**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

How long it takes to become good at this game

I feel like such a slow learner with this game and progressing extremely slowly. I’ve seen people start the game and in a few days, are able to use a 300 pi champ against a 30k champ without getting hit. They are able to evade almost every special and their intercept is top notch. I’ve been playing for a month and 3 weeks and my parry is great, my evade is basic, my intercept is meeh and i still get hit at least once. I play the arena constantly and use that to practise and get champs, so how long does it really take to get very good at this game?

Comments

• SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,804 ★★★★★
    come back in say ten-twenty years and I’ll tell you.

It just takes time. Longer for some than others. Don’t work yourself into a tizzy over it.
  • CrcrcrcCrcrcrc Posts: 7,938 ★★★★★
    It took around 70 years for me
  • manveertherealmanveerthereal Posts: 1,359 ★★★
    edited September 2020
    not time effort you have to spend hours I play for around 7 hours a day
  • The_Sentry06The_Sentry06 Posts: 7,781 ★★★★★
    I still haven't gotten good and I have been playing for more than 2 years.
  • Kill_GreyKill_Grey Posts: 8,666 ★★★★★
    Etjama said:

It varies. Some can become a God in days, some can never get good. I've been playing this game for a long time. My reparry's great, my intercept's great, my dex is great most of the time though some specials mess me up and my backdraft's great. But guess what? My initial parries kinda suck. That means I have to reparry on the second hit, but it turns out to be a lot of block damage which puts me in a position where I have to rely on intercepts and backdraft's which are a lot riskier. I'll mess up 1 intercept out of 20 and I'm dead. Everyone has their weaknesses, even the Endgame players.

I also fail my first parry a lot. All due to lag issues. So yeah, a lot of the time, it's the performance that screws up gameplay.

But yeah, I would consider myself a good player, my light and medium intercepts on point (get hit a fair amount trying to perform medium intercepts because of the AI nowadays), I can parry dash attacks without a problem for about 90% of the time, etc.
  • Lvernon15Lvernon15 Posts: 11,596 ★★★★★
    Depends on what you define as good
  • ShrimkinsShrimkins Posts: 1,479 ★★★★
    Also keep in mind, what is considered "good" has changed dramatically over the years. Way back in the day, people used perfect block teams and as long as you could avoid heavy attacks, you won the game. Most of us have been able to slowly build our skills over the years as needed when the meta changes. I didn't even know what an intercept was 2 years into the game, it just wasn't something people tried or cared to do.

I guess my point is, give yourself a break. Just keep playing and keep trying to improve your skills and it will come.
  • QfuryQfury Posts: 1,860 ★★★★★
    How long is a piece of string?

In all seriousness though I've been playing since just after the 12.0 update & I still suck
  • Thicco_ModeThicco_Mode Posts: 8,852 ★★★★★
    it depends how fast you learn. some people just naturally learn faster. I played the game for probably a year or more and I sucked the entire time, although it's probably because I had no time and played once a week. once I spent more time on the game, I got much better.
  • TheBestinTuakauTheBestinTuakau Posts: 955 ★★★
    edited September 2020
    I'm a fast learner and learned how to consistently parry, intercept and all that jazz in under a few months

Edit: RoL Winter Soldier is a great place to practise
  • Lobster44Lobster44 Posts: 147
    Pretty sure nobody's beating 30ks with a 300 PI champ in their first few days, if you see people doing that they're definitely on a second account. I wouldn't worry at your stage, pretty much everything before act 5 is pretty easy and can be done even if you're still developing your basic skills, and once you're going beyond that if you're good enough to clear the content then you're also good enough to not have to worry about if you need to improve.
  • Tiger360Tiger360 Posts: 1,696 ★★★★
    Would be nice if they updated arena AI to act as normal AI acts, would allow you to get better and grind units, but now it feels like you are fighting against zombies
  • Nitro422Nitro422 Posts: 276
    edited September 2020
    Arena doesn't work for practice IMO, the champs are dumbed down. AW is much better for practice, you're under pressure to not loose a champ and the opponent is much more agreesive.
    Ive been playing for 3 years, non stop, and I consider myself average. I can beat most champs in AW/AQ, but I stink at bosses. It is what it is...
  • MaxGamingMaxGaming Posts: 3,204 ★★★★★
    When you can reparry perfectly every time you know you are close
  • JadedJaded Posts: 5,476 ★★★★★
    There is no “time”. Only aspect that matters in this game is how much you play it. The more you play every mode, the better you’ll get. If you do as minimum as possible, your skills with go down a bit.
  • Hammerbro_64Hammerbro_64 Posts: 7,463 ★★★★★
    The biggest difference between this and other Mobile games is that you won’t be top tier in a month if you have half a brain (Supercell clash games for example). It’s much closer to a console game in that it is a long term goal of collecting upgrading and pushing though content. Of all the things Kabam has messed up, they have a good model for longevity (even if that does push away people who expect to have a 6* on their first day *cough* future fight *cough*).

So don’t worry about if you are good, of course try to get better, just worry if you are having fun, and the rest comes with it.