**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Are the Cyclopses effective?

TP33TP33 Posts: 1,577 ★★★★
edited August 2020 in General Discussion
We’ve all seen the memes. Miike said that Cyclops was effective and the community went nuts. I recently thought about it and seeing as I have both of them as 5*s I decided to do some testing.

How did the tests work?

I went into ROL with a team of both cyclopses, Iceman, Magneto (synergy) and Storm (synergy) I wasn’t using suicide masteries. I then set a 5min timer from the very start of the fight. When the timer ends I have to quit out the fight immediately and note down how much Heath WS has. Then I ran some calculations to find out how much damage was done and the Average damage a second of the champion. I know damage isn’t everything though I also wil take into account utility/sustainability.

Iceman (baseline)

I did some baseline testing with Iceman. He is considered a good damage dealing champion with decent utility. I won’t go into great depth but I will note that properly built I managed to get off a couple 5/6k damage heavy attacks. He did 182,492 damage and had an average DOT of 304.15d/s. Solid but not the best.

Cyclops Blue Team

Playing Cyclops Blue Team was quite fun. He crits often and has satisfying animations, his power gain is somewhat above average and it’s fun to be able to throw a lot of specials. (He gains power faster at lower power FYI)

I did 166,684 damage and had an average DOT of 277.8d/s. Not great but a respectable number. I did note I was able to hit a 2.4k heavy attack with 3 armour breaks and a precision. He also has a good crit damage rate which can be increased significantly when duped.

Utility wise Cyclops is slightly lacking. No immunities, power control. He can armour break though. Oh did I forget to mention he can break through the opponents block with specials when duped (mine is unduped)

Cyclops new Xavier school.

Oh boy, let’s just say this version of Cyclops was underwhelming. For a Cyclops that’s pretty hard. Let’s begin with damage. 144,679 overall with an average DOT of 241.1d/s. Pretty low. He also wasn’t so fun. He can’t throw as many specials as his Blue counterpart and his buffs last for shorter periods of time. His sig ability can increase his crit damage more than Blue Cyclopses but he can’t break through his opponents block with it.

Utility. I mean he can crit through the block but that ability is useless seeing as “Critial Hit based abilities will not trigger through a block”. Wtf Kabam? What’s the point in that. I won’t count armour break/precision as an ability for him because you can get maximum 20% uptime on them due to shorter duration and no increase on power gain.

So yeah. That’s that. In conclusion I think, with the correct synergies and Play style (and a pretty decent sig) Blue Team Cyclops has potential as a decent damage dealing champion. I could see him being a god on Power Shield. However New Xavier Cyclops can’t be saved. He’s a terrible character with little practical damage or utility.

P.S: here’s the spreadsheet I worked off of.

Edit: to clarify all champions were 1/25 5* unduped.

Comments

• Southern_KantSouthern_Kant Posts: 157
    Only against havoks if u don't have a warlock etc
  • lowlevelplayerlowlevelplayer Posts: 4,292 ★★★★★
    so you're telling me that my blue cyclops is very effective and won't get buffed?
  • TP33TP33 Posts: 1,577 ★★★★

so you're telling me that my blue cyclops is very effective and won't get buffed?

No he’s just not as bad as you would think and he is a viable option in a couple fights i.e power shield and Havok
  • MSRDLDMSRDLD Posts: 913 ★★★
    He’s a little bit better if you pair him with Sinister.
  • Deadlygamer98Deadlygamer98 Posts: 743 ★★★
    edited August 2020
    @Kabam Miike will tell you all about him and his great features
  • SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,795 ★★★★★

What ranks are each? Based on the dmg done by iceman compared to the cyclopses you are def not using him right. Heavy with frostbites is nice sure but the real dmg is when u time the frostbites right with an s2. A r5 at least can reach over 100k

he said everyone was five star 1/25 unduped
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,558 Guardian
    Cyclops, especially Blue Cyclops, is an effective champ in that he is an above average performer when played by the average player in content up to about Act 5. He's not a bad early pull. Towards the end game his usefulness drops off rapidly, but he still has corner case uses (Havok in particular, but unblockable specials does give him some use cases beyond that). In *relative* terms he's very quickly outmatched by other champions. I'd say he's a decent 4* rank up but not a very good 5* rank up choice.

To be honest, while I don't really use Cyclops outside the arena anymore, I could say the same thing about Star Lord. In fact, in the early game the most valuable champs tend to be general damage dealers, where a champ like Star Lord is pretty good and a champ like Cyclops is only average. But in the end game it is all about counters, and having the right champs to counter the right fights, and actually in the end game Cyclops counters almost nothing and Star Lord counters exactly nothing, so Cyclops is actually marginally more effective in the end game than Star Lord.

Not saying he's a good rank up choice in general, just saying that in the context of the later game, Cyclops isn't awful, he just doesn't have enough use cases so there's almost always a ton of champs better to rank up most of the time. But if you're a player that just doesn't do well against Havok, say, and you rank him up to get past that fight, that isn't necessarily a horrible choice.
  • psp742psp742 Posts: 2,251 ★★★★
    Not sure if I should be happy or not.. last 4th July offer I pull both Cyclops Blue and Red, along with Cable.. recently awaken 6* Cyclops Blue.. not going to add signature stones to him thou.. Magneto maybe better mutant after the buff.. but who knows if that will stick or if kabam will lower the damage output.. after all Magneto seem OP in beta.. just hoping that they maintain the buff and correct the buggy stun
  • SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,795 ★★★★★

What ranks are each? Based on the dmg done by iceman compared to the cyclopses you are def not using him right. Heavy with frostbites is nice sure but the real dmg is when u time the frostbites right with an s2. A r5 at least can reach over 100k

he said everyone was five star 1/25 unduped
    He edited that in later
    Your comment was posted on 3:10 pm EST

He edited the comment at 11:45 am EST

you just didn’t see it
  • NojokejaymNojokejaym Posts: 3,892 ★★★★★
    Iceman is not a high damage champ Idk where you got that he was a high damage champ from
  • Colonaut123Colonaut123 Posts: 3,091 ★★★★★
    Have you tried with Havok, Magneto, Wolverine and CAIW?
  • MaxGamingMaxGaming Posts: 3,204 ★★★★★
    Mabey there is a specific way to play him like ronin that nobody knows just saying and hope im right...

meh its Kabam they are just joking like the EPIC rewards for show up