**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

My current stance on the game as an average player

In short... Not fun but quite pretty with an amazing community and buckets of untapped potential

The not so short review:

Bit about me:
I have been playing this game on and off since early 2015, I have spent money on it but not enough to make a vast difference.

My current position In the game:
I have been thinking for a while about how I feel about the game as I am currently caught in a limbo. Having completed act 5 and almost fully exploring 5.4 I have found myself against a wall. The Ultron to put it short is an embarrassingly bad fight in terms of design with only a handful of viable counters the game has forced me to wait in frustration for RNG to give me one of the few counters and even when I do get one it will be months before I can rank them up due to the resource crisis that the game has. with no proper way to farm necessary gold, iso and catalysts aside from spending hours upon hours in the mind numbing **** show that is arena. There is no other content In the game for me to do aside from the monthly eq so I often find myself with absolutely no reason to log on to the game.

PROS:
At the current moment I would say there are only two redeeming qualities to the game. The first is the often stunning work of the animation team and the second is the solid community that keeps the game afloat and is the only reason I'm still playing to this day.

CONS:
1) the "challenging" fight aren't challenging they are bs messes built to eat as many revives as possible. I feel like after act 4 there is only one single enjoyable path In the entire game (5.4.1 life transfer). Other than this all fights are either not fun or just plain rigged with bad nodes and little to no proper counters.
2) Resources: there is a resource crisis, mainly gold but all necessary resources in a game should be farmable to a point and they are not.
3) Arena: (which I accept could be used as an argument to say some resources are farmable) its bad, the fights are repetitive and dull and the ai is for lac of a better word ... is ****.
4) AI: Quite frankly I and I'm sure many others would prefer it if Kabam would just highlight the passive ai algorithm and press delete all together. Passive ai SHOULD NOT be showing up in places like act 4, act 5, aq map 4 and aq map 5 and it's everywhere in them. The game spends it's time training you to use parry and dex then just throws an ai at you that constantly walks towards you and if you try to attack it congrats you just ate a full combo.
5) Class imbalance: there is an insane class imbalance present in the game, I have 36 total 5 stars and 17 of them are cosmic, 3 of them are mystic. And that's not even mentioning the power imbalance. Mutant and cosmic boast such powerful champs yet mystic only has about 4 viable options.
6) general free to play struggle: STOP ADDING CHAMPS THAT NEED SIG 200. I'm willing to put money on it that 99% of F2P players will never get their hands on a sig 200 5 star so why then do you keep adding champs that rely on it ie, naymour, aegon, Omega ... I could go on but the point is proven.

There are a few other small problems but I fell I have highlighted the main ones.

Possible solutions (IMO)
1) spend a month without adding any champs just focus on balancing and making more champs viable option for the mid-end game content.
2) AT LEAST double the gold quest rewards and make it free to access then double the rewards again for those players with the ss.
3) rework the glory store to better match the current economy in the game
4) remove passive ai from all later content in the game if not all together
5) rework arena to make it more captivating and worth while for everyone who participates
6) stop adding such obnoxiously rigged content with bs nodes, champion gates, and single champs counters

Obviously this makes me seem a bit up my own arse but I felt like it needed to be said.
I love the community and the game has so much potential that I feel is just going to waste.

Comments

• NeotwismNeotwism Posts: 1,803 β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…
    Joining an alliance helps tremendously when it comes to resources. Even most retired alliances still collect a decent amount of rewards.
  • Harvey_HJHarvey_HJ Posts: 19 β˜…

The 5.4.6 Ultron boss fight is a pure skill fight, which can be done with many champs.

There’s no resource problem, it’s about planning, prioritizing and taking your time.

There are plenty of paths in quests after act 4 which can be fun, challenging, etc.

You seriously believe a fight where the boss can randomly have a power gain that guarantees a revive is a good fight.yes there are ways to play around it but Everytime I have Faught him he has had the power gain timer up to 3 times in a row at some points meaning I have no choice but to back myself into a corner... It's a horrible fight unless you have a chap like nebula or quake. (IMO)

again I am just an average player so if there's something I'm missing with this fight please enlighten me 😊

The 5.4.6 Ultron boss fight is a pure skill fight, which can be done with many champs.

There’s no resource problem, it’s about planning, prioritizing and taking your time.

There are plenty of paths in quests after act 4 which can be fun, challenging, etc.

Sorry to quote twice but I forget about the resource part and the fun paths part

If there isn't a resource problem tell me how I can get the 3/4 million gold and 20+ t4b that I need to do some of the necessary rank ups on my account

As for the fun paths... I'm just speaking from my own experience, but I haven't been in a single quest that doesn't have some form of bs nonsense at some point post act4 bar the 5.4.1 life transfer that I mentioned. Again I haven't done 6.1/2/3 or any variant yet so if they're In there I don't know
  • TwmRTwmR Posts: 662 β˜…β˜…β˜…
    Harvey_HJ said:

You seriously believe a fight where the boss can randomly have a power gain that guarantees a revive is a good fight.yes there are ways to play around it but Everytime I have Faught him he has had the power gain timer up to 3 times in a row at some points meaning I have no choice but to back myself into a corner... It's a horrible fight unless you have a chap like nebula or quake. (IMO)

again I am just an average player so if there's something I'm missing with this fight please enlighten me 😊
    He never randomly gets a power gain, you have to inflict a debuff for him to get his buffs.
    The fight can be done with lots of different champs and can be done with 4*s.
  • Mcord11758Mcord11758 Posts: 1,249 β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…
    edited January 2020
    The ultron boss is fun and skill based, if played correctly he will never proc a power gain. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but act 5 was pretty fair and balanced when compared to act 6. The game is spiraling down an ugly path with story content. The monthly event quest are the only accessible content released to average players and those have become stale and offer the same rewards for the last 2 years. Game is at a strange place for mid tier players, which I consider myself, where there is very little to look forward to
    I love how everyone is solely commenting on the Ultron fight which is just a little thing I mention to give context to where I am in the game and no one is actually talking about what I'm saying lol πŸ˜‚

The ultron boss is fun and skill based, if played correctly he will never proc a power gain. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but act 5 was pretty fair and balanced when compared to act 6. The game is spiraling down an ugly path with story content. The monthly event quest are the only accessible content released to average players and those have become stale and offer the same rewards for the last 2 years. Game is at a strange place for mid tier players, which I consider myself, where there is very little to look forward to

This is the thing I see a lot. "Act five is good in comparison to _____", this doesn't make act 5 good it's still badly designed with it's fair share of bs mechanics and unfair fights.

Just because down the line it gets even worse doesn't mean it's not bad now lol
    TwmR said:

Harvey_HJ said:

He never randomly gets a power gain, you have to inflict a debuff for him to get his buffs.
    Can I get some champ recommendations then... Been trying Medusa and she works on occasion but with her placing armour breaks unless I can get the Ultron to proc his fury which seems to be non existent in my experience lol. I don't know whether it's just my bad luck but like I said he often has the power gain timer thing 2/3 times in a row then and armour up or Regen then back to power so there's nothing I can do. Unless there's some way to counter this that I'm missing like an idiot
  • Mcord11758Mcord11758 Posts: 1,249 β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…
    Harvey_HJ said:

This is the thing I see a lot. "Act five is good in comparison to _____", this doesn't make act 5 good it's still badly designed with it's fair share of bs mechanics and unfair fights.

Yeah I can agree with that. But the flip side is that players today have access to champions that make act 5 much easier than it initially was. I guess all I was trying to say is it doesn’t get better if act 5 felt unfair

Harvey_HJ said:

Yeah I can agree with that. But the flip side is that players today have access to champions that make act 5 much easier than it initially was. I guess all I was trying to say is it doesn’t get better if act 5 felt unfair
    Great lol πŸ˜‚
    Harvey_HJ said:

TwmR said:

Harvey_HJ said:

Can I get some champ recommendations then... Been trying Medusa and she works on occasion but with her placing armour breaks unless I can get the Ultron to proc his fury which seems to be non existent in my experience lol. I don't know whether it's just my bad luck but like I said he often has the power gain timer thing 2/3 times in a row then and armour up or Regen then back to power so there's nothing I can do. Unless there's some way to counter this that I'm missing like an idiot
    Medusa is easily one of the best counters, just be careful at beginning of fight not to trigger the power gain, once you armour shatter the fight is easy.
    Sabretooth with killmonger synergy means you don't have to worry about any of his buffs, might be a bit long with class disadvantage and no bleeds but will work.
    Any champ that has decent damage with no debuffs like Angela, Ghost just don't parry when he has power gain
    Stagger champs like hood, sym supreme etc
    Attack into his block to stop from getting stuck in corner and to let timer rundown on power gain
  • Oesername123Oesername123 Posts: 253 β˜…β˜…β˜…
    The resource crisis is real. The rarity of a T1A is comical. I have about 78 5* and I would say around 70% of them are still in rank 1 because of how hard to come by a T1A is. Assuming my alliance achieves good results in alliance events, and also doing the T1A arena, I could probably get around 4-5 T1A's a week (assuming I don't spend any glory on T1A's, which I refuse to do because they're allocated to T2A and T5B fragments).

That would take me close to a year to get all of my current 5* to rank 2, that also doesn't include all of the new champs I will get around that time, and also having to consider the other T1A's I would need to get them to rank 3 (5 T1A), rank 4 (6 T1A) and rank 5 (6 T1A).

I even went as far to joining alliances doing lower AQ maps to get the Map 2, 3 and 4 crystals and the drop rate for T1A's are pretty low. I'm hoping there are more changes in the future to get more of T1A's in a shorter time period.
  • Owl_0wlOwl_0wl Posts: 210 β˜…
    edited January 2020
    I am F2p and i have two sig200 champs, had my a accounts just over 4 years and i am definitely not a hardcore grinder but i still receive a large amount of crystals from the content i do.
    Anyone can beat ultron as long as you don't apply debuffs
    With 160+ champions, arena does not get boring, plus it allows you to try out synergies, champions' abilities and farm for units and gold very easily.
    Challenging fights are definitely not bs, they are just tough and require practice and knowledge. Plus what is the point in making fights easy, when you bring down a final boss with no revives and so has everybody else in the community you have no sense of achievement which is what i personally thrive off of this game. E.G. i soloed DPX with my r4 darkhawk without using any heavies, i was more buzzing over that than actually getting the r5 gem for variant exploration.
    Same AI everywhere makes it too easy as well, differing AIs make you adapt and stand out over the players that simply cannot do so
    Yes some classes are better than others but i wouldn't say huge, Kabam always try to balance them out, this year this realized that cosmic was more OP than mystic, they addressed this by bringing in Doom and Claire Voyant as well as announcing a buff to Maw. Countered with bringing in meh cosmic champs like Surfer and Cull. Every class has some Godly champions, some champions that make very good counters and some poor champions. I see no imbalance at the moment.

I completely disagree with the original post therefore, i love the game as much now as i did when i first started due to challenging but captivating content being released every month, the excitement over pulling Godly champions and the interaction you can have with other players in the game.

First ever long post, my hand ache, ill go stick autofight on

The resource crisis is real. The rarity of a T1A is comical. I have about 78 5* and I would say around 70% of them are still in rank 1 because of how hard to come by a T1A is. Assuming my alliance achieves good results in alliance events, and also doing the T1A arena, I could probably get around 4-5 T1A's a week (assuming I don't spend any glory on T1A's, which I refuse to do because they're allocated to T2A and T5B fragments).

That would take me close to a year to get all of my current 5* to rank 2, that also doesn't include all of the new champs I will get around that time, and also having to consider the other T1A's I would need to get them to rank 3 (5 T1A), rank 4 (6 T1A) and rank 5 (6 T1A).

I even went as far to joining alliances doing lower AQ maps to get the Map 2, 3 and 4 crystals and the drop rate for T1A's are pretty low. I'm hoping there are more changes in the future to get more of T1A's in a shorter time period.

So you refuse to spend glory on t1a but you joined alliances doing lower aq maps therefore earning less glory (as well as losing other rewards) to try to get more t1a?
    Doesn't seem very logical
  • Oesername123Oesername123 Posts: 253 β˜…β˜…β˜…
    TwmR said:

So you refuse to spend glory on t1a but you joined alliances doing lower aq maps therefore earning less glory (as well as losing other rewards) to try to get more t1a?
    Doesn't seem very logical
    I joined lower aq maps only to check if the lower aq crystals had a better drop rate on T1A's. It was only temporary, for obvious reasons, to check if there are any other sources for T1A's apart from the arena, alliance events and monthly events.
    Owl_0wl said:

I am F2p and i have two sig200 champs, had my a accounts just over 4 years and i am definitely not a hardcore grinder but i still receive a large amount of crystals from the content i do.
    Anyone can beat ultron as long as you don't apply debuffs
    With 160+ champions, arena does not get boring, plus it allows you to try out synergies, champions' abilities and farm for units and gold very easily.
    Challenging fights are definitely not bs, they are just tough and require practice and knowledge. Plus what is the point in making fights easy, when you bring down a final boss with no revives and so has everybody else in the community you have no sense of achievement which is what i personally thrive off of this game. E.G. i soloed DPX with my r4 darkhawk without using any heavies, i was more buzzing over that than actually getting the r5 gem for variant exploration.
    Same AI everywhere makes it too easy as well, differing AIs make you adapt and stand out over the players that simply cannot do so
    Yes some classes are better than others but i wouldn't say huge, Kabam always try to balance them out, this year this realized that cosmic was more OP than mystic, they addressed this by bringing in Doom and Claire Voyant as well as announcing a buff to Maw. Countered with bringing in meh cosmic champs like Surfer and Cull. Every class has some Godly champions, some champions that make very good counters and some poor champions. I see no imbalance at the moment.

I completely disagree with the original post therefore, i love the game as much now as i did when i first started due to challenging but captivating content being released every month, the excitement over pulling Godly champions and the interaction you can have with other players in the game.

First of all... Thanks for actually responding to the message as a whole

Secondly, we clearly have different stances on arena and we will never come to a common ground on it I feel so I'm not even gonna bother arguing that.

Thirdly, yes they have been making strides to buff up mystic but atm those champs are still either locked behind a paywall or 15k featured (as an average player spending and extra 5k shards just isn't worth it). The basic pool of champs is so large now that the chances of you pulling a champ that you can actually use and rankup are just minimal. Plain and simple

Forthly, I didn't say put the same ai everywhere I said remove the passive ai which is an AI that is robotic in it's actions and isn't counterable. They should 100% have variance in the ai that I agree with entirely

Fithly (starting to regret organizing the message like this), things like variant 4 which you need a full team of r4+ 5 stars that is optimised for the specific path isnt anywhere in my near future so I don't know much if anything about what it's like to fight in them.

Sixthly, I think I'm done ... Thanks for your perspective πŸ‘

I don't want this to sound rude, however, I found myself having a hard time taking this post too serious based on the title of you referring to yourself as an "average" player.

Your post then almost entirely focuses on your issues with Act 5 and your dissatisfaction with it, meaning that after 5 years of playing you are still on Act 5 (one act a year?).

There is nothing wrong with taking your time, but I feel like you are mispresenting your post by claiming to be "average player" when this is far from being average progress.

Lol I've not been playing the game actively for 5 years. It's been on and off ... I'd say about 1.5 - 2 years total I've actually been playing. And the first half of that was before there was an act 4 so there wasn't much I could do lol
    Haji_Saab said:

"there is only one single enjoyable path in game, life transfer" .... LMAO

mate, you just need to get better at the game. Stop thinking and start practising.

What are you on about lad, it's got nothing to do with skill, I can get through the fights they just aren't fun
  • YcatsYcats Posts: 146 β˜…β˜…
    I've been playing for a year and half and am currently at 6.2.6 in my progression and I think that some of your takes are really bad and are just coming from the mindset of someone who just wants to breeze through everything.

1) Your first con is just wrong. You can think that life transfer is the only fun node since that's your opinion but to say the other nodes are rigged and have no counters is just wrong. Nodes like breakthrough, power shield, brute force, flare, buffet, and masochism have plenty of counters and theses nodes make the game-play more interesting .
    2) I agree with this one as gold can be very difficult to obtain especially with the rank up and level up cost of 5 stars
    3) Arena is probably my least favorite mode because of what you describe but I feel Kabam will never change this.
    4) I hate passive a.i but there is rarely any passive a.i in act 5 if any. I agree with alliance quest though the a.i can be frustratingly passive and I would like it better if it wasn't like that,
    5) The class Imbalance isn't as big of a deal as you're making each class is generally focused around doing specific things and provide different needs mystic champs are highly valuable for their nullify ability, to say that there are only 4 usable mystics is just being disingenuous.
    6) There are very few champs that Kabam has added that require max sig. In 2019 the only champ that needs max sig is Namor and even then he still amazing unawakened unlike most champs who rely on their signature ability. Even the one's you named don't need to be max sig to be good they just heavily benefit from having more signature levels.

For your recommendations Mcoc is a f2p game because of whales so not releasing any new champs isn't making Kabam any money which is why they won't stop, it also makes the game more exciting. Also you need to stop ranting about rigged nodes especially since your not even in act 6 yet. Act 5 can be 100% with just 5/50's if you have enough skill.
    Ycats said:

I've been playing for a year and half and am currently at 6.2.6 in my progression and I think that some of your takes are really bad and are just coming from the mindset of someone who just wants to breeze through everything.

1) Your first con is just wrong. You can think that life transfer is the only fun node since that's your opinion but to say the other nodes are rigged and have no counters is just wrong. Nodes like breakthrough, power shield, brute force, flare, buffet, and masochism have plenty of counters and theses nodes make the game-play more interesting .
    2) I agree with this one as gold can be very difficult to obtain especially with the rank up and level up cost of 5 stars
    3) Arena is probably my least favorite mode because of what you describe but I feel Kabam will never change this.
    4) I hate passive a.i but there is rarely any passive a.i in act 5 if any. I agree with alliance quest though the a.i can be frustratingly passive and I would like it better if it wasn't like that,
    5) The class Imbalance isn't as big of a deal as you're making each class is generally focused around doing specific things and provide different needs mystic champs are highly valuable for their nullify ability, to say that there are only 4 usable mystics is just being disingenuous.
    6) There are very few champs that Kabam has added that require max sig. In 2019 the only champ that needs max sig is Namor and even then he still amazing unawakened unlike most champs who rely on their signature ability. Even the one's you named don't need to be max sig to be good they just heavily benefit from having more signature levels.

For your recommendations Mcoc is a f2p game because of whales so not releasing any new champs isn't making Kabam any money which is why they won't stop, it also makes the game more exciting. Also you need to stop ranting about rigged nodes especially since your not even in act 6 yet. Act 5 can be 100% with just 5/50's if you have enough skill.

Thanks for your take, as for your view on ranting about rigged node I personally disagree as Kabam will just keep getting worse and worse as we have seen with act 6 unless we talk about it and address it.

As for what you said about new champs... Understandable you make a good point.

With the class imbalance thing it might just be my luck but for me there is definitely a big imbalance towards cosmic.

My solutions where just things that I thought of off the top of my head so most of em are a bit outlandish lol
  • NerdNerdNerd1NerdNerdNerd1 Posts: 379 β˜…β˜…β˜…
    The only non skill based thing in act 5 is stuff like mephisto 5.4.5 which basically requires a counter, everything else is fun and interactive.
  • Owl_0wlOwl_0wl Posts: 210 β˜…
    Harvey_HJ said:

Owl_0wl said:

First of all... Thanks for actually responding to the message as a whole

Secondly, we clearly have different stances on arena and we will never come to a common ground on it I feel so I'm not even gonna bother arguing that.

Thirdly, yes they have been making strides to buff up mystic but atm those champs are still either locked behind a paywall or 15k featured (as an average player spending and extra 5k shards just isn't worth it). The basic pool of champs is so large now that the chances of you pulling a champ that you can actually use and rankup are just minimal. Plain and simple

Forthly, I didn't say put the same ai everywhere I said remove the passive ai which is an AI that is robotic in it's actions and isn't counterable. They should 100% have variance in the ai that I agree with entirely

Fithly (starting to regret organizing the message like this), things like variant 4 which you need a full team of r4+ 5 stars that is optimised for the specific path isnt anywhere in my near future so I don't know much if anything about what it's like to fight in them.

Sixthly, I think I'm done ... Thanks for your perspective πŸ‘
    Without passive AI then all high level content would be the same, thats what i mean

Any 5* champ you can rank up and have with if you want, me personally, i seem to be very lucky with 5* and 6* crystals so every champ i have a use for. But its not like we get these crystals rarely, they are very common so if you fail to get a bad champ from one, no worries, youll have another try a few days after.

Variants are meant to be difficult content, completion however is not based on what champs you have and you do not have to build a full team around path nodes, Exploration however, some paths do require specific teams and therefore are less open to players like me and you. But Kabam would not hand out a precious r5 gem to players that are not highly rated, you need to be a top tier player in order to get these rewards.

Plus v4 chapter 2 and 3 are purely skill based (minus that hulk path in 4.3.2) as everyone who is conqueror or above has champs to complete the chapters
  • YcatsYcats Posts: 146 β˜…β˜…
    Harvey_HJ said:

Ycats said:

Thanks for your take, as for your view on ranting about rigged node I personally disagree as Kabam will just keep getting worse and worse as we have seen with act 6 unless we talk about it and address it.

As for what you said about new champs... Understandable you make a good point.

With the class imbalance thing it might just be my luck but for me there is definitely a big imbalance towards cosmic.

My solutions where just things that I thought of off the top of my head so most of em are a bit outlandish lol
    My luck for mystic champs isn't great either I have 40 five stars and only 3 are mystic none duped, while I have 10 cosmic champs several of which I have duped so the mystic class could definitely use a few more champs.

The nodes don't seem to have gotten that much worse as I haven't seen very many complaints in 6.3 (aside from Mysterio) compared to 6.2 but I haven't tried it yet so who knows.