**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

MCOC market offering - A case study by some finance guy

Kabam,

I don’t post much but am a pretty active member and part of an alliance that has a great mix of players from those that have spent heavily to guys like me; “Uncollected” with your standard r4 5* SL, numerous 5/50s, who just love the comradery of an alliance and up until this year loved playing the game without letting it rule our lives.

So I woke up one morning this week to find our upper tier players deciding to take a step back from MCOC and look for a new game we could all play together. And while I was initially surprised, it has made sense for them and for me!
While I am sure you won’t be too sad to lose me given I only make selective purchases of your “good” offers such as the recent t4cc daily card, you have effectively alienated a swathe of high to midrange players who are caught in bit of holding pattern. You obviously want us to spend money which is fine, but like with any investment (time and/or money), we need a level of consistency from the product and a return on investment (perceived or real). You are failing on both fronts.

Consistent product:

Your product offering has too many bugs that go unfixed for too long, while you work on making fundamental changes to game mechanics and structure. When we as investors sink our resources (in this case time and money that translates into upgrade items) into something (in this case the game and building up our roster) we want to know that they will hold their value. Unfortunately what you have effectively said with the changes to war (as just one example) is:

“Your investment into defensive champs is now almost worthless please rank up others (ie invest into other champs) so you not only have a diverse defence but a competitive one also”. – (Just as a side note we have gone on a massive win streak off the back of diversity as our players have Kang, Deadpool red etc so it’s not sour grapes, wars just aren’t quite right anymore…)

When you make fundamental changes like this it leads to a lack of confidence from “the market”. Imagine a government providing companies incentives to invest into a particular market and then once they get that investment they suddenly change those conditions and then provide incentives to invest into a competing market. Do you think these/other investors will be likely to invest there in future with this level of instability/lack of certainty?

Which leads to the “return on investment” point:

In completing 5.2 I got 1500 4*, 700 5* shards and the uncollected title which I must say is not game changing a pleasant touch. In order to fully explore 5.2 I will need to invest a significant amount of time and resources for what? Not much more… so let’s just say it’s not on a lot of people’s radar. Then there is 5.3 harder content and unless I commit to fully exploring it for the 5* awakening and rank up gem, nothing there is overly attractive/game changing – 25% of a 5* (which I can get by winning 5-6 wars) and 75% of a 4* (that I don’t really need). So for my time it leaves me to concentrate on monthly events which I finish in a week and a bit and AQ/AWs. The later which as most will agree will only be run as an opportunity to get 5* shards despite the community’s disdain for it. i.e. you are no longer engaging me/incentivising me to play/invest.

So having read all this, lets revisit my alliance’s situation in wanting to find a new game/step back. It is now obvious to see why this has happened. Your market offering has slipped. You don’t provide a suitable return on investment for us mid to upper tier players, nor do you provide a consistent product that gives the market confidence that any new investment they make will hold its value going forward. As such with our roster of r5 4*s we do not need/want to upgrade any more 4* as they will not provide any real competitive advantage and if they do (in the case of AW defence) we don’t know if you will just change the rules again and we lose our investment (upgrade resources). Then there is the drop rate of 5*s and the respective shards (which could spur us on to attacking latter content like 5.3). Let’s face it, it is so low that there is a minimal drive to play just to get these 5*s so it’s no wonder we are looking for the “next” MCOC as it was in “back in the day”. By not listening to your market you’ve tried to turn a “cash cow” into a “star” (refer to BCG matrix) but are slowly turning it into a “?” and possibly a “dog”.

Comments

• Jank39Jank39 Posts: 139
    BCdiscman wrote: »
    This is a great post and very insightful. Maybe you should repost it to reddit's MCOC page before a Moderator deletes it here (as they do with everything that makes sense and puts them into a bad light).

Thanks for the advice. It is done!
This discussion has been closed.