**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Not enjoying 7.1

IronGladiator22IronGladiator22 Posts: 1,637 ★★★★
edited September 2021 in General Discussion
I can not express my frustration enough.
I’ve heard so many people talk about how much more fun and enjoyable act 7 is
I’m now on the final quest of chapter 1 and I honestly think this has been the worst chapter experience I’ve ever had. It’s not enjoyable. Some of the node champ combinations are silly annoying, and the nodes and payoff dosn’t feel good. There are plenty of moments in each chapter of act 6 I can look back on in fondness, but so far this chapter has just kind of been a bore.

Comments

• TheAngryOneTheAngryOne Posts: 436 ★★★
    Her name is Ice Phoenix for a reason
  • IronGladiator22IronGladiator22 Posts: 1,637 ★★★★

Sounds like you weren't prepared.

I'll say that you should always check some YouTube video or read up on the easy path and boss counters.

Ice Phoenix was a killer boss 3 years back, now there's so many counters.

Act 7 is not easier per se but is much more enjoyable than act 6.

Alright I may have misread that. My fault. But so far, I’ve had more fun, interesting and challenging content from act 6 that I’ve enjoyed from every chapter. This chapter has had 0 moments I can look back on in enjoyment. For me it’s mostly been a slog with some stupid roadblocks along the way
  • The_Sentry06The_Sentry06 Posts: 7,781 ★★★★★
    Use a coldsnap immune/resistant/debuff shrugging champion?
    edited September 2021

I think the love of Act 7 is multiplied by the hate of Act 6. Especially pre-nerf Act 6. Enjoying Act 6 definitely makes you an odd duck. Not a bad thing, we like those here.

So uh, out of curiosity, what parts of Act 6 did you enjoy? What parts of Act 7 did you dislike?

I do want to preface this with the fact that I may have just needed a place to vent, and I'm pretty tired.
    7.1 for me has mostly just felt like a punching bag. Especially some of the bosses. A node variation that I noticed used a lot here was every time the attacker performs x, they gain a charge. If they have y amount of charges, z happens. Z usually being some kind of damage dealt back, or regen for the defender. These nodes feel a little lazy and boring for me. These nodes are also usually the core of the path/boss, so you’re just left to punch the boss, while throwing in heavy’s or waiting for the node.

In act 6, one thing I really enjoyed was the bosses. (I completed act 6.2-6.4 post nerf). The bosses were always pretty unique and had plenty of different unique interactions to discover. Sure there were times where I was frustrated at a boss, but the nodes and styles of play made it pretty enjoyable for most of them. Off the top of my head, I remember having a blast against the champion with sorcerer supreme, act 6.4 CMM with doom, grandmaster and CAPIW with Hitmonkey, and a few opponents like IMIW whom magneto dealt with well, Crossbones, etc. Act 6 also had this climactic feel to it, which added to the hype and the want to continue.

That’s just for starters. Let me know if there’s anything else you want to know
    Kerneas said:

I am actually curious: what fond memories do you have about Act 6? Because I don't have any.

I feel like Act 7 has higher enemy PI, health etc., then it takes Act 6 nodes and adds a counternode, that rewards your skills. For example Do Not Go Gentle+Foresight. (7.1.5) DNGG forces you to heavy or intercept. Foresight gives you 200% fury whenever you intercept. So, if you play skillfully and intercept a lot, you will be dealing 3x your damage and defeat the enemy quickly. Act 6 would just throw in DNGG, some nodes to enhance the given champ and bye bye, f u summonner, deal w it.

Don’t worry there’s somewhat of an explanation coming. I tried to edit my grammar and got the “your comment will appear once approved.” In the meantime, I took down Spider Witch and pulled 6* doc ock, and mutant t5cc and rank up gem. Gem will probably go to bishop if I decide I don’t want to wait.
  • RookiieRookiie Posts: 4,769 ★★★★★

I think the love of Act 7 is multiplied by the hate of Act 6. Especially pre-nerf Act 6. Enjoying Act 6 definitely makes you an odd duck. Not a bad thing, we like those here.

So uh, out of curiosity, what parts of Act 6 did you enjoy? What parts of Act 7 did you dislike?

Not really. There are so many players that enjoyed pre-nerf Act 6 over Act 7.
    Most notably @danielmath @xNig @Worknprogress @BeroMan I think @Lvernon15 too. And I am certain that they know others too.
  • Lvernon15Lvernon15 Posts: 11,596 ★★★★★
    Rookiie said:

Most notably @danielmath @xNig @Worknprogress @BeroMan I think @Lvernon15 too. And I am certain that they know others too.
    To be fair my act 7 experience was limited since I went for legends runs in both chapters so didn’t really end up playing many of the nodes and just ghosted through, but it’s still very likely I’d prefer act 6 over it
  • ccrider474ccrider474 Posts: 650 ★★★

wow this guy has to be the only person who struggled with act 7.1 . a lil word of advuce dont go into 7.2 its a smidgen harder but if yu didnt like 7.1 your gonna hate 7.2

Nah I know a couple who don't like it. Tbf their rosters are smaller so harder to get the bonus boosts for them.

Me personally I find act 6 more memorable. Working out how to beat whoever on a certain node gets me thinking where as 7, I didn't think a lot just quick glance take x next lane.

I enjoyed act 7 more than 6 that is for sure but nothing of note was hard and that's the stuff I tend to remember. 1st time beating prenerf champion took me like 100 restarts to work him out but once I did he wasn't bad. That trying over and over with randoms till I worked him out made it meaningful and I remember him. I didn't have to do that in act 7 so far for anyone so I don't remember it that well. That's says alot as it is newer and I would have to look at maps to recall any fight.

I would like a couple bosses or fights of pre nerf act 6 stuff but never want whole lanes of the nonsense they created there either.
  • Hrishikesh713Hrishikesh713 Posts: 712 ★★★
    Just take a step back...devlope your roaster ans then come back...act 7 is really fun content
  • xNigxNig Posts: 7,248 ★★★★★
    Rookiie said:

The thought process to go through A6 was a lot more than A7.

After I did my legends run on my main, I took my time and played through A7.1-2 on my alt. It was fun, but not challenging imo. It was more of “use X and it won’t be an issue”. Whereas for A6, it was “use X and if you play badly it’ll still be a problem”.
  • BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★

I think the love of Act 7 is multiplied by the hate of Act 6. Especially pre-nerf Act 6.

I mean, I enjoyed pre nerf act 6 a lot, it made me a much better player. But I also enjoyed act 7 a lot.

But I liked them for different reasons, and I enjoyed them for different reasons.
  • No_oneukNo_oneuk Posts: 1,430 ★★★★★
    roadblocks in act 7 but fun fights in act 6?

are you sure you learned your numbers correctly?
  • KerneasKerneas Posts: 3,739 ★★★★★

I do want to preface this with the fact that I may have just needed a place to vent, and I'm pretty tired.
    7.1 for me has mostly just felt like a punching bag. Especially some of the bosses. A node variation that I noticed used a lot here was every time the attacker performs x, they gain a charge. If they have y amount of charges, z happens. Z usually being some kind of damage dealt back, or regen for the defender. These nodes feel a little lazy and boring for me. These nodes are also usually the core of the path/boss, so you’re just left to punch the boss, while throwing in heavy’s or waiting for the node.

In act 6, one thing I really enjoyed was the bosses. (I completed act 6.2-6.4 post nerf). The bosses were always pretty unique and had plenty of different unique interactions to discover. Sure there were times where I was frustrated at a boss, but the nodes and styles of play made it pretty enjoyable for most of them. Off the top of my head, I remember having a blast against the champion with sorcerer supreme, act 6.4 CMM with doom, grandmaster and CAPIW with Hitmonkey, and a few opponents like IMIW whom magneto dealt with well, Crossbones, etc. Act 6 also had this climactic feel to it, which added to the hype and the want to continue.

I suppose this is what you meant before.

You have got a point about the charges system, however you don't mention that quite often there is also a node that benefits you as a player. Some attack bonus, some regen, crit etc. If you play in a specific way, with a correct class or something in that direction, you get rewarded.

I feel like Act 6 is still the same punching bag. Parry, intercept, MLLLM, still the same. If there is a challenge, you need to have a champion to counter it. For example the 6.3.6 CAIW you mentioned. He has Crit me with your best shot and Destructive Feedback, right? Well, if you don't have a high critrate champion, this instantly becomes hellish. I for ex had just Domino, who doesn't reliably crit. That fight was bad for me.

Act 7 tries to not require a specific champ. There are obstacles that you have to overcome either by bringing in a correct champ class or by modifying your gameplay. Or by doing both. That's what people like: if you ignore the rules, it is stupid and difficult. If you follow them, you not only overcome the obstacle, but you are also rewarded with some boost.

Act 6 poses a challenge you need specific champs to just overcome.

Act 7 poses a challenge you need to overcome with playstyle or champ class. If you do so, you get a rewarding boost
  • Hilbert_unbeatable2Hilbert_unbeatable2 Posts: 804 ★★★
    If u want to feel act 7 but unable to do so run act 6 once more, expirence the pain and come back to act 7. Act 6 will also train you to read nodes, very helpful stuff since act 7 has nodes that benifit the player if used well.

I just completed 7.2 today and in bosses of act 7 my most favourite was platinum pool boss with using doom.

juiced gwenmaster was ton of fun (didn't watch gwenmaster tutorial properly and cuz of that wasn't even able to surpass emma frost phase but juiced saved me) after failing that phase ate gwenmaster sp2 degen but then I was able to stun chain her in corner using Ultron (after failing to finish emma phase again but she didn't active sp2 for some reason). Was real fun

Nova boss was fun too.

The best part of 7.2-> superiority nodes and debuff synthesis

Doom was great at 7.2.6 mix master lane with stun/armour break debuff synthesis along with mr fantastic synergy.

In 7.1 had fun using mags against punishing angela and gwenperion
    Venom boss and hela boss was absolute cheese with my 5* max sig doom, heavy spamming in corner.

I didn’t struggle with 7.1 per se, there was just one or two fights that were painfully slow
  • TyEdgeTyEdge Posts: 2,965 ★★★★★
    If you can’t handle 6 fights with 5 champs, maybe just do something else?
    edited September 2021
    Another point for my main argument is that none of the bosses weren’t very memorable to me. I had a lot of fun coming up with counters for the paths and getting to the bosses, but now It’s just gotten a little boring and either slow, or too quick.
    2nd of all, I was pretty tired and stressed making my first post. The fights weren’t hard. Just not very fun to do/overcome
    edited September 2021
    Kerneas said:

You have got a point about the charges system, however you don't mention that quite often there is also a node that benefits you as a player. Some attack bonus, some regen, crit etc. If you play in a specific way, with a correct class or something in that direction, you get rewarded.

I feel like Act 6 is still the same punching bag. Parry, intercept, MLLLM, still the same. If there is a challenge, you need to have a champion to counter it. For example the 6.3.6 CAIW you mentioned. He has Crit me with your best shot and Destructive Feedback, right? Well, if you don't have a high critrate champion, this instantly becomes hellish. I for ex had just Domino, who doesn't reliably crit. That fight was bad for me.

Act 7 tries to not require a specific champ. There are obstacles that you have to overcome either by bringing in a correct champ class or by modifying your gameplay. Or by doing both. That's what people like: if you ignore the rules, it is stupid and difficult. If you follow them, you not only overcome the obstacle, but you are also rewarded with some boost.

Act 7 poses a challenge you need to overcome with playstyle or champ class. If you do so, you get a rewarding boost
    I see your point. I also struggled with some of the bosses and nodes, and yeah I was annoyed at the time, but overcoming then felt great. I guess my main problem is that it doesn’t present that type of challenge I wanted/was expecting from act 7 after act 6. There is nothing here to really stop and think too hard about. It’s like what others people have said, easy. The boosts that attackers get are a cool change, but on some paths they didn’t change my experience too much. Some people may have enjoyed it as a breath of fresh air, but I was hoping for something a little more difficult.
    I would also say that it get kind of like a variant or event quest. They were set up in the same type of way. You have one or two restricting nodes, and some helpful nodes. I find these a better example of this kind of content (variants especially, because you have to use an already smaller champ pool to overcome unique obstacles. Basically what I’m saying, is if I was designing a story quest, I’d have it be more akin to act 6. Just to streamline story content and really make it feel challenging and unique.

I’d love to hear your thoughts on this @Kerneas
  • KerneasKerneas Posts: 3,739 ★★★★★

Kerneas said:

I see your point. I also struggled with some of the bosses and nodes, and yeah I was annoyed at the time, but overcoming then felt great. I guess my main problem is that it doesn’t present that type of challenge I wanted/was expecting from act 7 after act 6. There is nothing here to really stop and think too hard about. It’s like what others people have said, easy. The boosts that attackers get are a cool change, but on some paths they didn’t change my experience too much. Some people may have enjoyed it as a breath of fresh air, but I was hoping for something a little more difficult.
    I would also say that it get kind of like a variant or event quest. They were set up in the same type of way. You have one or two restricting nodes, and some helpful nodes. I find these a better example of this kind of content (variants especially, because you have to use an already smaller champ pool to overcome unique obstacles. Basically what I’m saying, is if I was designing a story quest, I’d have it be more akin to act 6. Just to streamline story content and really make it feel challenging and unique.

I’d love to hear your thoughts on this @Kerneas
    Well, it now comes down to personal impressions. I enjoyed Act 6 as the pinnacle of story up to the big end of Book 1. Act 7 is Book 2, so Kabam decided to change their approach. Paths were reduced to 6 fights, we have now the choice of 3 bosses and nodes are now supposed to help people. I like it, but I also understand if you don't. You can't really take it as the continuation of Act 6, this is a separate "Book". Also storywise - Acts 1-6 are about Dictators, struggling for power (Kang, Maestro, Collector, Grandmaster), and they are all eventually defeated. Act 7 is when Carina gets hold of the ISO-sphere and tries to rebuild the contest in a more people-friendly way. A new beginning. And imo Act 7 reflects that pretty well. And if you miss some "big bossfight", hop on to 7.2, the final Gwenmaster is very very good fight, well designed. I can only recommend.

Your parallel with Variants also came to my mind and it is true that this is similar, but that is because many players like Variants. They are fun. And at the end of Act 6, Kabam had to decide how to crank up the difficulty. Instead of inflating healthpools and attack values to insanity, they chose to create challenge that isn't based on frustrating hours of punching, but on gameplay skills and knowledge of the game. And I have to say that they managed quite well. The new enemies are dangerous, have difficult nodes, but with skill, they fall fast.

Also, Act 7 is designed with exploration in mind. Let's be honest, how likely is it for you to return to Act 6 for exploration? I myself wanna never set a foot back there. Call me weak, but I'll never have good enough roster to explore 6.4. Act 7 on the other hand seems doable. There are only handful of paths and each has its own challenge. That makes completion easy, because you can pick the easiest one, but also the exploration doesn't seem too rough.
  • Agent_X_zzzAgent_X_zzz Posts: 4,494 ★★★★★
    There are many guides out there, malreck posted mine earlier. But here is an infographic I worked on with MCOC noob and a few other great gentlemen,

• LpooLpoo Posts: 2,215 ★★★★★
    There’s a YouTuber who gives a path by path rundown. Just search on google and the video will pop up. Also, 7.1 was a breath of fresh air after act 6. Not necessarily easier, but it felt like a huge step in the right direction by Kabam