**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Upcoming Side event vs Mutant Treasure Island

I've seen some people in the announcement for the new side event quest saying they didn't like the randomness or comparing it to mutant treasure. I'm going to touch on the randomness debate but I mainly wanted to talk about the comparison to mutant treasure island (for cathartic reasons mostly.)

In my opinion mutant treasure Island was too good of a side event, was too boring and should not be brought back anytime soon.

The rewards were the best we've seen in a long time. You got two five star awakening gem crystals, 6500 six star shards, 22500 five star shards and whatever else you wanted. I didn't even mention the fabulous crystals which gave you a good amount of units. Overall the rewards were good but being so good they easily overshadowed other rewards in the game and set up unrealistic standards.

Also, it let you pinpoint exactly what you needed (especially after they revealed the map) or wanted and let you grab that item after you got a key. It didn't have anything to hold attention or make you think. This months side event had a creative ring mechanic that forced you to pay attention. Some people probably found that annoying but that's what separates the side event from the other content in this game. Mutant treasure island was a bore even though the rewards were good.

The upcoming side event has randomness, which creates suspense and stakes, a way to guarantee 4 paths after completing some criteria, which lets you get resources you need, and even more guaranteed rewards from the objectives. People are complaining about kabam relying too much on RNG when thats a core mechanic of this game. The AI, the crystals, and nodes in the incursions. This side event has guaranteed good rewards plus more rewards from RNG and some of y'all are still mad.

To finish this off I just wanted to throw in some other random thoughts:
-The new arena is better than the old one overall especially if they are accelerating players to uncollected and beyond. It's simple future proofing even if it stings a little right now.
-Help players in the early game. Those tutorials better be top tier because this game is not very friendly to new players.
-The jump in difficulty between act 4 and act 5 is just too much. Maybe add in an act 4.5 to help ease players into act 5.
-Act 7 is great so far.
-Kabam is definitely getting better at understanding and wanting to understand the community.
-I need Iso

Hope everyone has a great day!

Comments

• Options
    DretlleDretlle Posts: 41

The new arena is better for new players?

No its not but players roster will progress faster because of the changes kabam says they will make. I do agree its a bit much right now but it will get easier
  • Options
    TyEdgeTyEdge Posts: 2,965 ★★★★★

The Mutant Treasure Island was amazing and not boring. Most side event quests are fine, the RNG ones are an issue since you can do the entire side event quest without getting any good reward at all (like last month)

This is overblown. One thing Kabam has figured out is that they can increase opportunities to reduce variation. The Jabari event had 7 random drops per run times however many days. Compare that to old rifts with 4-5 reward runs for the month. December had like 18 cavalier crystals. This month has a run per day, plus keys to ensure one reward per level.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    DawsMan said:

I disagree about mutant treasure island. In my mind, it was what a side event is supposed to be. Was it before it's time? For sure (but that was due to a bug so they made it super good). Is it too good to be a side event? Absolutely not. It had selectability, four fights with similar difficulty to this months fights, maybe harder idk.

The thing is, the sidequest needs to be just that - a sidequest. If you have a long quest that costs energy like this month it's a grind and boring, not enjoyable. Mutant treasure island you had to use your keys wisely, enter everyday, and get really solid rewards. Next month is going to be like Namor rifts from 2 years ago. Decent rewards with absolute randomness and a few times that you can actually select what you want. We have lots of RNG in the game to fill the suspense quota.

Another thing, you saying the jump from act 4 to 5 is big? What? It's been that way for years and for begging players with even a half decent amount of skill, it isn't that bad. Players now have such good champions and access to resources the people who completed it before them didn't. The jump in PI and nodes is not significant in Act 5. There is no reason for Kabam to mess up they're entire game for an "Act 4.5". You honestly believe they will take this into consideration and say, "yes you are right. The millions of players who cleared that content were completely lucky and it's just too hard. Lets add a 'half act' to let people slowly introduce themselves to the content.

I agree that Mutant treasure island was before its time and that's why I mentioned that it set unrealistic standards. I don't want another quest to come along and set another unrealistic standard like that one did. I also agree that this months side event questing took too long but I was complimenting the ring system.

Your last paragraph is exactly why I think they need to consider adding an act 4.5 or at least improving the skills of the players before entering act 5. People are getting babied with better and better resources before entering act 5. This means they don't have to rely on skill to clear content and instead can rely on higher star level and rank characters than the content is meant for. I'm simply saying that if kabam wants to get players to uncollected more quickly they should take into consideration the roadblock that transitioning from act 4 to 5 presents and focus more on increasing skill and not giving players better resources.

Edit: Act 5 is where global nodes become a force. They are presented before but they become a much more significant part of the content in act 5
  • Options
    silentagsilentag Posts: 429 ★★★
    edited May 2021
    The way I see it, I don’t see mutant treasure island as an applicable benchmark to compare with. Initially it was going to be a mystery until someone took a path and we could figure out from there. Then it turned out to be bugged and had to operate differently than designed. It gave us a flawed picture of what we can expect because it had to be “fixed,” thus taking the point out of the original design. Does that mean I will refuse guaranteed rewards as opposed to RNG-based, no. But I do think it’s a flawed comparison to try to compare a faulty-designed side quest with anything else going forward. Either way, I do think this design is much improved on the rift design we’ve had previously,’in that we can choose from 4 sets of rewards to target some runs. Honestly, any month that doesn’t have a MODOK lab is a good month to me 🤣
  • Options
    GOTGGOTG Posts: 1,040 ★★★★
    Dretlle said:

The new arena is better for new players?

No its not but players roster will progress faster because of the changes kabam says they will make. I do agree its a bit much right now but it will get easier
    It's not what you said in OP and you have no idea about what you said. It's not good for progressing players not even good for endgame players unless you are willing to grind really hard.

• Options
    GOTGGOTG Posts: 1,040 ★★★★
    Dretlle said:

I've seen some people in the announcement for the new side event quest saying they didn't like the randomness or comparing it to mutant treasure. I'm going to touch on the randomness debate but I mainly wanted to talk about the comparison to mutant treasure island (for cathartic reasons mostly.)

In my opinion mutant treasure Island was too good of a side event, was too boring and should not be brought back anytime soon.

The rewards were the best we've seen in a long time. You got two five star awakening gem crystals, 6500 six star shards, 22500 five star shards and whatever else you wanted. I didn't even mention the fabulous crystals which gave you a good amount of units. Overall the rewards were good but being so good they easily overshadowed other rewards in the game and set up unrealistic standards.

Also, it let you pinpoint exactly what you needed (especially after they revealed the map) or wanted and let you grab that item after you got a key. It didn't have anything to hold attention or make you think. This months side event had a creative ring mechanic that forced you to pay attention. Some people probably found that annoying but that's what separates the side event from the other content in this game. Mutant treasure island was a bore even though the rewards were good.

The upcoming side event has randomness, which creates suspense and stakes, a way to guarantee 4 paths after completing some criteria, which lets you get resources you need, and even more guaranteed rewards from the objectives. People are complaining about kabam relying too much on RNG when thats a core mechanic of this game. The AI, the crystals, and nodes in the incursions. This side event has guaranteed good rewards plus more rewards from RNG and some of y'all are still mad.

-The new arena is better than the old one overall especially if they are accelerating players to uncollected and beyond. It's simple future proofing even if it stings a little right now.
    -Help players in the early game. Those tutorials better be top tier because this game is not very friendly to new players.
    -The jump in difficulty between act 4 and act 5 is just too much. Maybe add in an act 4.5 to help ease players into act 5.
    -Act 7 is great so far.
    -Kabam is definitely getting better at understanding and wanting to understand the community.
    -I need Iso

RNG is the core of the game yes but they try to reduce the randomness through nexus crystal resources selector and so on lol, you state like it's a total success while it's not. Even Kabam knows that they can't dive too much in RNG without facing real problems.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 5,476 ★★★★★
    I find it funny that OP decided to air his grievances at the end of a post about side quests. 😂

Good ole bait and switch.

I agree with two of his points.
  • Options
    CrcrcrcCrcrcrc Posts: 7,940 ★★★★★
    The new arena is terrible, plain and simple
  • Options
    BuggyDClownBuggyDClown Posts: 2,073 ★★★★★
    Dretlle said:

-Act 7 is great so far.
    -I need Iso

Except Arena part I agree.
  • Options
    KerneasKerneas Posts: 3,742 ★★★★★
    To be honest, last month event (Shang Chi) was better than Mutant treasure island(MTI) in some ways. The concept was same - you use items to unlock path with unknown paths. MTI had a set of rewards that were spread randomly and you couldn't tell where is which (until it failed due to Kabam's bug fiesta). Ten ring tournament (TRT) had the rewards in small quests where you could without limits get the rewards.

And the rewards? TRT had an insane amount of 6* shards, I believe 8k? Also a skill 5*, ton of catalysts and so on, not even mentioning fairly easy to access 10% t5cc, since the event gives a ton of revives and potions specifically for that event. MTI had 3k 6* and 15k generic 5* and an AG.

Also the bosses: TRT had no annoyance at all, it was easy as heck, whereas MTI had the dreaded Weapon X, about whom I'd hear daily complaints for the whole month.

Now I admit that when the rewards were unveiled, MTI became quickly very good. But it's not fair to judge event based on a bug that ruined the concept imo. With that logic, the one buggy event that gave you infinite entries was even better.
  • Options
    HoitadoHoitado Posts: 3,707 ★★★★★
    I swear sometimes people want Disagrees
  • Options
    LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★
    I've never had any luck with rifts. Not expecting this version to be any different.
  • Options
    Kerneas said:

And the rewards? TRT had an insane amount of 6* shards, I believe 8k? Also a skill 5*, ton of catalysts and so on, not even mentioning fairly easy to access 10% t5cc, since the event gives a ton of revives and potions specifically for that event. MTI had 3k 6* and 15k generic 5* and an AG.

Also the bosses: TRT had no annoyance at all, it was easy as heck, whereas MTI had the dreaded Weapon X, about whom I'd hear daily complaints for the whole month.

Yeah TRT has better rewards then MTI but I was mainly comparing MTI to the events that surrounded it not specifically the rewards of this month. And MTI had way more six star shards and five star shards then you mentioned idk why you were downplaying that.

You say TRT had no annoyance at all and thats what made it boring outside of the ring system. IMO the most enjoyable, although tough, part of MTI was the weapon X boss. It provided a fun challenge and if people couldn't do it they weren't in the position to get the rewards. I'm not saying a holistically challenging side event like modok's labs is a good thing I'm just saying a little spice in combat is nice.
  • Options
    Hoitado said:

I swear sometimes people want Disagrees

I'm just here to voice my opinion nothing more
  • Options
    Wordunken said:

ı dont agree about treasure island comparison part.
    yeah after seeing the treasure island event it feels bad to see other side events but this comparison are starting to get old.
    ı personally dont expect to get 2 ag every month too.
    ı hate arena personally but lots of players are concerned/angry with arena there has to be some parts of it which are bad dont you think.
    but the main part of this side event problem that gets people angry is randomness.
    we already at edge with 6 star, t5cc rng.
    when you got **** for your luck and banking on some solid rewards on sidequest to try your luck again with some 6 star basics and fought out that its rng based too.
    when you dont get the 6 stars that can pass your like check than your focus shifts to your 5 star counterpart.
    you say to your self 'oh okay f this 6 star pool ı hope sideq got an awakening gem and some nice amount of sig stones added to so ı can max that guy as a 5 star and dont feel that bad hopefully'
    turns out side q got rng rewards system implemented too.

ı realy want to know the incentive for rng based core resource reward system.
    does it give players an adrenaline when playing.
    does it hook players to get in that sq event every month.(posible showing you offers etc and ****, hooking you to the game even more)
    is any one of you acttualy like some random base rewards and what is the things you like about it.

I think the rifts do randomness well, especially this upcoming months iteration. The main part of the event is based on randomness but you have guaranteed rewards and choice too. It's not completely random and even if it was it would still be more interesting then mutant treasure island even if the rewards weren't unveiled from the beginning.
  • Options
    ReferenceReference Posts: 2,899 ★★★★★
    Is it too early to make that comparison? We don’t even play it yet.