kabam seems less afraid to make counters to these abilities nowadays.

Whereas lots of champs these days seem to be getting diverse toolkits designed for usage in all sorts of matchups techs still seem to be stuck in a weird place where Kabam seems insistent on making them duller and duller scalpels besides a few standouts like FAM and Shuri. Arcade and Ironheart seemed to be trying to buck the trend by having more generically useful abilities but Ironheart hasn’t captured the same general usage someone like Scorpion has while Arcade just seems a bit undertuned. Kabam just needs to start giving techs the wider suite of abilities you’d think they’d get from technology anyways. That and maybe some extra damage.

What if they made a tech that could counter cosmic as well as mutant champs
    Shuri kind of does it since she can block a lot of their unblockable specials. And only a few are shock immune, but aren't reisitant to her crits. I use her against Serpent. She can also tank his Sp 3 when he gets that annoying power gain buff.
    That doesn't make her a counter to the cosmic class at all. Her best counters are predominantly cosmic champs

Squidopus said:

“Fun” little side note but it feels kinda weird that Ironheart was obviously intended as a soft counter to Onslaught but I find that her fellow release champion Dust is actually just as good at it if not better.

1: Ironheart reduces OAA by 150% against mutants while she has 5+ repulsor debuffs, letting her parry without triggering daunted. Dust’s parries automatically glance, so she gets to do the same thing without the (admittedly light) setup. Note that bc Onslaught is dumb Ironheart can’t fully prevent his sp1 effects through block so the extra AAR isn’t really an advantage.
    2: Ironheart has reversed controls immunity while her armor up buff is active. However, Dust has the psychic shielding tag which means she’s immune to Onslaught’s reverse controls on sp2 as well.
    3: both have heavy emphasis on physical damage that Onslaught can’t reduce or punish.
    4: Dust is not metal and can thus remove neuroshocks by dashing back unlike Ironheart.
    5: In war, Onslaught is pretty common on hazard shift nodes. Dust has more immunities and thus better play into these scenarios.

Basically techs stay losing, Kabam’s non-tech champions are better Onslaught counters than the techs they make for that explicit purpose.

Ironheart should’ve just been immune to Neuroshocks when she has an armor up. That change alone would’ve made her much more viable.
    Agreed. Espwcially since she was supposed to be his counter. Kabam had a chance to make Ironheart a #1 Tech, but they dropped the ball.

Had a chance again when she was up for a tune-up, but they dropped the ball again.
    She was never supposed to be his counter
    NONYABIZZ said:

EdisonLaw said:

Squidopus said:

The issue with techs these days is that they’re too pigeonholed into being mutant counters and little else, and even then the crop of mutants designed to handle Nimrod like Onslaught and Dust have put that niche under threat. Too many of the tech class’s hallmark abilities are really only anti-mutant tech:

1: Invalidate. Prowess is basically restricted to only mutants and the occasional node.
    2: Armor up buffs. The base ability of increasing armor isn’t very useful and its utility is, again, only really good for some mutants and the occasional node like dress code.
    3: Heal block. Regen is more widespread than prowess but it’s still basically a dead ability in the many non-regen matchups.
    4: Power control like power drain/burn or special lock. This is by far the most relevant thing techs can do but ironically we’re seeing it show up less and less. Arcade, Prowler, and Ironheart have limited/specific power control while champs like Shocker, LDS, and Shuri have none at all. Doesn’t help that Kabam seems less afraid to make counters to these abilities nowadays.

Whereas lots of champs these days seem to be getting diverse toolkits designed for usage in all sorts of matchups techs still seem to be stuck in a weird place where Kabam seems insistent on making them duller and duller scalpels besides a few standouts like FAM and Shuri. Arcade and Ironheart seemed to be trying to buck the trend by having more generically useful abilities but Ironheart hasn’t captured the same general usage someone like Scorpion has while Arcade just seems a bit undertuned. Kabam just needs to start giving techs the wider suite of abilities you’d think they’d get from technology anyways. That and maybe some extra damage.

Please NO!!!
    We are already complaining of every cosmic champion nowadays being immune to nullify, neutralize, stagger or fateseal which are STAPLES IN THE ONLY CLASS THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO SUFFER AGAINST. Kabam is bypassing staples of the game such as masteries and class relationships. Magneto was the only understandable exception because of the nature of his powers now we've gotten a science champion with unshruggable debuffs and you want tech to counter cosmic too???
    All of the cosmic champs that are immune to one of those effects are still best countered by mystic champs, they just require specific mystic abilities to be countered.

That’s exactly what I mean, Onslaught has a hard-Counter in other classes except tech. It should be a tech champ that’s good against him. Like you said, skill champs counter Photon efficiently. It shouldn’t just be techs that are good ofc, but make some of them viable against Onslaught. 😮‍💨

EdisonLaw said:

Squidopus said:

Shuri kind of does it since she can block a lot of their unblockable specials. And only a few are shock immune, but aren't reisitant to her crits. I use her against Serpent. She can also tank his Sp 3 when he gets that annoying power gain buff.
    That doesn't make her a counter to the cosmic class at all. Her best counters are predominantly cosmic champs
    I didn't say she was a solid counter. Just pointing out that she can block some their abilities.

That’s exactly what I mean, Onslaught has a hard-Counter in other classes except tech. It should be a tech champ that’s good against him. Like you said, skill champs counter Photon efficiently. It shouldn’t just be techs that are good ofc, but make some of them viable against Onslaught. 😮‍💨
    Ah ok gotcha. Yeah that should be the case. Kabam had their chance with Ironheart but they dropped the ball lol. I understand the nature of Magneto's abilities play a conflicting role in this. I honestly think Shuri and her Vibranium assests should have been a counter since Magneto can't control Vibranium.
  • RockSlydeRockSlyde Member Posts: 44
    The strongest tech champs are the ones who are not rooted in the typical tech class identity/relationship. Mutant counters are nice, but champs with general utility that covers matchups and nodes across the game are much more valuable. Guardian and prowler are my two r3s in the tech class, and they both work excellently against atypical tech matchups, like a variety of mystics. The tech class also has strong defenders like red skull and fantman. I don’t think it’s weak, but compared to the science 7* pool I definitely understand why they might seem that way since high damage is (justifiably) so highly sought after and techs trend a bit more towards utility
  • MysterioMysterio Member Posts: 1,105 ★★★★
    How can you say the tech class is lacking when the tech class has me?
  • Herbal_TaxmanHerbal_Taxman Member Posts: 447 ★★★

For those stating that Ironheart, Warlock, Guardian etc. are underrated and all, that is not the issue. I absolutely adore my r2 Ironheart and they are great champs. But they are not as amazing as the top of the other classes. I really liked the argument of techs being so focused on countering mutants that they lack in any other match-up and that is true. That used to work back when classes were countering each other but with the game growing more and more diverse, the tech class either needs a more generic way of being unique (like cosmics have buffs) or just at least start countering mutants again cause thanks to Nimrod every mutant is either punishing shocks, immune to shock or doesn’t have any prowess. Kabam just give us a tech that deals DAMAGE, preferably to every class. 🙏🏼

He’s called Shocker. Best tech champ in the game along with FAM, IMO. Not widely available as a 7*, so I understand why he’s somewhat on the margins. But he’s a totally unique build, which I think is lost on a lot of people. Yes, the big heavy damage is amazing but the best thing about him is that he does his thing without relying on debuffs on the opponent or buffs on himself. So it eliminates so many of the ways that fights tend to go wrong. And finally, there’s no annoying timer watching because his charges don’t expire until you use them.

For those stating that Ironheart, Warlock, Guardian etc. are underrated and all, that is not the issue. I absolutely adore my r2 Ironheart and they are great champs. But they are not as amazing as the top of the other classes. I really liked the argument of techs being so focused on countering mutants that they lack in any other match-up and that is true. That used to work back when classes were countering each other but with the game growing more and more diverse, the tech class either needs a more generic way of being unique (like cosmics have buffs) or just at least start countering mutants again cause thanks to Nimrod every mutant is either punishing shocks, immune to shock or doesn’t have any prowess. Kabam just give us a tech that deals DAMAGE, preferably to every class. 🙏🏼

He’s called Shocker. Best tech champ in the game along with FAM, IMO. Not widely available as a 7*, so I understand why he’s somewhat on the margins. But he’s a totally unique build, which I think is lost on a lot of people. Yes, the big heavy damage is amazing but the best thing about him is that he does his thing without relying on debuffs on the opponent or buffs on himself. So it eliminates so many of the ways that fights tend to go wrong. And finally, there’s no annoying timer watching because his charges don’t expire until you use them.
    I really wish he does true damage on his heavy hit. I'll say he is the best tech attacker in the game. I really love my shocker, Idk why people want rank down gems for him lmao. His heavies are the most satisfying thing in the game.

I actually do agree with you on this. I love my soon-to-be r3 Shocker as much in MCOC as I do outside of it. He just got the problem of still being bugged with armor up match-ups, as well as in stun-immune match-ups (where Onslaught is often placed in AW). Overall, I think Shocker is the best 7* Tech though. People whining about his glance nerf don’t deserve him in the first place.

I actually do agree with you on this. I love my soon-to-be r3 Shocker as much in MCOC as I do outside of it. He just got the problem of still being bugged with armor up match-ups, as well as in stun-immune match-ups (where Onslaught is often placed in AW). Overall, I think Shocker is the best 7* Tech though. People whining about his glance nerf don’t deserve him in the first place.
    Yeah man, I'll happily take a 7* shocker and rank up tickets instead of rank down tickets. But I think shocker needs high sig for bgs, so I won't r3 him if your shocker is unawakened and your focus is bg. In any other cases go for him.

My 6* r5a shocker is doing 40 sec onslaught matches. He is my mvp. I really wish he deals true damage on heavy hit, and they remove his armor bug.

EdisonLaw said:

No, it's her DAAR. Once ensnared, opponent cannot evade. I've used her against him last season when we didn't have true strike bonus.

This is for whoever disagreed and are mad about the facts 😂

HE....CANNOT.....EVADE.
    No True Strike, just Jabari Panther's Ensnare debuff.

• PolygonPolygon Member Posts: 4,397 ★★★★★
    Red skull is the tech goat but theres a lot of Guardian slander here. IMIW is also a goated defender, and sparky attacker.