**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Some thoughts on 5.2

DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,542 ★★★★★
edited July 2017 in General Discussion
Given that 5.2 features arguably unimaginative game design and inarguably shoddy rewards, I thought a thread that offered a little constructive critique might be useful for the game team. Feel free to add/argue/dissent--don't really care what is said, just keep it civil and substantive.

Nodes:
(1) Passive health loss is lazy. Its also perceived by players as money-grubbing. While that perception may not bother the game team, it is what it is.
(2) Nodes that force players to adapt their play style (without losing health regardless of skill) are not lazy. Immunity nodes are an example (parriers have to learn to intercept) as are things like Flare (turtle mode fighters have to become aggressive).
(3) Nodes that force you to trade off are interesting. For example, introducing higher risk and higher reward in fights makes sense (Flare, Life Transfer, Burden of Might/Power Focus). Using nodes that unduly penalize without a solid link to skill are not interesting (Bane, Masochism+Buffet).

Suggestions: Timer-based nodes can be fun. Consider timers that determine who can deal damage, whether Specials can be used, power gain timers--all of which can be reset by skilled play. Also consider combo nodes--power drain if opp ends on odd combo, power gain if on even combo; attack diminished or eliminated every even 10-hit combo; or a specific number of hits to KO the AI, with a timer that adds hits when it expires. And nodes that eliminate aspects of the game--for example, nodes that allow no specials, nodes that render Specials unevadable or allow only damage on medium hits could also offer interesting fights.

Some good ideas and some bad, I'm sure. But things that in my opinion would render gameplay potentially more enjoyable and reward players who can adapt their play styles.

Rewards:
(1) A second aspect of 5.2 that needs revisiting: rewards. If players are going to be expected to combat punitive nodes, the rewards should be worth it. Current 5.2 prizes flatly aren't.
(2) Tailor the rewards to the target audience. I would wager that most players who can complete it without real spend don't need the prizes offered by 5.2 exploration.

Suggestions: Consider more 5* items, especially since that seems to be the tilt for higher end players. Shards, chances to awaken a 5*, 5* sig stones. Since the chapter is a resource drain, how about decent pots? How about decent unit rewards? How about decent ISO/gold rewards? The title is nice, but there are lots of titles these days. If it gets something extra that is worth it, then good. If not...

Feel free to disagree, dispute or whatever. But I honestly feel like 5.2 suggests the new ideas aren't flowing freely. Throw your own ideas in. Whether anyone on the team listens is another matter altogether.

Have at it.

Dr. Zola

Comments

• weavileweavile Posts: 288
    good idea, also somehow make the fight faster. Each quest is freaking long and the fact that fights are ROL and RTL long is boring. Make it so that if you have the right champ, right combination you can take down like champ that weak to stun, bleed, poison, shock, or x-men have a boost, avenger have a nerf, etc.. Also make node apply for both side, don't make player dies because of passive damage, make it so they die because they don't have the correct type of champs.
  • Mcord11758Mcord11758 Posts: 1,249 ★★★★
    I agree with most of every thing you said. I have completed 5.2 and have it 78% complete. My stash is out and I can't even justify building a stash to continue for the terrible rewards the chapter offers.

The combination of terrible rewards and difficulty really was the final straw for me. I just don't see any reason to look forward to 5.3

The nodes in 5.2 and the collector fight in large part scream lazy and money grab to me. It does not feel like a terrible amount of thought or effort went behind the design, I did like 5.1 design though.

Oh well my 2 cents from a semi retired but still logging in occasionally state

• smdam38smdam38 Posts: 843 ★★★
    edited July 2017
    I've said this in other 5.2 threads, the risk/reward is ridiculous.
    There's still 4 more act 5 chapters, Collector should have been last boss.

They have to ramp up difficulty, I'm not sure how they do that after Collector without more retardedly difficult nodes.
  • CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★
    You know here is a sticky for discussion of 5.2? What makes your critique so special it should clutter the forums with fresh complaints?
  • KoperBoyKoperBoy Posts: 210 ★★
    Kabam's rewards system is always the same. Those who can do content without spending, find rewards not good enough. Those who need the rewards the most have to spend lot of potions/units to get it done.

I understand this from revenue point of view. I also like how you can finish most of the end game content without spending if you are willing to work enough on your skills. If you are skilled enough, your stash of potions will be big enough to finish quests that are non-skill related, like Collector, AW Magik/Dorm or pre-12.0 Juggy.
  • Agreed whole heartedly Dr. Zola! I actually just attempted 5.2.4, got to Magik and she killed my entire team whilst I barely took any hits. Limbo was doing just short of 1,100 damage per sec:/ I backed out and have added yet another area of gameplay that will never get finished to the pile.

Passive, unavoidable damage that takes away virtually all skill screams moneygrab and as you said a pathetically lazy attempt by the design/game team at "challenging" content.

And take into consideration that those nodes coupled w diminishing returns and the neccessity to using 5*'s to complete....and to then offer a bunch of rewards geared towards a 4*?! Lmfao.....huuuuge slap in the face....
  • DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,542 ★★★★★
    edited July 2017
    @CoatHang3r What makes it special are the constructive, quality comments you so kindly offer. Thanks for dropping by!

Dr. Zola
  • Deadbyrd9Deadbyrd9 Posts: 3,469 ★★★★
    I loved having to change my play style. I like finding new strategies for content where old ones don't work. I don't see nothing wrong with players having to gain more skill