**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

An awkward mistake... [Morningstar]

Colonaut123Colonaut123 Posts: 3,091 ★★★★★
I'm a bit of a medieval weapons expert and something is bothering me. It is Morningstar.

According her bio, Haasen got her name from her weapon. Only, her weapon isn't a morning star, but a ball-and-chain flail. Morning star only applies to weapons with a rigid shaft e.g. maces.

In this month EQ, Haasen repeatedly referred her weapon erroneously as a mace instead of a ball-and-chain flail.

I know it is unlikely Kabam will change her name, but in future dialogues maybe?

Comments

• KerneasKerneas Posts: 3,738 ★★★★★
    Gotta admit her flail looks good and I can't imagine it as mace or morningstar. On the other hand, if she was called Mace or Flail, it'd sound dumb. Maybe calling her Morning Star or Mourningstar would help :trollface:
  • ArylAryl Posts: 1,302 ★★★★
    I've pointed out Aegon's incorrect and illogical use of the letter ash several times to no avail.
  • Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Posts: 7,173 ★★★★★
    Ned, is that you?
  • WardenZeroWardenZero Posts: 722 ★★★
    Aryl said:

I've pointed out Aegon's incorrect and illogical use of the letter ash several times to no avail.

How is that actually supposed to be used? I’ve never known.

Warden out ~
    edited October 2019

Aryl said:

Warden out ~
    The ash doesn't make a long A sound. It makes a short A sound like in "cat" or "ash". There is a long version of the letter, but it's marked with a line over it and wasn't really used. Even in phonetics, ash represents a short A sound.

Likewise, it's ridiculous to think an alien from another planet with an entirely different language would use an archaic English letter in his name. Even if his name is translated into English, it wouldn't use the ash as it died out centuries ago. If his name was translated into English, it would simply be spelled A-E-G-O-N.

@WardenZero
  • DshuDshu Posts: 1,503 ★★★★
    A morning star is any of several medieval club-like weapons consisting of a shaft with an attached ball adorned with one or more spikes. Each used, to varying degrees, a combination of blunt-force and puncture attack to kill or wound the enemy. This is the definition of a morningstar. Technically a ball and chain flail fits that description as long as the ball is spiked. Also a fan of medieval history here. Some weapons can be listed in multiple categories.
    Aryl said:

Aryl said:

Warden out ~
    The ash doesn't make a long A sound. It makes a short A sound like in "cat" or "ash". There is a long version of the letter, but it's marked with a line over it and wasn't really used. Even in phonetics, ash represents a short A sound.

Likewise, it's ridiculous to think an alien from another planet with an entirely different language would use an archaic English letter in his name. Even if his name is translated into English, it wouldn't use the ash as it died out centuries ago. If his name was translated into English, it would simply be spelled A-E-G-O-N.

@WardenZero
    Oh yeah that makes sense. They probably just thought it looked cool 🤣

Warden out ~
  • Colonaut123Colonaut123 Posts: 3,091 ★★★★★

Hm yeah, while we’re on the topic of wrong names, I wanna point out that Guillotine does not actually hold a guillotine. Can we change her name to Sword or even... Blade?

Greatsword or Zweihänder technically.
    Dshu said:

A morning star is any of several medieval club-like weapons consisting of a shaft with an attached ball adorned with one or more spikes. Each used, to varying degrees, a combination of blunt-force and puncture attack to kill or wound the enemy. This is the definition of a morningstar. Technically a ball and chain flail fits that description as long as the ball is spiked. Also a fan of medieval history here. Some weapons can be listed in multiple categories.

Then it would be morning star flail. The dialogue would still be wrong.

Hm yeah, while we’re on the topic of wrong names, I wanna point out that Guillotine does not actually hold a guillotine. Can we change her name to Sword or even... Blade?

As far as I understand, the title 'Guillotine' is a bloodline thing. And I can see that title having been given given the shared lethal nature of both the weapon and the wielders of the demonic sword.
    (and no the joke was not lost on me. good one.)

And to the OP, I'd like to offer the theory that maybe some people mistook it for a morningstar (I mean come on it's a murder weapon coming straight for you; I wouldn't blame someone for forgetting some details about the weapon...), and the name stuck.
    Plus, as other people have mentioned, ball-and-chain flail doesn't sound as cool. Morningstar is the coolest sounding weapon name that is somewhat similar to the weapon she yields, so yeah there you go.
    Interesting thing to learn though. It's awesome seeing the wide variety of people we have in this community... and it also reminds me how much more there is to know...
    The medieval purists would dispute such thing as a ball-and-chain flail existed. The ones in musea are 19th century replica's.

It became a weapon more known from fiction. If it existed, it was probably a very uncommon weapon as it would frequently swing back in the face of the wielder.

It maybe looks deadly but the small spikes would have a difficult time penetrating plate armor. Medieval knights weren't stupid, a pollaxe, bill, voulge, halberd, bardiche, glaive or any other pole arm could get the same job done, with less training or risk getting wounded (both by the weapon itself and due the distance a pole arm creates with the opponent).
    A morning star is a mace not a flail. End of story (I'm also a weapon collector).

Aryl said:

Aryl said:

Warden out ~

@WardenZero

Warden out ~
    My brother thought a velvet ant looked cool. He thought it was the most awesome insect he had ever seen but didn't know anything about it. He decided to pick it up.

And well... let's just say he got an education right there.
    Aryl said:

Aryl said:

Aryl said:

Warden out ~

@WardenZero

Warden out ~
    My brother thought a velvet ant looked cool. He thought it was the most awesome insect he had ever seen but didn't know anything about it. He decided to pick it up.

And well... let's just say he got an education right there.
    O_o

Ouch
  • Chris1212123Chris1212123 Posts: 320
    Everyone talking about changing her name
    Why can’t we just give her an actual morning star ?
  • SnizzbarSnizzbar Posts: 2,144 ★★★★★
    I never trust anyone who describes themselves as a 'bit' of an expert anyway.
    You're either an expert or you're not.
  • LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★

Interesting. I've always been bothered by Morningstar in these EQs but I never would have cause the mace issue. I'm more of a language guy and her dialogue always bothers me because they butcher the archaic English. Either give her modern speech or get it right. It would be "my torture," not "mine torture." "Thy/Thine" and "my/mine" were similar to the present "a/an." And why is it "You are right" if it's "twist thy blade?" It's a hack job.

Everyone talking about changing her name
    Why can’t we just give her an actual morning star ?

It depends. If you trust Wikipedia, morning star only refers to maces. However, you could argue that a flail with a spiked ball-and-chain can be called a morning star flail. However, the flail of Morningstar is clearly not that.
  • EthanGamerEthanGamer Posts: 358
    MCOC is not the first game to do this. In injustice 2 John Stewart green lanterns special 3 is called Morningstar and he swings his Morningstar at the opponent. It is the same time of weapon as Morningstar in mcoc. Either it is a different type of Morningstar or both games are wrong.
  • MagrailothosMagrailothos Posts: 5,347 ★★★★★

I'm a bit of a medieval weapons expert and something is bothering me. It is Morningstar.

According her bio, Haasen got her name from her weapon. Only, her weapon isn't a morning star, but a ball-and-chain flail. Morning star only applies to weapons with a rigid shaft e.g. maces.

I know it is unlikely Kabam will change her name, but in future dialogues maybe?

I think we can (or should) just say that in this universe, ball-and-chain flails are called 'Morningstars', and let it go.

Tbh, whilst supposedly named for her weapon, I suspect she was actually called "Morningstar" by the Development Team because in some versions of real-world theology (depending on which sources you cite), that's one of the names/titles of the Archangel Lucifer; more recently known (after dramatically falling from grace) as Satan.