**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Guardian Vs Sunspot. Who is more useful and why

SirStacheSirStache Posts: 29
edited December 2020 in Strategy and Tips
I have recently gotten a 5 star Guardian which I have been testing against the 4.3.6 Venom and ROL Winter Soldier along with my Sunspot of the same rank to compare them as they are very similar champions. From my experience, sp1 + sp2 from guardian rivals an sp1 + sp1 + sp1 + sp1 + sp2 from sunspot, despite the fact that in the Winter Soldier fight, Sunspot had class advantage and in the Venom fight Guardian had class disadvantage. Not only that, Guardian has more utility with his block proficiency boost for his team, his own perfect block, his lack of crits, his 4 pseudo immunities, his resistance to limbo, his ability to parry havoc, IMIW and Nova, his monstrous resistance to energy damage and his small amount of power drain. He also has no need to inflict debuffs to deal heavy damage. And yet people seem to rank him lower than Sunspot. Can you tell me who you think is more useful and explain why you think so in the comments?

Guardian Vs Sunspot. Who is more useful and why 56 votes

Guardian
82%
Haji_SaabSpity68TheManMythLegendCliffordcanrockray2016Hammerbro_64AssumedNameRockyshockySidDDragonDarth_SaintMeebletonEtjamaNo_oneukThicco_ModeCtfz35DarkDuelistAnnihilator13_EdeuinkBawa69JonnySnow 46 votes
Sunspot
17%
XxicylovexXDOKTOROKTOPUSCage_1WindsnrosesIronman3000DretlleRenaxqqSpeedySpideycentennialDarkKnight646 10 votes
Post edited by Kabam Porthos on

Comments

• Thicco_ModeThicco_Mode Posts: 8,852 ★★★★★
    Guardian
    For damage, I'd say theyre similar, but guardian can ramp infinitely, whereas sunspot has a limit, and can never reach that limit anyway in a normal fight. Guardian's utility is way, way superir to ss though
  • SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,804 ★★★★★
    Guardian
    guardians mega damage is great plus he has a lot more utility
  • Hammerbro_64Hammerbro_64 Posts: 7,463 ★★★★★
    Guardian
    They are just intimidated by his victory screen
  • Kill_GreyKill_Grey Posts: 8,666 ★★★★★
  • JonnySnowJonnySnow Posts: 117
    Guardian
    Guardian but only if you can take him to max sig.

All of the benefits you mentioned really only shine when he is at max sig.

If we compare them out of the box then Sunspot is the better option. It really depends on what kind of content you're working through and what kind of resources you have.

Also, one sp1 from Guardian is not the same build up as four sp1 from Sunspot haha I'd say an sp3 + sp1 then sp2 but maybe not even then.
  • SirStacheSirStache Posts: 29

SirStache said:

From my experience, sp1 + sp2 from guardian rivals an sp1 + sp1 + sp1 + sp1 + sp2 from sunspot?

Either I read it wrong or you made a mistake here cause there’s no way a SP1+SP2 damage from Guardian can be on the same level as the four SP1s+SP2 from Suspot cause he would have 5 solar flares at this point.
    That was not a a mistype. It did rival four sp1s. I'm gonna mess around with them more just to confirm but they are at the very least very close.
  • CrcrcrcCrcrcrc Posts: 7,940 ★★★★★
    Guardian

SirStache said:

SirStache said:

From my experience, sp1 + sp2 from guardian rivals an sp1 + sp1 + sp1 + sp1 + sp2 from sunspot?

Either I read it wrong or you made a mistake here cause there’s no way a SP1+SP2 damage from Guardian can be on the same level as the four SP1s+SP2 from Suspot cause he would have 5 solar flares at this point.
    That was not a a mistype. It did rival four sp1s. I'm gonna mess around with them more just to confirm but they are at the very least very close.
    I did a little testing myself and here’s the result:
    4 star Sunspot Rank 1, unduped

Total SP2 damage excluding incinerate=27,529

4 star Guardian Rank 1, unduped

Total SP2 damage excluding shock=6092
    Did you allow Sunspot 4 sp1s and only 1 for Guardian? No wonder Sunspot did more.

SirStache said:

SirStache said:

Oddly enough I also tested with my R2 five star guardian and sunspot against winter soldier, and guardian at 7 force field charges (you can wait for the first three to charge passively, use sp1 to get to 6, then by the time you get to sp2 you can get a seventh one charged passively) dealt 10 percent damage. Sunspot with 5 flare states dealt 6-7 percent damage. Not sure what we did differently. Maybe you didn't have 7 force field charges. Either that or my sunspot sp2 was severely lacking in crits.
  • EtherealityEthereality Posts: 685 ★★★
    Guardian

SirStache said:

SirStache said:

No point in comparing damages between them if you are not gonna ramp Guardian up, he needs lotsa force fields to achieve comparable damage as susnpot.

Speaking of other thing though, I say do Guardian because he has this killer synergy thwt gives loads of block proficiency to the entire team. This SHOULD NOT be overlooked, this is a very potent synergy. Specially if:

- You are doing high end content where bosses hits so hard that even blocking is a hazard. The extra block proficiency helps if you make a mistake .

- You have other Top Champions that DEPEND ON BLOCKING for their utility, such a CMM and HT. I have these two that is why I'm taking my Guardian to R5 as soon as i get the resources to do so.
    Crcrcrc said:

SirStache said:

SirStache said:

Did you allow Sunspot 4 sp1s and only 1 for Guardian? No wonder Sunspot did more.
    Well actually I wrote in the post that a single sp1 (7 force field charges) from guardian rivaled 4 sp1s (5 flare states) from sunspot, so he was testing out my statement. However we found different results, in my case, my guardian did 10 percent damage with an sp2 with 7 force field charges whereas my sunspot did 6-7 percent damage with an sp2 with 5 flare states. I'm trying to figure out why our results are so vastly different.
  • DigletGamingDigletGaming Posts: 849 ★★★★
    Guardian
    Sunspot is good rating wise, guardian is good damage wise

SirStache said:

SirStache said:

SirStache said:

Oddly enough I also tested with my R2 five star guardian and sunspot against winter soldier, and guardian at 7 force field charges (you can wait for the first three to charge passively, use sp1 to get to 6, then by the time you get to sp2 you can get a seventh one charged passively) dealt 10 percent damage. Sunspot with 5 flare states dealt 6-7 percent damage. Not sure what we did differently. Maybe you didn't have 7 force field charges. Either that or my sunspot sp2 was severely lacking in crits.
    My Guardian had 5 charges when I fired the SP2. Since I excluded the shock damage I’m also disregarding quite a chunk of damage; 831 per tick which lasts for the entire SP2 animation.
    That might explain it. Although even then that should make the damage somewhat closer to sunspot. In my test guardian did literally like 1.5 times the damage. I'll see if I can take some screenshot or screen record my test. I have Android so it's quite difficult.
  • DirtyMike1DirtyMike1 Posts: 10

SirStache said:

SirStache said:

Total SP2 damage excluding shock=6092</blockquote

Never mind 😬
  • GardenerGardener Posts: 1,601 ★★★
    Guardian
    Gaurdian has massive damage but, i would say susnspot has the same but then it comes to utility. Sunspots only utility i think is incinerate immune while gaurdian has loads of block proficiency and a AMAZING synergy
    I now need to figure out whether I want to use my generic awakening gem on him. I kinda want to keep it for a passing Aegon tho.