Progression Sucks but Y’all’s Solutions Do Too. Here’s What I’d Do

Batty_NumppoBatty_Numppo Member Posts: 288 ★★★
edited November 2020 in Suggestions and Requests
Since yesterday, I’ve seen a lot of cavalier people rightfully complain about not just the offers they were allowed to buy, but also the general separation between early cav players and highly progressed cav players, and between advanced cav players and Thronebreaker. While recent cav players may really benefit from their offers, the cavalier pool is still a huge range of players at different levels, and most cav players were really shafted.

I’ve also heard some solutions, but most of them sound like they were written by the same Kabam employees who came up with Thronebreaker. A lot of “if you have X 5* R5s, then introduce a new cav level (with better offers)”, or “if you have X 6* R2s,” etc. I have major beef with these ideas and with how Thronebreaker is currently - since when should progression and access to improved goods become based on what you have rather than what you’ve done? Isn’t that just insane to you? Talk about the rich getting richer.

Get this - I’m a cav player who’s done Act 6 100%. I rushed a bit in October to explore it all hoping I’d get to Thronebreaker in time for this weekend’s deals. But nope. Unless y’all expect me to rank up Black Bolt, YellowJacket, cosmic Spidey or Modok to R3, I literally can’t become Thronebreaker. It’s totally fair to say I’m only posting cuz I’m salty, cuz hell yes I’m salty! When most of your friends can buy class specific 6* Nexus crystals and 25% T5CC selectors even if they’re only at 50% Act 6 exploration (or less), while you’re 100% done with all of the main story and stuck with the cav ****, you get salty. But I’ve always hated the Thronebreaker requirements. Hate’s just a bit more pronounced this week.

Anyway, this is what I’d do. Take Cav and split it into two by adding a new level below Thronebreaker - this just helps to separate the huge gap of players with the current cavalier title (which Thronebreaker didn’t even come close to separating). The requirements for this new level should be 6.4 completion. Just beat the Grandmaster once and you can get a bump up in progression. Im pretty sure this pretty evenly divides this large group of players.

As for Thronebreaker, since we’re unfortunately already steeped into the problem as it is, just add an “or” requirement of either having an R3 OR 100% exploration. I realize I’m probably just one of a very small number of players who would benefit from this, but that’s OK for two reasons. First, at least the cavalier gap gets solved with the previous suggestion. Second, it at least returns the principle of talent-based progression back to the game. I’m afraid of the slippery slope of making progression beyond Thronebreaker continuously based on one’s roster rather than one’s story accomplishments.

Kabam, in the future, please stop with the rank-based roster requirements. It introduces a certain level of luck required to move up, which is far from ideal to speak nothing of being inconsistent. It’s amazing that the cavalier level existed for so long as the top level and that after all that time to come up with a new level, THIS became the requirement. Please focus better on how often to introduce new progression and what the requirements should be.

TL;DR Thronebreaker sucks cuz I’ve had bad luck but accomplished a lot and Kabam needs to do something about it.
Post edited by Kabam Zibiit on

Comments

• Raichu626Raichu626 Member Posts: 934 ★★★★

players like me and my friend who finished act 6 at lvl 52 and 56.

How would you even do that? My second account hasn't even started Act 5.2 and is bordering on 50...
  • NameforforumNameforforum Member Posts: 25
    One of the ideas that has been passed around for a long time is to own a class catalyst ,but not actually have to waste it on a bad champ. It's a perfect idea, but Kabam shot it down because they want you to waste it.
  • Mqc19Mqc19 Member Posts: 373 ★★★
    Stop complaining. Do the work and progress. The amount of tools, champs, and resources to new players is very robust comparative to what existed when many of us completed the content.
  • Batty_NumppoBatty_Numppo Member Posts: 288 ★★★
    Mqc19 said:

Stop complaining. Do the work and progress. The amount of tools, champs, and resources to new players is very robust comparative to what existed when many of us completed the content.

Do what work, exactly? Did you even read? I’ve done Act 6 100%. Done every cav EQ and cav objective since they started. Done every variant. Only thing I haven’t done is 100% Abyss (I have done completion), but the whole POINT of this is to say that the requirements are not what they should be, so if you’re here to say I should do 100% Abyss then I’m here to say fine - make that the Thronebreaker title requirement and take it away from anyone who hasn’t done that yet.

These titles should be about actual accomplishment. Period.
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Member Posts: 21,831 ★★★★★

Mqc19 said:

Do what work, exactly? Did you even read? I’ve done Act 6 100%. Done every cav EQ and cav objective since they started. Done every variant. Only thing I haven’t done is 100% Abyss (I have done completion), but the whole POINT of this is to say that the requirements are not what they should be, so if you’re here to say I should do 100% Abyss then I’m here to say fine - make that the Thronebreaker title requirement and take it away from anyone who hasn’t done that yet.

Having an R3 is an accomplishment.

Mqc19 said:

Having an R3 is an accomplishment.
    Having an R3 is an accomplishment... with some (or even a lot of) luck. That’s not really fair to players who have done the same or more content but got unlucky in getting a good 6* champ and aligning their whole T5C to be of the same class.
    @Batty_Numppo whats your T5CC situation look like right now?

Full cosmic and science. Only champs I have in those classes are Black Bolt, Cosmic Spidey, Yellowjacket and Modok. I’m close on skill (~5% away) and will probably R3 Stealthy when it’s fully formed. Then a bit further down is mystic (~20% away), for which I’ve got a sig 40 Claire. Mutant tech aren’t even close.

Full cosmic and science. Only champs I have in those classes are Black Bolt, Cosmic Spidey, Yellowjacket and Modok. I’m close on skill (~5% away) and will probably R3 Stealthy when it’s fully formed. Then a bit further down is mystic (~20% away), for which I’ve got a sig 40 Claire. Mutant tech aren’t even close.
    I don't understand what you're complaining about then.
  • GiuliameijGiuliameij Member Posts: 1,849 ★★★★
    Eventhou I don`t really like a r3 requirement either. And had much rather seen a progression requirement based on something you have beaten. Even the cavalier title was already somewhat based on your roster. If you didn`t have any decent counters at a good enough level (5* or higher) you were unlikely to get the title. There was a solution thou, and that was units.
    You still have a solution right now. And that is to rank up a champ you are most likely not going to use. BUT, it will open up new stuff and you will get greater rewards which will allow you to level up more champions and get you more 6 stars so you can level up a champ that is worthy or rank 3.
    I personally feel that you should just rank 3 a champ when you get your catalyst. Since your progression will become a lot smoother afterwards.
    The only thing that could keep you back is not having any champ of the class you have the t5cc of. Really unlikely but possible.
    Soon I will be going for the abyss, and I will rank up any option I have. I have 1 option I would really like. Some that I do not mind, but know I will never use. And some are just bad.
    The only thing that will keep me from an amazing r3 champ is time.
  • Osfan8Osfan8 Member Posts: 760 ★★★

That you've managed to explore act 6 with only 10-20 6* champs (i'm guessing based on 2 science and 2 cosmic) is impressive. If the TB title is that important to you then rank up one of those 4, I'm partial to cosmic Spidey but that's just my $0.02, there will be a lot more catalysts in the future and given that you don't open a lot of 6*s it's not like you are expecting Corvus or Torch tomorrow, let alone a great champ in one of those classes that needs to be duped to be good. Having the title will be acquiring t5cc shards easier going forward and hopefully you can rank Stealthy soon.
    What’s hilarious to me is that a couple of you have already suggested I rank up awful champs like cosmic Spidey to R3 just to become Thronebreaker right now. Someone in my ally tossed that one at me too. Like, sure, but can we acknowledge how screwed up the system is if it incentivizes ranking up cosmic Spideys?! That’s part of the point I’m making.

(And no way am I making that rankup. I’ll wait and lose out a bit on immediate Thronebreaker rewards and offers)