**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

How do you guys grind Arena?

Tiger360Tiger360 Posts: 1,696 ★★★★
I've been wanting to grind arena for a while now, as I'm not progressing that fast and my account is pretty small even though I started playing the game 4 years ago and have been probably actively been playing for 3 years. However, I just can't bring myself to grind arena. It's so tedious and I can't save battlechips, I always want to spend them lol. What should I do to try convince myself to grind the arena?

Comments

• CaptainPollCaptainPoll Posts: 901 ★★★
    Quite simple actually, let's take an example of arena of 3* and 4*
    First of all , I would use my mediocre three stars to build a streak
    Once i m on a 3× streak I would take two of my top 4*s ( with arena boost) and low 3*
    Then we R given three opponents FRM which u choose whom to fight, top champ is visible and total team strength is visible, subtract the top champ pi with team pi and divide by two, u will average opponent champ rating, now I would lose the fight against the top opponent champ using my 3* and win the other two fights. So this is how u mantain a streak

Note: also remember u should prefer Kang and thnos team as opponents as they have no masteries

PS: if grinding a for champ, it's better to see expected cut off from a YouTube channel called "crafty grinding"
  • MINIWARLORDMINIWARLORD Posts: 62
    edited January 2020
    What is your 5/6* roster like? I only have 14 6*s, but between that and my top 5 5* teams I put up 7.5m in the 5* featured each arena with a streak of about 60-65 series. I also do 1.5m in the 4* basic, usually takes about 45-50 series using 5/50s only.

Depending on what you have, I’d say that hitting all milestones in the 4* basic is a great way to earn units/BC. Only need 1.5m points, and that’ll also rank you at 11-25%. Even if your 5/6* roster isn’t huge, pushing as far as you can in that arena will help as well. 7.5m will get you 1k 5* shards and 100 6* shards. 4.5m gets you 500 5* shards.
  • MatiEspinozaMatiEspinoza Posts: 93
    edited January 2020
    Ask MMX members
  • StevieManWonderStevieManWonder Posts: 5,017 ★★★★★
    Just do it while you watch tv, it makes it easier
  • kfd2010kfd2010 Posts: 423 ★★
    Honestly, nowadays you don't really have to. You can get the rewards from other areas of the game. I go weeks at a time without touching it and don't feel like I'm losing resources because of it (though after gifting, I should hit the 4* basic to get my unit store up)

I will if I'm bored and watching some Youtube vids (I usually will play as I watch Seatin or a different gaming channel) and want to farm up some units. Or if I'm low on T4b, I'll grind that arena.

In general, it's tedious and that's not going to change. So watch something else at the same time.
  • Tiger360Tiger360 Posts: 1,696 ★★★★

What is your 5/6* roster like? I only have 14 6*s, but between that and my top 5 5* teams I put up 7.5m in the 5* featured each arena with a streak of about 60-65 series. I also do 1.5m in the 4* basic, usually takes about 45-50 series using 5/50s only.

Depending on what you have, I’d say that hitting all milestones in the 4* basic is a great way to earn units/BC. Only need 1.5m points, and that’ll also rank you at 11-25%. Even if your 5/6* roster isn’t huge, pushing as far as you can in that arena will help as well. 7.5m will get you 1k 5* shards and 100 6* shards. 4.5m gets you 500 5* shards.

I have like 21 5 stars and 0 6 stars. I'll stick to 3 and 4 stars I guess, but the main reason I would grind for arena is units and shards tbh
  • kfd2010kfd2010 Posts: 423 ★★
    edited January 2020

What rank rewards are you getting with that 5* featured score?
  • Timone147Timone147 Posts: 1,276 ★★★★
    4* basic all milestones for Gold/units and 5* shards in rewards
    4* featured all milestones for gold/units and 5* shards in rewards
    5* featured 3 million plus depending on time(usually 4.5 mil) for gold units and 500 5* shard
    Net good chunk of units and gold and about 1000 5* shards with that formula
  • MINIWARLORDMINIWARLORD Posts: 62
    kfd2010 said:

What rank rewards are you getting with that 5* featured score?
    7.5m gets you 1000 5* shards and 100 6* shards
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,659 Guardian
    Tiger360 said:

I've been wanting to grind arena for a while now, as I'm not progressing that fast and my account is pretty small even though I started playing the game 4 years ago and have been probably actively been playing for 3 years. However, I just can't bring myself to grind arena. It's so tedious and I can't save battlechips, I always want to spend them lol. What should I do to try convince myself to grind the arena?

In my opinion the secret to grinding arena is to not grind arena. Which is to say, don't do more than you want to do. Pushing too hard in the arena will just make you hate the arena. Don't feel like doing it, don't do it.

Beyond that, there are three additional mental tricks I use (well, I use more, but these are the primary three). First, you can think about the most efficient ways to do arena rounds that give the best bang for buck. For example, take the 2* arena. No, seriously. The first two milestones are at 2500 and 5000 points. You can grab those in just a few rounds. Ten units, 600 BC, 1000 Gold, 500 PHC for just a couple minutes of trivial fights. In fact the first two milestones in all the arenas are like that for the most part: in the 2*-3* arena they are 7500 and 15000, which I think takes three rounds of 3* champs to snag; the 4* arena has 17k and 35k milestones that will net you 15 units, 1500 BC, 10k gold, and 2000 PHC.

It doesn't look like it, but this adds up fast. You could do a few rounds twice a day for three days and walk away with a hundred units or more a week. If you focus on just grabbing the easiest bottom milestones from every arena, then almost every other round you'll be hitting a milestone and getting rewards. Not much, but it helps not just in terms of long term rewards but also psychologically. 30 units is a buck. You can get that in maybe ten minutes of low level arena activity. If you can do more, you can work towards getting the higher milestones.

The second mental trick I use is that I don't fall into thinking about the arena as a mindless grind all the time. Often I'm "practicing" in the arena. If I'm building up my streak I generally don't "sandbag" the middle rounds: I fight them for real, and those are real fights I could lose. But especially when I see a champ I'm not good at fighting I deliberately go for that one. Not always, but often, so I can practice fighting them to get better at them. When the fight is an easy fight, I'm sometimes just practicing regular combat skills: intercepting for example, or evading tricky specials like Yellowjacket's SP1 or Magneto's SP2. When I see the fights as practice, I think I'm getting something out of the arena grind: I'm getting better at fighting if nothing else.

The third is that I try to look at arena grinding as something that has a long-term payoff. Take the 5* featured arena. Just getting to the rank rewards at all gets you 200 5* shards. Not much, but it is something, and the important thing to keep in mind is that the more 5* champs you have, the faster you can earn points in that arena. It isn't hard to work up to the 60% mark and get 500 5* shards per event, and maybe even 30% for the 1000 5* shards and 100 6* shards, although that takes more dedicated grinding.

But regardless of where you end up, more shards is more 5* crystals is ultimately more 5* champs is ultimately faster points. It takes a long time to see the payoff, but it is there. If you can take a long term perspective, it helps incentivize getting whatever you can without going overboard, knowing that whatever you get it is helping to make it easier to get more in the long run.

When I first started grinding the 5* featured arena (i.e. when it first came out) it took me about 300 rounds of 4* and 5* champs to get 11.7 million and reach top 10%. That's a serious grind. It now takes me about 120 - 140 rounds to get to 15 million with 5* and 6* champs, depending on how many rounds of sixes I get in there. That's still a lot of grind for most people, but the point is that over time I'm doing less work for more points and still getting good rewards. It took a couple of years of progress to get there, but it was a little at a time. Wherever you are in terms of effort, focusing on getting better over time can help make the grind worth it.
  • Tiger360Tiger360 Posts: 1,696 ★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

Tiger360 said:

In my opinion the secret to grinding arena is to not grind arena. Which is to say, don't do more than you want to do. Pushing too hard in the arena will just make you hate the arena. Don't feel like doing it, don't do it.

Beyond that, there are three additional mental tricks I use (well, I use more, but these are the primary three). First, you can think about the most efficient ways to do arena rounds that give the best bang for buck. For example, take the 2* arena. No, seriously. The first two milestones are at 2500 and 5000 points. You can grab those in just a few rounds. Ten units, 600 BC, 1000 Gold, 500 PHC for just a couple minutes of trivial fights. In fact the first two milestones in all the arenas are like that for the most part: in the 2*-3* arena they are 7500 and 15000, which I think takes three rounds of 3* champs to snag; the 4* arena has 17k and 35k milestones that will net you 15 units, 1500 BC, 10k gold, and 2000 PHC.

It doesn't look like it, but this adds up fast. You could do a few rounds twice a day for three days and walk away with a hundred units or more a week. If you focus on just grabbing the easiest bottom milestones from every arena, then almost every other round you'll be hitting a milestone and getting rewards. Not much, but it helps not just in terms of long term rewards but also psychologically. 30 units is a buck. You can get that in maybe ten minutes of low level arena activity. If you can do more, you can work towards getting the higher milestones.

The second mental trick I use is that I don't fall into thinking about the arena as a mindless grind all the time. Often I'm "practicing" in the arena. If I'm building up my streak I generally don't "sandbag" the middle rounds: I fight them for real, and those are real fights I could lose. But especially when I see a champ I'm not good at fighting I deliberately go for that one. Not always, but often, so I can practice fighting them to get better at them. When the fight is an easy fight, I'm sometimes just practicing regular combat skills: intercepting for example, or evading tricky specials like Yellowjacket's SP1 or Magneto's SP2. When I see the fights as practice, I think I'm getting something out of the arena grind: I'm getting better at fighting if nothing else.

The third is that I try to look at arena grinding as something that has a long-term payoff. Take the 5* featured arena. Just getting to the rank rewards at all gets you 200 5* shards. Not much, but it is something, and the important thing to keep in mind is that the more 5* champs you have, the faster you can earn points in that arena. It isn't hard to work up to the 60% mark and get 500 5* shards per event, and maybe even 30% for the 1000 5* shards and 100 6* shards, although that takes more dedicated grinding.

But regardless of where you end up, more shards is more 5* crystals is ultimately more 5* champs is ultimately faster points. It takes a long time to see the payoff, but it is there. If you can take a long term perspective, it helps incentivize getting whatever you can without going overboard, knowing that whatever you get it is helping to make it easier to get more in the long run.

When I first started grinding the 5* featured arena (i.e. when it first came out) it took me about 300 rounds of 4* and 5* champs to get 11.7 million and reach top 10%. That's a serious grind. It now takes me about 120 - 140 rounds to get to 15 million with 5* and 6* champs, depending on how many rounds of sixes I get in there. That's still a lot of grind for most people, but the point is that over time I'm doing less work for more points and still getting good rewards. It took a couple of years of progress to get there, but it was a little at a time. Wherever you are in terms of effort, focusing on getting better over time can help make the grind worth it.
    Thanks man :) how many hours a day should I grind, I’m mainly going for a lot of battleships units and shards so I can get some masteries done etc
    Tiger360 said:

Thanks man :) how many hours a day should I grind, I’m mainly going for a lot of battleships units and shards so I can get some masteries done etc

Start slow, do what you can, and see whether you can comfortably increase your grind to reach for more rewards. It is better to go slow than to burn out. Personally, I think someone thinking of ramping up their arena activity should see if they can do maybe fifteen minutes twice a day. Everyone is different, some can do way more, some might not be able to do that every day, but that's a reasonable starting point. You'll know from your own experience whether you can do more.

When I first started grinding arena (a very long time ago) I started with about fifteen minutes in the morning (five rounds or so), twenty to thirty minutes minutes when I got home from work (maybe ten rounds), and thirty minutes or so before bed. I quickly ramped up from there to several hours a day, on days I could spare the time. I've actually ramped down more recently, because I have less time than I used to.

Also, if you're trying to get units for masteries, I should point out that the "Classic" difficulty version of the Variant missions have a Stony core in three of them for first time completion. You can probably autofight your way through those so it just takes energy. Three cores isn't a lot, but hey, its 405 units worth so if you have the time and the energy, might as well pick those off over time.
  • HotFondue1520HotFondue1520 Posts: 157

Ask MMX members

Lmfao
  • GamerGamer Posts: 10,168 ★★★★★
    I’m grinding 1 week then take 1 week off then just cycklo theme
  • DPXFistheGOATDPXFistheGOAT Posts: 727 ★★★
    Same way I get through other "grown up" activities; I think of something else. Background TV or computer helps too

Same way I get through other "grown up" activities; I think of something else.

Like baseball?
  • Spider_RicoSpider_Rico Posts: 19
    Until you have a larger roster, stick to 3& 4* arena with lower ranked champsuntil you hit 3x multiplier than use your maxed champs until you get to 10 or 11 fights(or use 2 better champs and your lowest ranked to make sure you win the match). Using the maxed champs makes the fights a lot easier, once you hit 3x. Once you hit about 11, you should be able to maintain the streak using your other champs. The grind sucks but once I hit the streak, I countdown the matches until im done. I only do it for shards and chips
  • GinjabredMonstaGinjabredMonsta Posts: 6,454 Guardian
    edited January 2020
    I usually like to wine and dine it first
  • LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★
    I hate arena. I usually do 3 million-7.5 million in the 5* running mostly 6*s and ranked 5*s. If I do more than that I don't want to look at arena for a week lol.