**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Playing from china vpn

I am travelling to China for a holiday and was wondering if I need a VPN to play from China.

Comments

• Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,247 ★★★★★
    Do you need one? No. Can you use one? Entirely up to you.
  • Options
    DarkZenDarkZen Posts: 285
    I was in China last year and game worked fine then and did Not need or used a VPN
  • Options
    RagingpeanutRagingpeanut Posts: 7
    Awesome thanks guys
  • Options
    ezgoingezgoing Posts: 269 ★★
    Yup. Also if you are roaming your cell data connection, everything can work as per normal - FB, google maps, etc. it’s only when you use WiFi like in your hotel, then you will be subject to the “China firewall”, and even then I could play MCOC too.

The only noticeable difference for me was Pokémon Go doesn’t fully work in China, lol.
  • Options
    DarkZenDarkZen Posts: 285
    Sorry. FB, YT does Not work in China unless you use a VPN. Most google features are also blocked
  • Options
    zuffyzuffy Posts: 2,147 ★★★★★
    I was in China last year, you don’t need vpn to play mcoc. Facebook was working for me too so I don’t understand how China blocks it for WiFi but not cellular in my experience.
  • Options
    UnFazedSkullUnFazedSkull Posts: 245 ★★
    edited October 2019

All you had to say was "no"
  • Options
    BogiaBogia Posts: 125
    I just got back from Japan and had no issues from the wifi in the hotel or airports.
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,247 ★★★★★

All you had to say was "no"
    Actually, I answered two questions. First, does the OP need one? Secondly, are they allowed?
    I didn't HAVE to. I don't have to do anything but die and pay Taxes.
  • Options
    arsjumarsjum Posts: 412 ★★★
    Bogia said:

I just got back from Japan and had no issues from the wifi in the hotel or airports.

You realize China and Japan are two different countries, right? Right? 😂
  • Options
    ezgoingezgoing Posts: 269 ★★
    As a foreigner going into China, when you roam from your home country’s cellular network, or use one of those MIFI devices from home, you are not subject to the China firewall, and won’t need any VPN. Guess China doesn’t have jurisdiction over foreign SIM cards. Obviously this is not the case if you pick up a local Chinese SIM card.

@DarkZen as I was saying in my post which I think you responded to.
    zuffy said:

I was in China last year, you don’t need vpn to play mcoc. Facebook was working for me too so I don’t understand how China blocks it for WiFi but not cellular in my experience.

• Options
    FlyingPigsFlyingPigs Posts: 28
    The game itself will not experience any restrictions in China.

However, if you use Line for your ally chats, then be aware that Line is blocked in China so you would have to use a VPN for that.

As someone did mention, if you are using Wifi, then it is blocked but if you use cellular data roaming, it is not blocked.