**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

The 2021 Gift is definitively inferior to the one given in 2020

IllusionaryIllusionary Posts: 43
edited December 2021 in Suggestions and Requests
Hi, so now that I've attracted your attention with the title, let's have a discussion. Before you judge me as being 'ungrateful', please do me a favour and at the very least skim the points I've written out below. You can choose to ignore this next part as I know taking someone for their word is risky, but please do believe that I am normally the last to complain about free stuff. Thanks so much, I hope my grievances make more sense given the points listed below.

Alright, so for starters, let's evaluate the gift specifically compared to past years. This year, the gift was 20 6* sig stone crystals and a 6* nexus. Last year, the gift was 20 6* sig stone crystals, a 1-2 rank up gem crystal, and 10% of a T5CC. Frankly, I'd argue for later TBs that the gift last year was superior, as we no longer need to build out our 6* rosters nearly as much, and would frankly prefer the guaranteed value of a rank up gem. Just for the sake of it however, let's run with the very generous assumption that a basic nexus is a bit better than a class 1-2 gem. Given how much the game has progressed in the past year, how has the package either only gotten very slightly better, or has even gotten worse?

Additionally, let's talk about the fact that this year, the gift does not guarantee value, instead being very RNG based. In past years, nearly every package has offered guaranteed value, even if not immediate. 2020's 1-2 class gem may not have offered immediate value if you didn't get a class you wanted, but still offers the guaranteed value of 3 T5B, 7 T4B, 7 T4CC, and 7 T2A. 2019 gave Cavaliers a 5* generic AG, so guaranteed immediate or long-term value out of that. 2018 gave a 5* AG crystal, more guaranteed value. In summary, this is the first year where the gift hasn't guaranteed value, and so has the potential to leave people justifiably disappointed in both the short and long-term, which is poor form considering this is a Christmas/Holiday gift.

Next, let's focus more on how the package has failed to scale with the advancement of the game economy. Frankly, all I would need to say is "look at the Gifting rewards change from last year to this year, now look at the package change from last year to this year and consider the discrepancy", but I'll talk about something else as well. I propose we estimate the rough monetary value of the gift from year to year, as this should very clearly reveal to us whether or not the package has progressed appropriately. Y'know what, let's be as generous as possible and base the valuation of the 6* nexus off of CW 2020, which is a $30 valuation as the $30 offer contained a 6* nexus and a t5b, the closest we'll get to an offer containing only the crystal itself. Keep in mind, the 6* nexus is likely worth even less now considering how easy to obtain they have become from easy content like A7, content that was released after the aforementioned offer. From the 2020 package, the value of the 10% T5CC crystal was likely $30 as well, considering that from the same 2020 CW we used to estimate the value of the 6* nexus, there are 4x 2% crystals in the $10 offer, and a 5% selector in the $50 offer. As the value of a 1-2 gem is fairly hard to approximate, let's just acknowledge that the 2020 gift has already matched the value of the 2021 gift from its T5CC alone, even though the 2021 package should have an advantage as we're basing it off of a year ago when it was far more rare, while the 2020 package came out a mere month after that valuation. So in summary, we've proven that the monetary value of the package has decreased considerably since last year, meaning it has not scaled with the advancement of MCoC.

Now, I know many of you will ignore all of the above and simply respond that we should be grateful Kabam gave us anything, but I say they kinda had to give us something. They've set a precedent of giving a holiday gift for the last 4 years at a minimum, not doing so this year would lead to massive backlash. Kabam clearly have become more backlash-avoidant over the last 2 years, hence why problem champions like Quake and Ghost haven't been outright nerfed as other champs were way back in the 12.0 update. Thus, we can say that Kabam will do nearly whatever it takes to avoid massive backlash, including jeopardise the health of their game by not nerfing Ghost and Quake, so it stands to reason that they would consider an annual holiday gift to be necessary at this point.

Thanks for reading all of this, to those few of you that did. I appreciate your consideration of my points, and hope we can have a civil discussion throughout the rest of this thread.
Post edited by Kabam Loto on

Comments

• IllusionaryIllusionary Posts: 43
    Starhawk said:

Part of the problem is Cav players got a better gift than TB which makes no sense

I was tempted to say this, but the 20 6 star sig stones, even if random, juuust tip the scale over to TB being better imo.
  • AMS94AMS94 Posts: 1,776 ★★★★★
    I'm not gonna read all of that but I absolutely agree with the title
    The gift is definitely inferior to 2020 one & anyone who feels otherwise has no sense about the game economy
  • PapaMidnite007PapaMidnite007 Posts: 1,622 ★★★★
    edited December 2021
    I have to disagree with Ghost and Quake being op unlike scarlet witch pre 12.0 both of them require lot of skill and practice to master and thats how kabam intended them to be to answer your statement. And they are the high risk high reward type of champs. Scarlet witch and og thor on the other hand were easy to play and it was just too effortless to rinse content with them you didnt need any skill.But Ghost and Quake they require skill and focus to play small slips and you die they cant withstand too many hits. I do understand the rest of your points you put it well in words.
    edited December 2021

I have to disagree with Ghost and Quake being op unlike scarlet witch pre 12.0 both of them require lot of skill and practice to master and thats how kabam intended them to be to answer your statement. And they are the high risk high reward type of champs. Scarlet witch and og thor on the other hand were easy to play and it was just too effortless to rinse content with them you didnt need any skill.But Ghost and Quake they require skill and focus to play small slips and you die they cant withstand too many hits. I do understand the rest of your points you put it well in words.

While OG Thor and SW were far easier to play, I feel that the community overestimates the difficulty in playing Ghost and Quake. I personally have both of them, and while they take some skill, once you've learned them (which doesn't take that long), their difficulty to effectiveness ratio is extremely skewed.
    Lovejoy72 said:

I suppose.

But I would consider a few things:

Nothing they add to the game is in a vacuum. If they put more in the gifting crystals and in the anniversary calendar, putting more in the gift doesn’t offset that, it exacerbates it. A “blowback wary” company isn’t going to set a pace they can’t sustain going forward.

As happened with the anniversary, they can increase curtesy rewards in one system without increasing them in all. IE they can buff a calendar and milestones and completely omit a gift, and the rewards are still better. People may struggle to understand that, but it’s still true. If gifting crystals are substantially better, maybe increasing the single gift wasn’t a priority.

Sometimes it may be difficult to understand how a group will value a gift. Some people would take those sig stones over almost anything. And given some folks struggle to understand that this calendar is actually better than last years, my faith wanes on the communities discernment.

Is the gift better? Maybe not for everyone. Are the total rewards in this December better than last year? I think so.

Actually, this is something else I've been looking at and gathering evidence on. In all honesty, I plan to make a far more detailed video on this topic going over more points, and being a look-over of this month overall.

Interestingly enough, a lot of the conclusions you have come to involve the same arguments I have followed, but to the opposite conclusion. I'll share more on this once my video script is more polished, but I very much appreciate your points here and you've given me some nuance to consider.
  • Lovejoy72Lovejoy72 Posts: 1,858 ★★★★

Lovejoy72 said:

I suppose.

Nothing they add to the game is in a vacuum. If they put more in the gifting crystals and in the anniversary calendar, putting more in the gift doesn’t offset that, it exacerbates it. A “blowback wary” company isn’t going to set a pace they can’t sustain going forward.

As happened with the anniversary, they can increase curtesy rewards in one system without increasing them in all. IE they can buff a calendar and milestones and completely omit a gift, and the rewards are still better. People may struggle to understand that, but it’s still true. If gifting crystals are substantially better, maybe increasing the single gift wasn’t a priority.

Sometimes it may be difficult to understand how a group will value a gift. Some people would take those sig stones over almost anything. And given some folks struggle to understand that this calendar is actually better than last years, my faith wanes on the communities discernment.

Is the gift better? Maybe not for everyone. Are the total rewards in this December better than last year? I think so.

Actually, this is something else I've been looking at and gathering evidence on. In all honesty, I plan to make a far more detailed video on this topic going over more points, and being a look-over of this month overall.

Interestingly enough, a lot of the conclusions you have come to involve the same arguments I have followed, but to the opposite conclusion. I'll share more on this once my video script is more polished, but I very much appreciate your points here and you've given me some nuance to consider.
    Tag me in that post please, I’m interested.
  • NuclekerrNuclekerr Posts: 194
    Be grateful for free things and not entitled please. In the the end this is just a game.
    Lovejoy72 said:

Lovejoy72 said:

I suppose.

Tag me in that post please, I’m interested.
    Definitely will do, thanks!
  • NewlinstheoryNewlinstheory Posts: 1,012 ★★★★
    Yeah ngl, wish i also got a r1-2 gem
  • NewlinstheoryNewlinstheory Posts: 1,012 ★★★★
    Markjv81 said:

Anyone who pulls a good 6* will say this years better, anyone who pulls rubbish will say last year better.

IMO last years was better.

I mean last would still be considered better just because we got some more things, while this year they took couple things away(idk why hey what can we do lol)
  • ShadowstrikeShadowstrike Posts: 3,088 ★★★★★
    So as we can see they have not close this threat down but they did edit quite a bit of it. So fair warning people your words have consequences

So as we can see they have not close this threat down but they did edit quite a bit of it. So fair warning people your words have consequences

^^^
  • DestinyPoloDestinyPolo Posts: 65

I won't talk about the situation that occurred here between players. But I will point out one thing,I don't know which month it is but a couple of events ago we got a generic 1-2 rank up gem for free from that event. So as thronebreaker myself I find that the 6* nexus is better since at that level getting a 6* to r2 isn't a problem resources wise since we get a lot of those at base. So from MY PERSPECTIVE a 6* nexus is better as F2P players don't get those as often so it does help since we can never truly have enough 6* champs so it does offer value since it's not just a normal 6* it offers a choice of 3. That's my perspective so if you disagree that's fine.

Agreed, I’m thronebreaker and I’m not going to lie getting the resources to rank 2 one 6* is not difficult - particularly with the glory store. My 6* roster is pretty nice but I’m still looking to flesh it out, even just for arena, and a 6* nexus gives me a much better shot at that then just a rank up Crystal.

• Horror_punkHorror_punk Posts: 1,053 ★★★★
    The reward should be rank 2-3 6* gem or crystal for TB players
    Nexus crystals are rng based which shouldn’t be there in a gift. Someone might be just getting isos only and someone picking up groot just for sake of new champ.
  • SquirrelguySquirrelguy Posts: 2,630 ★★★★★
    edited December 2021
    Also, everyone is complaining about not liking RNG and wanting a gem, but the nexus 6* still offers a good amount of choice even compared to a year and a half ago. Yea it is rng, but so are most of the rewards in the game. Other than the Abyss nexus, this is one of the better “choice” options you can have in terms of champion rewards. It’s not gamebreaking or crazy, but is reasonable for a gift and still useful for TB players.

Personally, I will always prefer the chance at more champions than rank up rewards. To each his own.
  • Forgotten2Forgotten2 Posts: 172 ★★
    It's a free holiday gift. What better clear content