**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Is Variant 1 That Bad?

2»

Comments

• WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★
    Pulyaman said:

ddom said:

Depends on your roster. If you're at the level with a couple of 6 star R3s, it's really not too bad. Still the hardest variant but very manageable.

Though the rewards will probably be really unexciting for you if you have several 6 star R3s

Guess it depends on the person. I have 20 R3s and still love 5* rank up gems. Lets me rank up 5*s I want without having to dip into catalyst resources I'm saving for 6* rankups.
    Why people fight rank up gems I will never know. They are a way to save cats and exceed the inventory limit. Especially when kabam gives out gems for old champs for easy content. Only thing I would add if at all possible is to give some 4 star resources too so that I can rank up some 4 stars to rank 3 and rank 4 without dipping into my t4b stash.
    Yep, I love rankup gems of all types. Would love more 4* gems as well.
  • SwarmOfRavensSwarmOfRavens Posts: 1,264 ★★★★★

Alright, so after reading everybody's comments what I understand is that it shouldn't be too difficult now but have some annoying nodes. On a side note, I have most of the 2015 buffed champs ranked up. Mags at r5, Colossus at r5, Magik at r4, HB at r4, etc. Are there any specific champs to rank up for this Variant?

Do you have thing? He pretty much steamrolls the last two chapters which is where most of the difficulty is
  • Fear_of_Clowns2099Fear_of_Clowns2099 Posts: 892 ★★★

Alright, so after reading everybody's comments what I understand is that it shouldn't be too difficult now but have some annoying nodes. On a side note, I have most of the 2015 buffed champs ranked up. Mags at r5, Colossus at r5, Magik at r4, HB at r4, etc. Are there any specific champs to rank up for this Variant?

Do you have thing? He pretty much steamrolls the last two chapters which is where most of the difficulty is
    Nah, unfortunately no
  • TrashyPandaTrashyPanda Posts: 1,574 ★★★★★
    Not as bad as it used to be due to power escalation.

Still not the easiest variety -- far from it.

Rewards are kinda bad for the effort.
  • CorkscrewCorkscrew Posts: 532 ★★★
    Berjibs said:

Corkscrew said:

I don’t get the fuss about the year-based rank-up gems, I basically see it as a way to rank up champs I wouldn’t want to use catalysts on. For example: Iron Patriot.

My issue with the gems is that sometimes you can't use them because there are other gems in the way that the inventory system forces you to use first. Particularly because I did most of the variants in a semi reverse order.

There are some great buffed older champs now though. Took Crossbones to r4 even before his buff and now it looks like an essentially free r4 on a great champ.
    Contact support. They will rearrange your gems for you post rank up so you use the one you want.

For eg I couldn’t use a 2016 gem or whatever it was on iceman as I also had a mutant gem. The year gem was about to expire in overflow.

They made me use the mutant gem then gave it back to me and took the year gem. All happened within a few hours of contacting them. 👌🏽

Read elsewhere they used to do that and they no longer do it. Since I haven't tried myself... can't verify that is the case.
  • CorkscrewCorkscrew Posts: 532 ★★★
    TRONG94 said:

Kill_Grey said:

Berjibs said:

Corkscrew said:

I don’t get the fuss about the year-based rank-up gems, I basically see it as a way to rank up champs I wouldn’t want to use catalysts on. For example: Iron Patriot.

My issue with the gems is that sometimes you can't use them because there are other gems in the way that the inventory system forces you to use first. Particularly because I did most of the variants in a semi reverse order.

There are some great buffed older champs now though. Took Crossbones to r4 even before his buff and now it looks like an essentially free r4 on a great champ.
    Contact support. They will rearrange your gems for you post rank up so you use the one you want.

For eg I couldn’t use a 2016 gem or whatever it was on iceman as I also had a mutant gem. The year gem was about to expire in overflow.

They made me use the mutant gem then gave it back to me and took the year gem. All happened within a few hours of contacting them. 👌🏽

I'm pretty sure they don't do that anymore.

That's what I was told when I requested anyways.
    Can confirm they still do it. Last week or 2 weeks ago, I needed to use 2017 gem on Medusa and they told me to use cosmic gem first then they would swap one 2017 gem out for it later and they did.
    Ahh nice... I just commented elsewhere I had seen other post they didn't do it. Maybe it depends on which support agent you get.
  • WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★
    Corkscrew said:

TRONG94 said:

Kill_Grey said:

Berjibs said:

Corkscrew said:

I'm pretty sure they don't do that anymore.

That's what I was told when I requested anyways.
    Can confirm they still do it. Last week or 2 weeks ago, I needed to use 2017 gem on Medusa and they told me to use cosmic gem first then they would swap one 2017 gem out for it later and they did.
    Ahh nice... I just commented elsewhere I had seen other post they didn't do it. Maybe it depends on which support agent you get.
    There's not a ton of consistency between responses you can get. It's usually worth opening multiple tickets if you don't get a positive response initially
  • StrategicStrategic Posts: 632 ★★★
    Hi future speaking.
    After just finishing 100% act 6 which I saved for last after 100% act 7 I decided to revisit V1...
    C1 and C2 were reasonable but C3 I must say is still a nightmare even with R3 6*! A nightmare straight from the disgruntled mind of a kabam employee who just got note he's getting axed and decided to screw everyone over by making this abomination!
    So yeah it's still the worst piece of content ever invented and I'm surprised they nerfed act 6 so much but left this trash untouched!
    This is basically what I consider to be end game content today that came out 6 years ago by mistake!
  • GeneralNappaGeneralNappa Posts: 102
    edited August 2022
    Edit: didn't see the date of og thread. Way to necro.

But what I said was, is it worth revisiting now? Probably not as rewards are outdated, I 100% around the time of release. That being said iirc the 2015 3>4 gems are unique in this one, where they don't take gold to rank up, like i said that's iirc.
  • TitoBandito187TitoBandito187 Posts: 2,072 ★★★★
    Would I recommend V1 before any other variant or end game story content - nope, absolutely not. Would I recommend it for someone who just needs something to do and has a good roster and/or expiring items - sure, why not.

The biggest issue for most people, is probably that the rewards stink compared to current content and later variants from 4 on up. I went back and finished exploring V1 when I really had nothing better to do and needed to use energy and/or expiring items. When you have an account that is mostly working towards 6* (heck even a R1 is better than an R4 5* in most cases unless your roster still needs a lot of development) and the 5* rewards usually end up with specific year champs that I couldn't even use because they'd already been ranked up. I pretty much just did it to say I did it (personal accomplishment) and to use up items that needed using or going to waste.

That said, with champs like R3 Corvus, Hercules and CGR, you can blow through a lot of this waaaay easier than when it first came out so it's not too difficult in the grand scheme of things, especially if you have a pretty solid roster now.

Personally, those power gain nodes are pretty dumb - even by today's node standards. However, we have a lot more powerful champs now and the old recommendations still work as good as ever. A good Magik player, someone with Dr. Doom or a talented P2099 player, a Mr. Fantastic (prefight) or Nimrod, should be able to take those power gain nodes without too much issue - even if Dr. Strange on 200% power gain is always a "fun" time. Also, don't forget about champs like Ghost, iceman, Luke Cage and Killmonger who can just tank those SP3's. As long as you're doing the rotations correctly, should be able to handle things without much worry.
  • G-Hun-GearG-Hun-Gear Posts: 1,447 ★★★★
    Which variant would you guys say has the best effort / reward ratio?

I am a cavalier (not going for Thronebreaker any time soon) and when checking the variant requirements, some of them are ridiculous…

For example the Arachnid one: Champs can only be mystic or mutant, but ideally, just because of the nodes on Map 1, you want someone that bleeds the opponent reliably, but also has a hero Tag… Yeah, I don‘t have a strong Wolverine…

So anyway, what‘s your favorite variant from today‘s perspective?