Guardian is a Serpent counter?

EdisonLawEdisonLaw Member Posts: 6,119 ★★★★★
edited September 20 in General Discussion

Comments

• Shadow_ShooterShadow_Shooter Member Posts: 326 ★★★
    interesting watch, does guardian have to do well timed blocks to gain power?
  • EdisonLawEdisonLaw Member Posts: 6,119 ★★★★★

Well as long as he has armor, he can well time block the specials. Special 2 is easier since SP1 is a beam
  • JLordVileJJLordVileJ Member Posts: 3,144 ★★★★

Yeah but it's not too hard. On that note, couldn't sunspot work? Also og cap would go hard
  • Giantwalrus56Giantwalrus56 Member Posts: 919 ★★★★

As long as he has an armor up, yes. Parrying special grant him extra power

Yeah but it's not too hard. On that note, couldn't sunspot work? Also og cap would go hard
    Sunspot possibly could but Serp has crit resist
  • Nemesis_17Nemesis_17 Member Posts: 2,155 ★★★★★
    The ranks shown in this duel make it seem like a better matchup than it is. A maxed 5* against a non maxed 6* is far from a good battlegrounds portrayal. He won’t do enough damage normally since serpent reduces instant bursts by 60% which guardian gets a lot of damage from.
    Here was my 6* r1 unleveled guardian against a 7* r1 unduped serpent. This was literally a clean fight lol the worst mistake I made was missing the parry on like 2 of his sp1s. Sp1 sp1 sp2 rotation only took him to 30%, I had to build to another sp1 to sp2 to kill him, and all of this is without death immunity at play.

Og cap would do 10 percent before timing out bruh💀
    Still waiting for that OG Cap rework, aren't we @captain_rogers

The ranks shown in this duel make it seem like a better matchup than it is. A maxed 5* against a non maxed 6* is far from a good battlegrounds portrayal. He won’t do enough damage normally since serpent reduces instant bursts by 60% which guardian gets a lot of damage from.
    Here was my 6* r1 unleveled guardian against a 7* r1 unduped serpent. This was literally a clean fight lol the worst mistake I made was missing the parry on like 2 of his sp1s. Sp1 sp1 sp2 rotation only took him to 30%, I had to build to another sp1 to sp2 to kill him, and all of this is without death immunity at play.

How would a r3 Guardian do against a r3 Serpent
    EdisonLaw said:

How would a r3 Guardian do against a r3 Serpent
    (Skip to the screenshots for the results if you don’t care about the math I used to try and test it.)

It’s difficult to say with 100% accuracy. The best I could do was try and compare the pi ratio of attacker to defender in battlegrounds when serpent is on defense and try to match that ratio in a duel. R3 serpent depending on sig has about 78k-79k pi with class advantage and r3 guardian at mid sig has about 31k with class disadvantage. When rounding it’s basically a 1:2.5 ratio of Guardian’s champ rating to serpent’s.

My r1 serpent in a duel has 20k pi with class advantage. To maintain the 1:2.5 ratio I would need a guardian with 8k pi, os I leveled up my 6* r1 guardian and overshot a bit which got him to 8.5k with class disadvantage so this test is a little bit in his favor. I was early on a couple parries when serpent has pierce so give guardian like 15% more health in both fights shown. Anyways here’s what I got:
    First fight was sp1 sp1 sp2 rotation which got him down to like 15%, so I had to use another sp2 to kill. I tried to go sp3 instead to see if that would be faster, and this is how it ended up:
    So TLDR no don’t try out this matchup lol. All of this was against an unduped serpent so he didn’t even have to deal with Serpent’s biggest problem. I think Guardian works as a backup if we’re talking r3 guardian with 6* hulkbuster relic vs r2 unduped serpent, where going sp1 sp1 sp2 would probably kill. Otherwise, I wouldn’t go out of your way to force this matchup.
  • captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Member Posts: 7,943 ★★★★★

He needs high sig for the energy resistance right
    EdisonLaw said:

Og cap would do 10 percent before timing out bruh💀
    Still waiting for that OG Cap rework, aren't we @captain_rogers
    WE HAD THE CHANCEEE!!
    edited 4:13AM

He needs high sig for the energy resistance right
    Yea he does. If you parry every special and don’t fumble like I did he’ll finish pretty high health unduped too though.
  • Real_Madrid_76_2Real_Madrid_76_2 Member Posts: 3,549 ★★★★★
    Finally someone who found this out. I used him for serpent war bosses and the power gain on well timed blocks against sp1, oh my goodness, that's so exciting. Since I have practised guardian a lot against special attacks from different opponents, i am near to mastery with his well timed blocks
  • J0eySn0wJ0eySn0w Member Posts: 942 ★★★★
    EdisonLaw said:

Well as long as he has armor, he can well time block the specials. Special 2 is easier since SP1 is a beam
    Yeah. Personally, the problem I have with his sp2 is another power gain buff just making him throw endless specials. You end up spending majority of the fight baiting and blocking his long specials and less time actually doing damage. In a matchup where time doesn’t really matter, might be better route.
  • peixemacacopeixemacaco Member Posts: 2,290 ★★★★
    Great info.

2 days ago I sent Bullseye as defender on BG and my rival pick Serpent to attack.

Bullseye won
    Does og ironman work as well?
  • Ayden_noah1Ayden_noah1 Member Posts: 1,707 ★★★★
    I would like to see a video of Guardian taking down Serpent in Bg. Hopefully a rank 3 Guardian against a rank 3 awakened Serpent to see if it's actually viable.