**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Howard Nerf?

Maxwell24Maxwell24 Posts: 413 ★★★
edited April 2021 in General Discussion
Yes I know the Buff isn't out yet but from what his abilities say it's not much of a buff. His furys are now capped at 50, have less potency, no crit damage per stack, and your can only can them when you stun the opponent, and are not infinite, and now his heavy attack remove your armor ups to infict not so good armor breaks. He also didn't gain much utility he now has stun on sl3, heal block on sp1, and suppression on sp2. From a overhaul I wasn't expecting them to nerf his damage and give him meh utility, I personally love this character and I dont like what they are doing to him

Comments

• The_Sentry06The_Sentry06 Posts: 7,781 ★★★★★
    Aleor said:

While we can’t say for certain how good or bad this buff is, it certainly has potential.

Lol what? We definitely can. Anybody who can read his abilities can do that.
    He's basically another parry/heavy champ, wich is super boring. As for his utility, this 10% power rate reduction is nothing big compared to normal power lock. Heal block is fine. Sp3 is useless now. Well, you may want to go for it to land a heavy on limber, I guess, but again, that's because he relies on his heavy now. And on top of that they added mash thing. Wich doesn't look good imo, I hate coward node, and that mash makes you tap block more then you did last mash. How do I know? I read his description. The only thing that may be difficult to predict is his damage output, but I didn't mention it until now.
    Lol wut?
    The 10% power reduction can be stacked multiple times. Sure it's not as great as power lock but it's still something, probably allowing you to chain multiple heavies after it. You say sp3 is useless but then give a use for it after. It also allows you to place a passive stun to gain furies in places where regular debuffs won't work. No one knows how Mash works yet so idk how you can say that. Dude, if you are on Coward, you might as well use the node to your advantage by dashing back and dealing with the opponent, no ones asking you to play Howard in his normal playstyle on it.

Also, the heavy thing is a matter of personal preference and can't be used to bring a champion down. Quake, Mags, AA,etc. rely on heavies, does that bring them down, nope.
  • CosmicGuardianCosmicGuardian Posts: 408 ★★★
    Aleor said:

While we can’t say for certain how good or bad this buff is, it certainly has potential.

He's basically another parry/heavy champ, wich is super boring. As for his utility, this 10% power rate reduction is nothing big compared to normal power lock. Heal block is fine. Sp3 is useless now. Well, you may want to go for it to land a heavy on limber, I guess, but again, that's because he relies on his heavy now. And on top of that they added mash thing. Wich doesn't look good imo, I hate coward node, and that mash makes you tap block more then you did last mash. How do I know? I read his description. The only thing that may be difficult to predict is his damage output, but I didn't mention it until now.
    The point I was trying to make was that we can’t make any final judgments on the buff based solely upon the spotlight. Many abilities can look good on paper but turn out the opposite and vice versa. There have been many times in the history of the game where we haven’t been able to get a good idea of how a champion will perform from just the spotlight. Upon release of their spotlights, many people believed Apocalypse and Doom would be subpar champs until we saw gameplay and could test for ourselves.

Likewise, when the spotlights for Terrax and Moleman initially released, many people believed they would be pretty good, however on their release they ended up being subpar champs. Hopefully, the patch will go live today and we will be able to get a good look at how his buff actually turned out. Until then, we can only theorize how good or bad he may be, but we can’t actually make any definitive decisions on how his buff actually turned out until we can test him ourselves.
  • AleorAleor Posts: 3,054 ★★★★★

Aleor said:

Lol wut?
    The 10% power reduction can be stacked multiple times. Sure it's not as great as power lock but it's still something, probably allowing you to chain multiple heavies after it. You say sp3 is useless but then give a use for it after. It also allows you to place a passive stun to gain furies in places where regular debuffs won't work. No one knows how Mash works yet so idk how you can say that. Dude, if you are on Coward, you might as well use the node to your advantage by dashing back and dealing with the opponent, no ones asking you to play Howard in his normal playstyle on it.

Also, the heavy thing is a matter of personal preference and can't be used to bring a champion down. Quake, Mags, AA,etc. rely on heavies, does that bring them down, nope.
    From htd description:
    "Button Masher Extraordinaire

Rapidly pressing the Block button at different times in the fight grants Howard special MASH! Bonuses. Each MASH! bonus requires more presses of the Block button than the last within the same window.
    In the Pre-Fight Menu, Howard can activate the Auto-Masher which lasts for the duration of the fight. While Auto-Masher is active, all MASH! Bonuses will be handled automatically for Howard.
    While fighting as a Defender, Auto-Masher is always active."

I mentioned coward node as it also wants you to tap block a lot, and doing it in every fight didn't look fun imo. Sp3 - got different use, wich can occasionally deal with limber. I.e. his current sp3 use is lost.
    AA can stack nt on specials, but if you can't heavy, you most likely won't use him. Quake doesn't need to land heavy, she's kinda bad example here. Mags has unstoppable. Hype doesn't need it as much and has great reach for heavy. Not sure about htd reach distance.
    Also you'd need 10 power reduction debuffs to power lock opponent in normal fights, 20-30 on increased combat power rate node (getting to 20 with those expiring seems to be annoying at least). Not sure how would it work with power gain champs/nodes.

I have htd as 6* and don't use him. Won't use him after buff most likely. With tigra and manthing he was ok option for damage in any fight. His change is far from hood declined buff, and I don't care about htd, but I can see why some people would not be happy with his buff

Aleor said:

Aleor said:

Lol wut?

From htd description:
    "Button Masher Extraordinaire

Rapidly pressing the Block button at different times in the fight grants Howard special MASH! Bonuses. Each MASH! bonus requires more presses of the Block button than the last within the same window.
    In the Pre-Fight Menu, Howard can activate the Auto-Masher which lasts for the duration of the fight. While Auto-Masher is active, all MASH! Bonuses will be handled automatically for Howard.
    While fighting as a Defender, Auto-Masher is always active."

I mentioned coward node as it also wants you to tap block a lot, and doing it in every fight didn't look fun imo. Sp3 - got different use, wich can occasionally deal with limber. I.e. his current sp3 use is lost.
    AA can stack nt on specials, but if you can't heavy, you most likely won't use him. Quake doesn't need to land heavy, she's kinda bad example here. Mags has unstoppable. Hype doesn't need it as much and has great reach for heavy. Not sure about htd reach distance.
    Also you'd need 10 power reduction debuffs to power lock opponent in normal fights, 20-30 on increased combat power rate node (getting to 20 with those expiring seems to be annoying at least). Not sure how would it work with power gain champs/nodes.

I have htd as 6* and don't use him. Won't use him after buff most likely. With tigra and manthing he was ok option for damage in any fight. His change is far from hood declined buff, and I don't care about htd, but I can see why some people would not be happy with his buff
    No one used the sp3 utlity anyways. It's so inaccessble. Also, even with synergy, there were many other options for damage itself and his case isn't justified by "oh, many champions have damage, Howard can too!" He legit had slightly above average damage for most of the fight with the synergy untill he ramped up by which time most top-tier option would have finished the fight (barring simple Labyrinth Fights). Plus your point about him only being an okay damage fight prooves that he had no utility anyone relied anyways.

Also everyone keeps gassing up this power lock, but who actually used that with Howard? It's happened to so randomnly and what function did it serve than to potentially spam some more heavies when using Howard for fun. That some function can potentially be done with these suppresion debuffs. No one used it for utility.
    I didn't even care to know about it, but smbd said they liked it, I don't see any reason to doubt that.
    Duck was mostly used by people, who didn't have better options, I guess. A lot of characters are lame. Say he's your first 6* and you have 5* buddies for synergy. And boom - you use him.
    Also I'm not comparing his power control pre/post buff, I'm only looking for any value he can provide after the buff. For me - none. If he becomes worse for people who used him before the buff, it's pretty sad.
    Jaded said:

The 5 people that might have used HTD in his current state smh.

Wait and see, if more people will use the buffed up HTD wouldn’t it stand for reason that it’s better then the previous iteration? Regardless of what the 5 say.

So if they buff quake so she doesn't require as much skill and more people use her, it would be ok? Regardless of what the 5% of players who mastered her say
  • JadedJaded Posts: 5,476 ★★★★★

I dont remember anyone talking about how they totally used Howard until now.

Swedeah simps

Pretty much. I remember a video years ago (before abyss and 6.2 champion boss releases) where a HTD was clearing x23 in LoL. At this time I had htd and not cleared LoL. I did not take my htd up to do this fight because of the video.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 5,476 ★★★★★
    Aleor said:

Jaded said:

The 5 people that might have used HTD in his current state smh.

Wait and see, if more people will use the buffed up HTD wouldn’t it stand for reason that it’s better then the previous iteration? Regardless of what the 5 say.

So if they buff quake so she doesn't require as much skill and more people use her, it would be ok? Regardless of what the 5% of players who mastered her say
    Sure but it’s more then 5% that use her. Way way more...