**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Building-up Momentum with the Unstoppable Juggernaut

Colonaut123Colonaut123 Posts: 3,091 ★★★★★
Juggernaut and the Unstoppable Colossus are not anyone’s favourite. Pulling a Juggernaut as first 5* is enough reason to throw your smartphone out of the window. Saving over 800.000 Loyalty just for a 5* Unstoppable Colossus seems to be a bad choice. Even more because unawakened, they are an absolute waste, only good enough for arena fodder.

So yeah, reworking those two are one of the many on Kabam’s list. So why giving priority to these two? One word: potential. Or better said: momentum. Momentum is in the comics that which makes Juggernaut unstoppable. Momentum gives him his strength and durability. In the MCOC, momentum could get a central spot in the abilities of the two unstoppable champions.

Both champions can build up Momentum Charges. These Momentum Charges are gained through fighting: for every 5% of Juggernaut’s or Unstoppable Colossus’ health that is dealt as damage, they gain a charge up to a maximum of 20. So if you hit multiple times, the moment the combined damage of the hits reach 5%, a charge is given. However, the calculation simply continues: the moment the combined damage reaches 10%, a second charge is given. If in one hit you deal 15%, you get 3 charges. The Momentum Charges are persistent and transfer to the next fight. Charges are however lost when KO’ed.

Special Attacks consume three till seven Momentum Charges to turn it into an Unstoppable buff that lasts 2 seconds and a Concussion and Daze debuff that reduces Ability Accuracy by 50% for 10 seconds. Special Attack 1 places one debuff of each while Special Attack 2 and 3 places two debuffs of each. Special Attack 3 also stuns for 2.5 seconds for the cost of two charges. However, the damage of Special Attacks still counts for the calculation of Momentum Charges so I think this will result in a net loss till slightly net gain of charges. Charges are only spend when they activate the buffs/debuffs, so when blocking you’ll only lose a charge for activating the Unstoppable buff.

I think these buffs are better than the Stagger mechanic. Stagger works best for predictable buffs such as Superior Iron Man’s Self-Repair. Most buffs are unpredictable which means you constantly need to refresh the Stagger to have your class advantage. Even more, Stagger is consumed so it is entirely possible you nullified one buff but another one is immediately triggered afterwards. This is in terms of gameplay much worse than for instant Mephisto’s Soul Imprisonment. With Special Attack 2 and 3 you can copy the effect of Mephisto (a total of -100% Ability Accuracy) for 2/3rds of the duration but much better (bleed debuffs are for instant considered to be Offensive Abilities, so de facto Juggernaut becomes bleed immune).

Every Momentum charge gives a +5% increase in power gain when attacking or being attacked. When the 20 charges are reached, they convert in an Power Gain, an extra potent Fury (I’m thinking roughly equal to Hulk Smash Fury) and Unstoppable buff that lasts +50% longer. For Unstoppable Colossus, an extra potent Armor Up buff is added. I think Kabam has to decide if these big buffs should stack with the smaller Fury and Armor Up buffs. They know best what is most balanced.

I also suggest to make Cyttorak’s Favor the signature ability of both Juggernaut and Unstoppable Colossus. As today, Cyttorak’s Favor makes increases the duration of the Unstoppable buff. But on top of that, I suggest that every Momentum Charges adds a stackable amount of damage and armor score. This would make them both more sustainable and quicker to build up Momentum Charges. It would worth saving Loyalty to dupe the 4* and 5* Unstoppable Colossus.

The current Fury and Armor Up buffs of Juggernaut and Unstoppable Colossus stay as well. I do suggest Unstoppable Colossus to have his Armor Up trigger both when attacked and with all attacks. He’s a Colossus and Juggernaut in one, so he should be a combo of both. Colossus triggers Armor Up fairly consistently, so you can reliably have one, two or even three Amor Ups active when deploying a Special Attack. Unstoppable Colossus doesn’t have that. Yeah, he has Fury but how often do you have them both at the same time and a full Special Attacks bar? I rarely have. So: higher chance of getting Armor Up.

I suggest that the Special Attack damage of Unstoppable Colossus is increased per armor score for all Special Attacks like Colossus but that it is lower, instead of 130% it is only 65%. This is for two reasons: consistency and balance. Colossus is meant to have the higher Special damage output. As Unstoppable Colossus gets a higher chance of Armor Up, have the Fury buff and the passive damage/armor score increase of his sig, it might make his Special Attacks too potent. So yeah, a compromise has to be made.

But what would the point of Juggernaut be if Unstoppable Colossus would be better in any respect? Well, Juggernaut would be the only one that starts the fight with an Unstoppable buff. Currently, Unstoppable Colossus has that to when awakened but I suggest removing that. On top of that, Juggernaut should become Unstoppable when dashing, with a chance of being Unblockable depending on size, just like Rhino. This might require a change in his medium attack, making his head butt first and his uppercut second. This dash attack’s damage counts double for building up charges, so Juggernaut has this edge. His heavy attack also has a chance to place Concussion/Daze debuffs but these only reduce Ability Accuracy by 25%.

But won’t they be insane AW bosses? Not necessarily. Their Momentum Charges are based on damage dealt relative to their own health. Nodes with high health boosts makes it harder to gain charges. And they both heavy rely on charges to activate their best abilities. Provoking Special Attacks will reduce the charges. So no worries: a skilled player will be able to keep Momentum low.

These changes would make Juggernaut and Unstoppable Colossus ideal for killing bosses. You can build-up Momentum with each fight. As most bosses have high health, both of them will be able to multiple stacks of charges each fight. It allows for tactics: do I go for the full 20 or do I hover at like 15 for maximum power gain (and damage/armor score when awakened/duped)? It will make them both incredibly fun to play with. It would make them worth pulling or buying. Kabam can make money by having players gain more Loyalty.

Comments

• Options
    Colonaut123Colonaut123 Posts: 3,091 ★★★★★
    I forgot: the Concussion and Daze debuffs should exempt non-damage debuffs. So debuffs like Weaken and Fatigue still can be applied by Spider-Man, Captain America and other Science champions. Otherwise this might break the class system.