**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Thoughts on Odin

RookiieRookiie Posts: 4,769 ★★★★★
*after many, many hours of mulling*
So, here goes:

Initially, I have to say I was disappointed. I read his abilities, and then I read them again, and again, hoping I had missed something.
Where was his utility?
How come he doesn't have any immunities? At least to Poison.
How come he doesn't inflict any debuffs? Isn't that a given by now?

And I read them again, and I looked at Odin.
The All-Father. The Protector of the Nine Realms.
Where are you?

Odinsleep:
I love this mechanic. He needs to recharge to gain his full strength and that makes the mechanic true to character. The Fury and massive Armour Up (Havok counter) buffs are super potent, over 5k and 6k respectively.
We all want to Odin every fight, and while initially the thought of benching Odin sounds disappointing, we must remember this mechanic is broken and in the balance of things it's only fair to use it every now and then.
Now, Rookiie, enough with the comfort words, you might say. Fine. If we scroll down to the spotlight and take a look at his cross fight abilities, they seem good enough to bench Odin and get the Odinsleep later. That's balance right there.

Odinforce
At first (and second, and third) glance, I thought the mechanic was an injustice. Odinforce grants bonus effects off Heavy (Energize), SP1 (Bulwark), SP2 (Refresh), SP3 (Extend). Um, what? This is the Odinforce we're talking about. What are these measly buffs? Something is not right.
Individually, they look like meaningless pieces of a puzzle. But the Odinforce isn't ramped up when you knock the opponent down twice. The Odinforce is ramped up when you've gained every possible buff you can, then their combined power is fed into the Special 2 Attack. And that's where the puzzle's picture looks majestic.
It's worth noting that Odin is a Giant Slayer, and his Direct Damage scales with the opponent's Max Health. I love this. He always goes after the biggest challengers. If that's not true to character, I don't know what is.

Signature Ability:
Nothing entirely noteworthy here. Maybe I'm missing something. You guys can tell me if there are Physical or Energy resist monsters or nodes that Odin can benefit from. Personally, I would have implemented a regeneration mechanic to complement the Odinsleep (too much like Apocalypse? Maybe. But it would have made more sense to me).

Cross Fight Abilities:
Thrudstok - an Aptitude buff which increases the potency of Fury, Armour Up and Precision by 13%. This is nice and can come in handy for Buffed Up nodes.
Draupnir - I love this one. Grants a Protection buff which prevents the loss of more than 18% from a single source. There are so many Shock, Poison and Bleed nodes that drain 100% of health over 30 or 60 seconds. Does this mitigate that? If so, this is going to prove to be extremely useful.
Stormbreaker - grants a Shock Resistance buff increasing Shock Resistance by 80%. Quite niche, but going to be really handy where applicable.

Synergies: I have to admit I love the Warmonger one. Very much like Odin to take on the biggest foe, and this complements his Giant Slayer mechanic very well. But a much better job could have been done with the rest.

Overall, I really like what they've done with him. He might not be a staple in every roster, but conceptually he's very unique and true to character.

And now, we await some gameplay.

Comments

• ValmarxValmarx Posts: 521 ★★★
    Its 3rd month in a row for me im saving a bunch of units not going for the featured
    crystal opening or buying those pre release deals.
    Sorry but these champions just lack most of the time something important for me.

This time:
    Odin - Disappointment with synergies.
    YOU CANT call him Cosmic Apoc as he does NOT benefit with he's synergies
    Thor, Jane & Loki as much as Apoc benefits Gambit, Storm, Wolverine & AA.
    Earth and Sky of a difference.

Mangog - For me its he's design, Akku from Samurai Jack.
    Gives me anxiety and that Flashy skills again a pain to eyes.
    Synergies tho look fine with him.
    Same with Utility.
  • RookiieRookiie Posts: 4,769 ★★★★★
    edited March 2021
    OH MY GOD I THOUGHT AKU FROM SAMURAI JACK AS WELL - great minds think alike 😏
    On Odin, I never wanted to call him the Cosmic Apocalypse, because he's not.
    He's a Giant Slayer, a Warmonger, a King who stands on the front line in battle.
    And that's how they designed him.
  • TrashyPandaTrashyPanda Posts: 1,574 ★★★★★
    I don't think he's a champ that I can judge from paper. Some I can, but this one's tricky.

The synergies and 'vault' don't excite me that much, but if he's an amazing boss killer like they seem to want him to be, then that matters little.
  • IronGladiator22IronGladiator22 Posts: 1,637 ★★★★
    Valmarx said:

Its 3rd month in a row for me im saving a bunch of units not going for the featured
    crystal opening or buying those pre release deals.
    Sorry but these champions just lack most of the time something important for me.

This time:
    Odin - Disappointment with synergies.
    YOU CANT call him Cosmic Apoc as he does NOT benefit with he's synergies
    Thor, Jane & Loki as much as Apoc benefits Gambit, Storm, Wolverine & AA.
    Earth and Sky of a difference.

Mangog - For me its he's design, Akku from Samurai Jack.
    Gives me anxiety and that Flashy skills again a pain to eyes.
    Synergies tho look fine with him.
    Same with Utility.

Are you comparing the Odin synergies with Thor Jane and Loki to the apocalypse synergies with gambit storm wolverine and AA? All of this synergy’s do work, but wolverine and storm, at least from the gameplay I’ve seen, got much better synergies with apoc than AA and gambit. So I don’t think that’s a completely fair analogy. I would argue that wolverine and storm are two of the best apoc synergies, with wolverine sitting in second behind cable.