**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Is Variant 1 That Bad?

I'm just wondering in general, most people say it's really horrible.

Comments

• CorkscrewCorkscrew Posts: 532 ★★★

That 2015 gem doesn't help a lot of people going back now if they have developed rosters, especially if you're primarily focused in 6*. I got no one to use it on anymore, at least not at present. For the trouble, I'll probably never use it unless there's a very spicy champ update that would make the R5 worthwhile.

@Fear_of_Clowns2099 There are some super spicy buffs to 2015 champs e.g. Colossus, Red Mags, Venom, Hulkbuster.
    Unfortunately, it's very RNG oriented. You have to have that champ and the same class of crystal. The other issue is the order in which you've accumulated the gems. You often can't use a gem on an older champ until you've used your newer gems based on how the inventory works.
  • LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★
    When I went back to it with a larger roster it wasn't bad at all.
  • GAMEOVERJamesGAMEOVERJames Posts: 901 ★★★
    At the time when I fully explored the V1, it was really horrible.....
  • WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★
    Today? No, not really. Newer champs and much easier access to many more higher rank champs has made it much less of a pain point. When it released? Oh absolutely. I think I had 2 maybe 3 R5 5*s when it came out and champs like Ghost and Corvus were still relatively new. Thing was the only shock immune champ in the game at the time I think and I certainly didn't have him. It was rough then.
  • QfuryQfury Posts: 1,860 ★★★★★

Not at all, tbh the difficulty is greatly exaggerated. This is mainly because when It first came out it was difficult for rosters then (I did it with 4*s on completion PAIN) But not it is not so hard.

Even the 1.1% not active non passive degen is a bit annoying, but if u have salve u will survive the degen, and as long as u dont get touched u will win the fight.

its still the hardest of the variants, but the difficulty is greatly exaggerated.

In all fairness for the average Joe it is difficult... Not all of us can solo abyss fights with a 2* :D

• PolygonPolygon Posts: 3,830 ★★★★★
    Looks like variant 7 has the same horrible class gate restriction as v1
  • EpistriatusEpistriatus Posts: 1,248 ★★★★
    I don’t get the fuss about the year-based rank-up gems, I basically see it as a way to rank up champs I wouldn’t want to use catalysts on. For example: Iron Patriot.

More ot: nothing more to add than what’s already been said. Like so many others when it was released my completion run felt like hell, when I went back to explore it months later it was much easier.
  • CorkscrewCorkscrew Posts: 532 ★★★
    edited April 2021

I don’t get the fuss about the year-based rank-up gems, I basically see it as a way to rank up champs I wouldn’t want to use catalysts on. For example: Iron Patriot.

My issue with the gems is that sometimes you can't use them because there are other gems in the way that the inventory system forces you to use first. Particularly because I did most of the variants in a semi reverse order.

There are some great buffed older champs now though. Took Crossbones to r4 even before his buff and now it looks like an essentially free r4 on a great champ.
  • BerjibsBerjibs Posts: 1,523 ★★★★
    Corkscrew said:

My issue with the gems is that sometimes you can't use them because there are other gems in the way that the inventory system forces you to use first. Particularly because I did most of the variants in a semi reverse order.

There are some great buffed older champs now though. Took Crossbones to r4 even before his buff and now it looks like an essentially free r4 on a great champ.
    Contact support. They will rearrange your gems for you post rank up so you use the one you want.

For eg I couldn’t use a 2016 gem or whatever it was on iceman as I also had a mutant gem. The year gem was about to expire in overflow.

They made me use the mutant gem then gave it back to me and took the year gem. All happened within a few hours of contacting them. 👌🏽

• Mr_PlatypusMr_Platypus Posts: 2,779 ★★★★★
    GagoH said:

Looks like variant 7 has the same horrible class gate restriction as v1

Depends on the actual paths more so than the restrictions.
  • The_Sentry06The_Sentry06 Posts: 7,781 ★★★★★
    Faseeh said:

in at 2.1.1 and without magik it sucks. there's thor rags on energize with global node spite

Doom?
  • ShinobiGuyShinobiGuy Posts: 562 ★★★

I’m gonna finish v7 before v1. It’s not so difficult with a good roster, but there’s so many paths and always some kind of power gain node. It just takes so long to do a path.
  • Kill_GreyKill_Grey Posts: 8,666 ★★★★★
    Berjibs said:

Corkscrew said:

Contact support. They will rearrange your gems for you post rank up so you use the one you want.

For eg I couldn’t use a 2016 gem or whatever it was on iceman as I also had a mutant gem. The year gem was about to expire in overflow.

They made me use the mutant gem then gave it back to me and took the year gem. All happened within a few hours of contacting them. 👌🏽

I'm pretty sure they don't do that anymore.

That's what I was told when I requested anyways.
  • ddomddom Posts: 572 ★★
    Depends on your roster. If you're at the level with a couple of 6 star R3s, it's really not too bad. Still the hardest variant but very manageable.

Though the rewards will probably be really unexciting for you if you have several 6 star R3s
  • BerjibsBerjibs Posts: 1,523 ★★★★
    Kill_Grey said:

Berjibs said:

Corkscrew said:

I'm pretty sure they don't do that anymore.

That's what I was told when I requested anyways.
    Oh, was only a few weeks ago when I did fwiw

ddom said:

Depends on your roster. If you're at the level with a couple of 6 star R3s, it's really not too bad. Still the hardest variant but very manageable.

Though the rewards will probably be really unexciting for you if you have several 6 star R3s

Guess it depends on the person. I have 20 R3s and still love 5* rank up gems. Lets me rank up 5*s I want without having to dip into catalyst resources I'm saving for 6* rankups.
  • Fear_of_Clowns2099Fear_of_Clowns2099 Posts: 892 ★★★
    Alright, so after reading everybody's comments what I understand is that it shouldn't be too difficult now but have some annoying nodes. On a side note, I have most of the 2015 buffed champs ranked up. Mags at r5, Colossus at r5, Magik at r4, HB at r4, etc. Are there any specific champs to rank up for this Variant?

Alright, so after reading everybody's comments what I understand is that it shouldn't be too difficult now but have some annoying nodes. On a side note, I have most of the 2015 buffed champs ranked up. Mags at r5, Colossus at r5, Magik at r4, HB at r4, etc. Are there any specific champs to rank up for this Variant?

I'm sure it's still not easy. Like you said there are still plenty of annoying nodes and defenders. Compared to when it released though, it's much easier for a solid roster
  • ShinobiGuyShinobiGuy Posts: 562 ★★★

Magik is an MVP. Mags is gonna rule since 50% robots. A Medusa will come in handy for that reason too.
  • PulyamanPulyaman Posts: 2,365 ★★★★★

ddom said:

Guess it depends on the person. I have 20 R3s and still love 5* rank up gems. Lets me rank up 5*s I want without having to dip into catalyst resources I'm saving for 6* rankups.
    Why people fight rank up gems I will never know. They are a way to save cats and exceed the inventory limit. Especially when kabam gives out gems for old champs for easy content. Only thing I would add if at all possible is to give some 4 star resources too so that I can rank up some 4 stars to rank 3 and rank 4 without dipping into my t4b stash.