**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Can SP2 > SP3?

MoudouMoudou Posts: 151
So I am just a week into the game and I have 3* Iceman and 3* Gwenpool who have been very useful. I may be wrong but it seems like their special 2 attacks deal more damage than their special 3 attacks. Can this be the case or am I mistaken? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Supremeguy95Supremeguy95 Posts: 447
    Gp's Sp3 applies an armor break which makes basic attacks hit harder, but her sp2 can deal more damage if it crits.
  • Options
    Jh_DezJh_Dez Posts: 1,306 ★★★
    Special 3s don't crit but sp2 and 1 crits so yea sp2 deals more damage than sp3 when they crit
  • Options
    DrGonorrheaDrGonorrhea Posts: 44
    Scarlet Witch is a really good example of this.
  • Options
    MoudouMoudou Posts: 151
    Ok that's makes sense.
  • Options
    SavageBreaker69SavageBreaker69 Posts: 70
    In my opinion, many champions Sp2 are better than their Sp3. But I could be wrong, I almost never activate thier Sp3 and always go for their Sp2
  • Options
    DarkestDestroyerDarkestDestroyer Posts: 2,875 ★★★★★
    @Moudou for GP you want to use a sp3 first and apply the armor break, then the sp1/2 will do even more damage aswell as normal hits.

Iceman try to keep doing his sp1, his sp2 removes his ice armor, however his sp3 can get it back again if you need it before the clock resets it.
  • Options
    Jh_DezJh_Dez Posts: 1,306 ★★★
    In my opinion, many champions Sp2 are better than their Sp3. But I could be wrong, I almost never activate thier Sp3 and always go for their Sp2

A good example is gamora
    Her sp3 is useless compared to her sp2
  • Options
    Scopeotoe987Scopeotoe987 Posts: 1,548 ★★★★★
    Symbiote Spider-Mans SP3 can sometimes be weaker then the SP2 depending on the armor break.
  • Options
    MagrailothosMagrailothos Posts: 5,368 ★★★★★
    edited May 2018
    You're right, as people above have said. It's worth learning about individual champions and what their SP3s do vs what their SP2s do. The raw damage varies; and the additional effects (if there are any) may be more or less impressive on their SP3.

Special-3 attacks are unavoidable; so can't be blocked. If you are fighting a very defensive champion; or one who Evades a lot, you may well want to save up for a Special-3 attack.

As a general rule, if your champion relies on criticals (like Gamora and Cyclops), their SP2 will be a better source of damage. In fact for both of these guys, their Signature ability can't trigger on a Special-3.

Certain champions whose SP3 inflicts armour break have really effective SP3s - notably old-style champions Iron Man, Superior Iron Man and Hulkbuster (and Thor if he's Awakened). For these guys, it is worth saving for a SP3 (especially since it's a bit hard to connect with the SP2 of IM/SIM).
  • Options
    klobberintymeklobberintyme Posts: 1,429 ★★★★
    edited May 2018
    Sp3s are unblockable irregardless of the champ. That's why you use one. The end.
  • Options
    DarkestDestroyerDarkestDestroyer Posts: 2,875 ★★★★★
    Sp3s are unblockable irregardless of the champ. That's why you use one. The end.

Lol I never use a sp3, very rarely.

Maybe Magik or Morningstar, but most are terrible. Fun to watch maybe, but just because they are unblockable doesn’t mean they are used 😂 what a silly thing to say
  • Options
    ZzyzxGuyZzyzxGuy Posts: 1,292 ★★★
    Off the top of my head, I can't think of a champ whose sp2 is weaker than the sp3... Cyclops maybe?

Sp3s are mainly used for their utility or a guaranteed hit.
  • Options
    ZzyzxGuyZzyzxGuy Posts: 1,292 ★★★

*Regardless
  • Options
    Ou_YeahOu_Yeah Posts: 45
    I rarely use SP3, but here are some which are useful:
    Medusa - Armor shattered for 35 seconds
    Sparky - Ensnare evading opponents
    Hyperion - 3 cosmic charges
    Magik - Insane damage if opponent has lots of buffs
    SW - Nullify all buffs
    GR - Damnation & Reset all judgments
    Vision - If opponent cannot be power drained or ability accuracy is reduced, only SP3 will have guaranteed damage
    NC - Permanently increase Deep Wounds chance
    Mordo - Fury plus chance to heal
    GP - Armor Break
    Groot - Only bc Sp2 sucks