**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

A Tale of Redemption Made Possible by MCOC

JC_JC_ Posts: 517 ★★★
Warning - Long post ahead

So, in December a guy joined my old alliance and we quickly became friends. Eventually we both ended up leaving that alliance together because of time zone issues, and found the alliance that I’m currently in.

In January he had brain surgery, and recovery didn’t go well. He started to become really irritable and angry most of the time, this resulted in him getting kicked from our alliance, and also getting kicked out of his house by his wife.

So, at this point he is homeless (in Hawaii, which he says is this best case scenario for homeless people) but still has his phone with service disconnected.

We stayed in touch, as he was still hooking up to various WiFi hotspots and playing the game on a regular basis.

Eventually he mentioned to me that he was working on an old car that someone had given him, trying to get it going so he would have a means of transportation.

He never once asked me for money, but I really wanted to help so I sent a few hundred bucks.

Within a few days he had interviews lined up, and eventually landed a construction job, but he had to have his own boots, etc. so I sent him some more cash.

I know it’s a bad idea to send money to people you met online, and I never really expected to get it back. He would grind a lot of arena and send me items in game at times and that was cool with me.

Well, he starts work, and with his very first two paychecks he pays me back in full while barely keeping any money for himself.

Since then he has purchased a nicer vehicle and moved into an apartment. He seems to be completely back on his feet and extremely motivated to continue rebuilding his life.

Anyway, I wanted to share this with the community...normally I am a more private person but I thought this was a really cool connection that never would’ve happened if not for a silly game that takes way too much of my time and money. Thanks Kabam! :)

Comments

• Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,248 ★★★★★
    I love this. Thank you for sharing.
  • Options
    DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,551 ★★★★★
    Terrific story.

Dr. Zola
  • Options
    J_PattJ_Patt Posts: 67
    I love this story thank you for sharing it, it made my long Monday better 😊
  • Options
    Cats4lifeCats4life Posts: 141
    This made me think of my old friend but I don't want to get into it because this is your story but all I have too say is that this made me have hope that there is still nice people like you
  • Options
    JC_JC_ Posts: 517 ★★★
    @Slay_Monster

Thank you bro!! And you aren’t hijackjng at all, I actually just checked out his channel for the first time, great stuff.

And yes, I agree. Unfortunately I have been a part of the negativity at times, that’s something I’m trying to stay away from. This game has flaws, but overall I have really enjoyed my time spent playing it and interacting with the community.

@Cats4life Please share your story!
  • Options
    BrandonisBatmanBrandonisBatman Posts: 105
    This was amazing man. Thank you.
  • Options
    BK_1BK_1 Posts: 145
    Great story. Very glad you shared this and I found it here. Thank you.
  • Options
    danielmathdanielmath Posts: 4,045 ★★★★★
    RichTheMan wrote: »
    This was a brilliant heart warming story , I would like to mention this on MCOC News at some point this week. If that is ok with you?

Shout me out also, yesterday was my birthday lol

lmao!
  • Options
    FingfangfoomfanesFingfangfoomfanes Posts: 1,102 ★★★
    Confidence in humanity restored.
  • Options
    Mitchell35Mitchell35 Posts: 1,897 ★★★★
    Wow. Incredible.
  • Options
    WOKWOK Posts: 468 ★★
    I feel this needs to stay visible on the 1st page of threads. Anyone else with me?
  • Options
    Mainer123Mainer123 Posts: 527 ★★
    Good for both of you . With all the **** going on it the world today it’s nice to hear a story of people helping people. Karma is a wonderful thing . Best of luck in the future
  • Options
    Crazyjack719Crazyjack719 Posts: 425 ★★
    Awesome story and comeback from your mate! We can sometimes forget in all the hate towards Kabam and rivalry amongst alliances that this is a co op game that can bring people together spark these kind of friendships.
  • Options
    Star_Lord_Star_Lord_ Posts: 528 ★★★
    Great post! We definitely need more like this. Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    Anurag1606Anurag1606 Posts: 1,174 ★★★
    I'm so glad that I opened this thread and read it even though you warned it being long in the very beginning. I loved it for 2 things, such refreshing positivity amidst so much backlash. And second, the friendship, the hope the kindness, basically true humanity. This really made my day. Thankyou.
  • Options
    ShrimkinsShrimkins Posts: 1,479 ★★★★
    Another example that sometimes people just need some help from another person who cares.

Online gaming does bring people together. One of the reasons I enjoy it so much.
  • Options
    ContestOfNoobsContestOfNoobs Posts: 1,454 ★★★★
    bump cause I got teary and accidently bumped this
  • Options
    Avengerboy99Avengerboy99 Posts: 99
    We need more people like you in this world fam. Great job!
  • Options
    Batman_X10Batman_X10 Posts: 65
    Beautiful!
  • Options
    StingerbkStingerbk Posts: 160 ★★
    Bump, amazing story
  • Options
    DestroyerDestroyer Posts: 130
    JC,

Thanks for posting this. It would be nice if you could post an update in a few months. Obviously I don't know the guy, but I'm pulling for him!! I have also made a few friends from all corners of the world that I never would have made but for this game. MCOC may fade, but the friendships made through the game will endure. This is the sole reason I have stuck with the game during the rough spots: item cap, WP/BP nerf, 12.0, etc. Hoping Kabam can keep it going for years to come.
  • Options
    DeadJoe543DeadJoe543 Posts: 29
    Beautiful story my friend. Seriously, this is just amazing.