**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Old Habits Die Hard... (Alliance Swapping)

WerewrymWerewrym Posts: 2,830 ★★★★★
edited May 2020 in General Discussion
I know there are a lot of other discussions out there regarding alliance swapping, however, I wanted to start a fresh discussion on this topic because things have changed since this was last brought up. We are all suffering from the effects of flow wars. AW is far less fun these days and becomes more of a chore each and every day flow is allowed to remain intact. If competitive alliances wish to continue growing we are forced to slog through this murky swamp of infinite power gain and #counter champs.

If all of that wasn't bad enough, certain tiers in war have to deal with alliance hoppers. So lets talk about this tactic (I hate calling it a "tactic" because it really isn't one) and how it affects other players. Alliances are far too quick to think about how they can get a small step ahead and don't stop to think about the affect that this behavior has on the game. Not only is bad for the health of the game and the enjoyment of the players, it is also a disgusting strategy and despite the fact there is no rule stating it is "illegal" it is equivalent to cheating. There is such a thing as unspoken rules and that is what I believe this to be. In the wise words of Ian Malcolm from Jurassic Park.

The result of this "tactic" is unfair matchups, skewed season rankings, and lots of unnecessary hate. It's not good for the game! We are all here to enjoy the wonderful world of Marvel, hangout with friends, escape from life for a bit, or just have fun. The reality is that people have a tendency to only think about themselves or their team. Sometimes this can be a good thing, other times it can be quite damaging. In the context of this game it is not a good thing.

AW is probably the most competitive aspect of the game, which in my mind makes it the greatest aspect of the game. Whether you agree with this statement that is relative to the individual, but I think we can all agree that without the competitive nature of the game there wouldn't be any reason to play MCoC. Collecting champs wouldn't be fun if we didn't have some way to compete with those champs. The competitive nature of the game keeps us coming back for more, but alliance swapping opposes that competitive aspect of the game. Swapping alliances serves only one purpose, and that is to eliminate as many competitive war matchups as possible. Manipulating the system to avoid competitive matchups is equal to cheating and this is why I think alliances need to stop using swapping as a "tactic". It's not a tactic, its cheating.

Swapping is hurting the experience of many players in the game and those actively swapping alliances should be ashamed of this behavior. No one goes to a sporting event and competes below their skill level. It would be absurd to see professional athletes competing in high school sports. It wouldn't even be funny. They would get ridiculed for competing below their level. Its not a victory beating an alliance that's in a lower bracket.

So let me wrap this post up. Kabam hasn't really done anything to stop swapping as of yet, I hope that they will address it in the future, but in the meantime it is up to the players to decide whether to participate. I don't know the number of alliances participating in alliance swapping, but every single alliance that participates has a huge negative effect on hundreds of players. Maybe this issue never gets addressed by Kabam, but I'd like to think that we the players would do anything to keep this game fun for everyone even if it means the chance for a few less rewards.

Whatever the case is, a few extra rewards are never worth the title of cheater. I will always opt to play with an alliance that chooses not to participate in alliance swapping even though swapping could potentially benefit myself and my alliance at the tier I am playing in. Just because something is easy doesn't make it right. Swapping comes at a price, both for other players and for those engaged in swapping. Lets keep things competitive and fair, because once we've lost those two things, we've lost MCoC.

Comments

• SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,804 ★★★★★
    this man wrote the entire essay
  • WerewrymWerewrym Posts: 2,830 ★★★★★
    Smash said:

Only @DNA3000 is allowed lol
    I'm trying to give him a run for his money ;). I'll throw a few graphs into my next post.
  • SmashSmash Posts: 808 ★★★
    DNA3000 said:

Smash said:

Only @DNA3000 is allowed lol
    Apparently it is contagious.

You’re the OG. No substitutes 😂
  • winterthurwinterthur Posts: 7,762 ★★★★★
    More than a year of deliberations and yet there is no clear solution.

Is there something weighing on the game team preventing any action?

https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/comment/742864#Comment_742864
    @Kabam Miike it would be nice to get an update on whether the team has made any progress on this particular issue.
  • BłADEBłADE Posts: 148
    what is alliance swapping?
    BłADE said:

what is alliance swapping?

Alliance swapping is when all 30 members of an alliance join a different alliance with lower AW rating so that they can face easier alliances in war and get more rewards, as well as making it easier for them to go on a win streak and reach Master tier rewards with little to no difficulty.
    Another day... Another alliance hopper... So much fun. This alliance placed stone 3 last season.
    Some background before you see the picture I’m going to share. These guys started insulting my alliance, so I had a stab back to see if they would take the bait.

It’s ridiculous that alliances aren’t even ashamed of this behavior. Everyone is so open about their cheating, I don’t get it. Is it too much to ask for people to man up and just play fair? We really need some form of punishment for people who are swapping alliances because it is hurting the game.
  • Unio77Unio77 Posts: 2,539 ★★★★★
    Werewrym said:

Some background before you see the picture I’m going to share. These guys started insulting my alliance, so I had a stab back to see if they would take the bait.

It’s ridiculous that alliances aren’t even ashamed of this behavior. Everyone is so open about their cheating, I don’t get it. Is it too much to ask for people to man up and just play fair? We really need some form of punishment for people who are swapping alliances because it is hurting the game.

No matter the effort or all the hard work you put in to try to make the world a better place, there will always be those willing to oppose it and do what's wrong to gain a benefit.

I totally agree with everything you've said but it's really sad that no matter what you do or the community does ppl like in that photo will still remain.

It speaks waves that kabam havent done anything to resolve this form of cheating
  • GreekhitGreekhit Posts: 2,819 ★★★★★
    edited May 2020
    Werewrym said:

Why are you covering his name? This guy is admitting of abusing the system, along with many others, to take advantage over legit players and being provocative about that. Kabam should give scams like him at least a week ban for tos violation.
    Greekhit said:

Werewrym said:

Why are you covering his name? This guy is admitting of abusing the system, along with many others, to take advantage over legit players and being provocative about that. Kabam should give scams like him at least a week ban for tos violation.
    Unfortunately it is against forum rules to accuse players of cheating even if you know they are cheating. So I can't post alliance name or player names here.
  • MenkentMenkent Posts: 889 ★★★★
    "...not ignoring this behavior"

i.e., completely ignoring this behavior.