**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Detailed Thoughts on Iron Man (IW) -- Warning: It's a long read!

ESFESF Posts: 1,944 ★★★★★
edited May 2018 in General Discussion
Hi, folks! Hope all is well with everyone!

First: a warning: This is gonna be LONG. If you don't like a ton of words and whatever, don't get frustrated, because here's the short version: Iron Man (IW) is a very, very good character -- but to maximize using him, you need to be skilled. He is not a character where the damage is immediate, and you need to be good at baiting specials and not getting hit, especially when his molecular armor is not up. Plus: He does not need to be awakened...but it helps if he is.

OK. Got all that? That's that simplest explanation I can give. If you want more details about how I came to these conclusions, read on!

First, the basics: I have the three-star version, rank 4/40. I had an awakening gem, which I used, and took him to level 8. I'll cover that at the end, because really, you don't get much benefit from the signature ability until you have taken a beating in a fight...but when it kicks in, yeah, it's helpful. Really helpful.

Where did I test him: Expert difficulty in the Daily Proving Grounds, primarily. Mainly because those lanes feature pretty aggressive AI, with decent opponent health pools and the L3s activated. That's where I do the bulk of my testing for 3-stars, because their health pools aren't the greatest.

What I think:
1. Iron Man (IW) is not a horribly complicated character...but: You need to decide how you're gonna play him for each fight. You really kinda need a plan of how you want to distribute the damage he can inflict, because this character is all about Shock, Incinerate or Plasma Damage.

2. What does that mean?: IM (IW)'s basic attack damage isn't great -- it's pretty average, actually. You are not tearing through content just by punching. The play style is getting to the L1, L2 or L3, firing off whichever special you want, and then inflicting either Shock, Incinerate or Plasma Damage. That's where you see the damage start to accumulate -- he's very much like Void in the regard that this character is absolutely punishing with DOT (Damage Over Time, if you're new to game terminology.)

3. But why?: Because now we're to the good part, people: Once Shock or Incinerate or Plasma Damage is inflicted, it's gonna be on for just about ever -- the only time it will fall off is if you have to try to bait out a special over an extended period of time and it falls off. That will happen, but don't get too frustrated -- you'll be able to fire off another special soon enough and get right back to dealing pain, misery and death to your enemies. I really like how Kabam designed this mechanic -- as you know from reading the Character Spotlight, Iron Man's basic attacks feature Unblockable/Non-Evadable Repulsor Bursts which refresh whichever debuff state is active. So once you fire off that special, you are dealing the kind of damage that you will want to see.

4. However...: That means you are not going to get the big "Corvus Glaive/Proxima Midnight" special attack annihilations, or the Captain America (IW) special damage. Again: Iron Man (IW) is not like that. He's making you suffer, again, like Void -- IIRC, there's no character immune to Shock, right? Or maybe Corvus Glaive is now? So that's the money play -- if the character burns or can be shocked, welp. Game Over, man. Game Over.

5. That's it? That's all there is?: Nope. There's all kinds of good stuff still, including this little feature: Iron Man (IW) is absolutely lethal against Mutants. Holy cow. I didn't face a Magneto so I don't know if Magnetized might do something funky and keep the DOT from proccing, but if it doesn't, the Master of Magnetism dies just like the rest.

6. What do I mean?: Another significant feature for Iron Man (IW) is the Armor Break and Heal Block he inflicts, especially the Heal Block. Oh, my gosh. Annoying X-23s and OMLs and OG Deadpools...done like dinner. That's a 16-second Heal Block, folks. SIXTEEN SECONDS. The armor breaks aren't quite as long, but once they're on, they absolutely do help with the base damage the character deals. Think about it like this: Know those really irritating nodes in Infinity Dungeons, with Arc Overload 2.0, or mutants and Iron Man, etc., healing at the least opportune times? Yep. You are ABSOLUTELY SHUTTING THAT S*** DOWN. See what I mean?

7. Reminder: I am only an above-average player, sooooo...: If you are skilled, you will love this character for one reason: Molecular Armor. Iron Man (IW)'s Molecular Armor procs on offense AND defense. See the difference between Iron Man (IW) and Cap (IW)? Cap's Kinetic Charges only proc on hits -- and skilled players don't like taking any damage, chip or otherwise, to proc it. But with Iron Man, skilled players will be able to do their thing, get his Molecular Armor up, and when you do: Look out. His damage reduction with the Molecular Armor up is something to behold -- a skilled player is gonna be able to tank some content with this character, and that's a credit and reward to them for being skilled enough to intercept consistently and not eat a lot of chip damage.

8. What about the Signature Ability? Did you forget?: Nope, here's the the thing: You aren't going to see this until you are below 15 percent health...but when you are there, it's REALLY, REALLY, REALLY helpful. Here's an actual example: I missed an intercept against a Jane Foster, then compounded the problem by missing an evade on an L1. So now I'm shocked. THEN, to make it even worse, I miss another intercept and get stunned because I'm shocked. Yeah. I am just eating damage while stunned, should've died for my carelessness, would've with many other characters...but Iron Man (IW)'s signature ability hooked me up like this: I have taken my beating all the way to 5 percent health...but because I have taken a beating, I have Molecular Armor up, and because of the signature ability, I am now gaining power CONTINUOUSLY.

9. Wait, what? What was that, again?: Yep. Gaining power CONTINUOUSLY. So here's what I did, with 5 percent health against a Jane Foster with roughly 10K health remaining: Gained power to hit her with an L3; boom. Plasma Damage. Still gaining power continuously...so then I hit her with an L1...and the Shock stacks WITH the Plasma damage. Whoa. AND I'M STILL GAINING POWER CONTINUOUSLY, because I'm below 15 percent health, and I'm refreshing the Molecular Armor AND the DOT by hitting her with those Unblockable/Non-evadable Repulsor Bursts from point No. 3. Remember? And almost before I know it...Jane Foster's done like dinner. So, yeah. You don't have much use for the signature ability until you are in trouble...but man, is it handy when you are.

10: So where would I even use this character, if he isn't dealing Burst Damage?: One word, kids: SAFEGUARD. Oh, my gosh. If you find that node annoying, and if you found last month's Chadwick/Tom Challenge to be annoying AF...I'm thinking maybe an Iron Man (IW) would be seriously helpful there, as well as in long fights where, if you're skilled, you are just going to be dealing a ton of DOT just by playing and firing specials.

In summation: There's really a lot to like about Iron Man (IW). There really is. For my play style and how I like to build teams, this is a great character to me, especially since I don't have a four-star or five-star Void.

But if I had to bet, some folks aren't going to like him as much as they want, because the damage isn't huge and immediate. This character is really balanced between offense and defense -- and to get the best out of him, you really want to pair him with Cap (IW), because of the additional damage reduction. Combine the defensive capability with the DOT, serious Heal Block capabilities and Armor Break, to me, this is an extremely useful and effective character...but I am curious about what the rest of the community will think.

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• Options
    bloodyCainbloodyCain Posts: 910 ★★★
    point 3 mistake: his basic attacks a.k.a the Repulsor part is not UNBLOCKABLE. It is UNPARRYABLE. It is UNEVADABLE and that part is correct.
  • Options
    DaMunkDaMunk Posts: 1,883 ★★★★
    Thanks for the review. I've been curious about him. I don't have one but reading his abilities he looks like a great aw offense champ. Sort of prepared for about any node or opponent. Sometimes they read much better than they play though.
  • Options
    Vivek_786Vivek_786 Posts: 217
    Helpful
  • Options
    bloodyCain wrote: »
    point 3 mistake: his basic attacks a.k.a the Repulsor part is not UNBLOCKABLE. It is UNPARRYABLE. It is UNEVADABLE and that part is correct.

Thanks for clarifying -- didn't mean to mislead anyone, hopefully people understood what zi meant. I didn't word it properly, which is on me.
  • Options
    DaMunk wrote: »
    Thanks for the review. I've been curious about him. I don't have one but reading his abilities he looks like a great aw offense champ. Sort of prepared for about any node or opponent. Sometimes they read much better than they play though.

Thanks for reading it!

Really, I am curious for when a really skilled player gets their hands on a four- or five-star -- I think there is probably a significant level of DOT that can be hit with this character at maybe 4/40 or higher, but as you said, that's speculation.

But a better player than me is gonna be able to keep stacks of Molecular Armor and then stack debuffs, too...I have a feeling that might be something to see. A high-skill player is gonna be able to put in work with the character, I think

• Options
    Vivek_786 wrote: »
    Helpful

Thanks for reading!
  • Options
    13_Dub13_Dub Posts: 28
    @ESF what about in Aw on defense? Thoughts?
  • Options
    DrOctavius2_2DrOctavius2_2 Posts: 432 ★★
    How does his damage overtime compare to Archangel if the opponent can be shocked and incinerated?
  • Options
    Cats73Cats73 Posts: 314
    13_Dub wrote: »

Could be annoying with his sig, but he's better on offense. Kind of a hyperion situation where you have a champ that's good on both AW attack and defense.

• Options

See, there's a couple of components to that.

The first is that since he procs Molecular Armor when struck, it's gonna almost always be up unless you Armor Break him. You get him on a chunky node and you don't have a character who can Break him...plus when he has Armor active, he shrugs off Bleed and Coldsnap, yeah. The Visions and Magik will have significantly reduced Power Burn, Power Steal.

Yeah. Could be a problem.

Because he can/will AutoBlock you, too, with enough Molecular Armors active...I don't play a lot of AW, and not at the highest levels. So i am not certain who elite teams are using for attack.

But if nobody brings a Medusa, something like that...he could really be a problem on high health or stun immunity node.

Because Archangel might not be able to get the Bleeds active, which means you don't get the poison. Coldsnap is out...Blade might not be a good solution, either...

Spark could be good against him...Elite players will have Corvus Glaive or Proxima Midnight...yeah.

He could be tough on defense, for sure.
  • Options
    How does his damage overtime compare to Archangel if the opponent can be shocked and incinerated?

Archangel is still faster, especially with Deep Wounds. He's insane with his speed.

The counter, though, is that Archangel cannot bleed every character, while Iron Man can nail just about everything with Shock. It's more Void-level, but it's definitely consistent and, again, once it's procced, the uptime is incredible.

• Options
    Cats73 wrote: »

Could be annoying with his sig, but he's better on offense. Kind of a hyperion situation where you have a champ that's good on both AW attack and defense.

Exactly. I said it at the end, but the character really is very balanced. I could see people using it for both sides...I think i would try him on stun immunity on defense at first, see what happens.
  • Options
    Oh, man. Oh, my gosh.

Everything I said up there about the damage?

I take it all back. All of it.

You can stack Plasma Charges. Oh, my gosh. You can STACK THEM.

I didn't understand that clearly, because I was playing fights with opponents with decent health pools, but not huge ones, so I didn't really have the ability to open it up.

But I just took it in against ROL Winter Soldier, and here's the thing: A skilled player is gonna be able to stack Plasma Charges, and it is GAME EFFING OVER, because of the uptime that comes with the attack refresh.

A skilled player is going to be...oh, my gosh. Oh, my gosh.
  • Options
    T9951T9951 Posts: 103
    Good review . Did not see you metion anything about power drain. Also WS is a terrible test for him. The main reason is because you can push to SP3. So the aggressiveness will change .
  • Options
    T9951 wrote: »
    Good review . Did not see you metion anything about power drain. Also WS is a terrible test for him. The main reason is because you can push to SP3. So the aggressiveness will change .

This is kinda true, but the power drain when Plasma Charge is active works like a charm. You can keep characters from hitting you with an L3...as long as you keep that Plasma Charge up.

Really, the huge problem is that I only have a three-star. People, me included, kinda need to see what the DOT is on a four or five-star. I just can't predict how it will scale. If it's decemt, and a person is skilled and can stack these properties...yikes
  • Options
    YoMovesYoMoves Posts: 1,281 ★★★★
    ESF wrote: »

Exactly. I said it at the end, but the character really is very balanced. I could see people using it for both sides...I think i would try him on stun immunity on defense at first, see what happens.

Okay, but let me ask you a question, really quick.

How do you beat him on the Immunity node? I want a solid answer. A champ that will do well against an Iron Man IW that can't be afflicted with debuffs. Give me a good option. Or heck. One that won't die the instant he gets to 15%.
  • Options
    New_Noob168New_Noob168 Posts: 1,567 ★★★★
    Hmm...new term...unevadable. So, I guess you can block it and get blocked damage. Getting complicated.
  • Options
    YoMoves wrote: »

How do you beat him on the Immunity node? I want a solid answer. A champ that will do well against an Iron Man IW that can't be afflicted with debuffs. Give me a good option. Or heck. One that won't die the instant he gets to 15%.

Get him down to 15% with intercepting, then evade his specials until he runs out of armor.
  • Options
    ChampioncriticChampioncritic Posts: 3,347 ★★★★
    bloodyCain wrote: »

it's unevadable but not undexterity-able right?
  • Options
    it's unevadable but not undexterity-able right?

Yeah you can use dexterity, just that you can't auto evade it.
  • Options
    YoMovesYoMoves Posts: 1,281 ★★★★

Get him down to 15% with intercepting, then evade his specials until he runs out of armor.

Hit him once, watch an armor pop up, and do it again. Repeat until timeout at 12%.
  • Options
    MarzGrooveMarzGroove Posts: 903 ★★★
    His utility is better than his damage. Even when stacking two to three plasmas, it isn’t that great. What’s great is the power control, the bleed immunity, the coldsnap immunity, and the evasion counter.
  • Options
    Lt_Magnum_1Lt_Magnum_1 Posts: 639 ★★
    Iron Man IW is the Tech version of Iceman. He is not a high damage champ but he has insane utility. His best niche would be AW defense. His unblockable projectiles, Autoblock, and passive power gain is going to bring lots of trouble.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Each stack of Plasma does 200 damage per tic on my 5* rank 2. Medium crits do 1200. Light crits do 850.

Tested with mutant crit team vs RoL Winter Soldier.
  • Options
    MarzGroove wrote: »
    His utility is better than his damage. Even when stacking two to three plasmas, it isn’t that great. What’s great is the power control, the bleed immunity, the coldsnap immunity, and the evasion counter.

Also the unblockable special, the heal block, and the block proficiency.
  • Options
    BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★

Corvus Glaive with Proxima synergy. Removes all his armour with one parry, true strike ignoring armour and autoblock, power drain with L2. Plus killer damage. Corvus is IMIW counter.
  • Options

Corvus Glaive with Proxima synergy. Removes all his armour with one parry, true strike ignoring armour and autoblock, power drain with L2. Plus killer damage. Corvus is IMIW counter.

Yep. Corvus is the clearest and best answer. Medusa, as well, especially with Armor Shatter.

You have to approach him like you do any of the StarkTech characters: You have to actively plan what you are doing before they hit 15-20 percent.

I think something like Fate Seal should work. Again: He is only proccing the Power Gain if the Molecular Armor is active. A Juggernaut or Hood with Staggered should keep that from proccing, for example.

There are ways to beat him. But if folks don't think about what they are doing and don't plan for it...welp.

• Options
    BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★
    edited May 2018

Yep. Corvus is the clearest and best answer. Medusa, as well, especially with Armor Shatter.

You have to approach him like you do any of the StarkTech characters: You have to actively plan what you are doing before they hit 15-20 percent.

I think something like Fate Seal should work. Again: He is only proccing the Power Gain if the Molecular Armor is active. A Juggernaut or Hood with Staggered should keep that from proccing, for example.

There are ways to beat him. But if folks don't think about what they are doing and don't plan for it...welp.
    w24i60tdpden.png
    Fateseal (which is essentially what Hex is) doesn’t work

k6e3g3f5z4e4.png
    Stagger doesn’t work

zprb0j2859nt.png
    Medusa armour break removes one armour stack, but doesn’t prevent armour triggering while armour shattered.

• Options
    @BitterSteel: WHAAAATTTT

OMG What good are Fate Seal and Staggered...oh, my gosh. If those don't work, LOL

That's where this game is messed up. I like champions like Iron Man (IW). But if stuff like Fate Seal and Stagger don't work against a character like this, then what point is there even having those mechanics in the game