**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

MCOC “Pro-league”?

TP33TP33 Posts: 1,577 ★★★★
So with the summoner showdown a while ago a large consensus from that was, despite the specific way the tournament was run (at least ya boi maw got some love), the idea of putting top level players against each other in a competitive setting was quite cool and something that definitely isn’t new to gaming but engages the community much more.

why do i think this would be a good idea?

four reasons really

1. moneys. lots of games with pro league or competitive scenes make lots of money from advertising, ticket sales etc with esports alone being a multi-million (if not billion) industry. think of all the extra downloads/hype around the game whilst a big event would be on, additionally kabam could do something like R6 and maybe sell cav crystal bundles with champions selected by well known teams giving a proportion of profits to the teams themselves.

2. general game hype. let’s be real the community is finding itself further divided, not only in UC players not liking cavs for XYZ and cavs hating TBs for XYZ (not to mention all the input issues recently), but also with kabam and the general community. an esports scene would allow kabam to engage with players and most importantly teams, who like the members of the CCP would voice the opinions of the community and create a better dev/player dynamic

3. champion balancing. part of that team/dev communication could lead to some champion balancing. i mean look at the new direction kabam are taking with champion addition with all these trial periods etc. a competitive esports scene will bring certain champion imbalancies to the limelight and can help kabam with not only nerfs but buffs as well.

4. the current “competitive” scene is SUPER pay to win. i have no issue with paying players, however as BG has recently highlighted the current “top level” of play is basically dependant on what you spend. you can have all the skill in the world but ultimately if you’re not willing to regularly spend on this game you have slim chances of keeping up with the high level META. which is what an esports league would fix, as the teams would be based on skill and knowledge not spending ability. (and they would be able to financially support kabam with all the ads/cav sales etc.)

what would i make it look like?

definitely a team based event, most esports teams are teams of 4/5 so i’d say 5.

have a special war map with 15 fights and no energy cost. no attack or defense tactics. each team gets to ban 3 defenders and 3 attackers before a round begins. the players are then given 50 random champions (both teams get identical sets) and 10 minutes to place. this would test the ability of the players to play on the spot and would be fair as each team gets an equal advantage/disadvantage. it would test game knowledge but also not limit certain strategies, teams can still consider “if we get X champ we will place them on Y node next to Z other champ” but won’t be able to form a stagnant “meta” as such, keeping each game interesting. the nodes are set, different events can have different nodes with certain themes as such but you don’t want too much randomisation as you could end up with combos like Do you bleed Korg or similar.

the teams can then bring 3 attackers each and get a set of 50 random champs to choose from, however if one player selects champion X that champion is locked for all other players. (meaning everyone has a different team) they get 15 minutes to sort out attackers and view their opponents defense before the round begins. essentially scoring is done like war with deaths taking away points and wins gaining points.

in an esports context i feel like fight duration being a deciding factor, especially when both teams have the exact same potential as each other, is fair, as at that stage it tests nothing more then “how efficiently can you win” rather then in normal war where it can seem more “have you spent enough on your AW defense?”

how would teams be picked?

i’m not entirely sure, it may be interesting if different content creators help get teams started, for example an MSD team vs a Swedeah team, with creators picking out people who’s skills they see potential in (this would build hype for sure) or kabam could reach out to existing well known esports teams to see if they are interested. (personally i prefer the content creator idea however i can see some opposition to this as defeating the purpose of “anyone can make a team and play”, however i wouldn’t limit it to only the big teams)

what would a yearly pro-league season look like?

i’m thinking there a big invitational event with the top 10 odd teams once a year for the big event, and then every couple of months run regional tournaments to allow smaller teams to come up and have a shot. maybe have some themed events in the year, or host them alongside big movie releases. events coinciding with big movies could have a spin where both teams are guaranteed that champion (obvs wouldn’t be bannable) and are able to have some fun with them on attack and defense.

my message to kabam

honestly there’s so much potential with a game as wide as MCOC to have an esports team and the recent relative successes of the summoner showdowns at least in attracting an audience and proving that people would be interested in seeing this, and having a lucrative high level scene would be not only good for business but good for the rapidly demoralising player base too

Comments

• ChikelChikel Posts: 2,056 ★★★★
    This is an interesting idea but I don't know how much say Marvel has in it. I can't think of any Marvel game with an eSports presence.

Also I have a question: What's the beef between you and capitalization?
  • TP33TP33 Posts: 1,577 ★★★★
    edited February 2022
    Chikel said:

This is an interesting idea but I don't know how much say Marvel has in it. I can't think of any Marvel game with an eSports presence.

it’s turned off on my phone and i’m lazy pretty much

also marvel would have a say iv it for sure but there have been other marvel games with esports scenes (marvel vs capcom live i think) and let’s be real marvel aren’t the sort of company to say no to potentially loads of free marketing (and probably a portion of the funds)
  • ChikelChikel Posts: 2,056 ★★★★
    TP33 said:

Chikel said:

it’s turned off on my phone and i’m lazy pretty much

also marvel would have a say iv it for sure but there have been other marvel games with esports scenes (marvel vs capcom live i think) and let’s be real marvel aren’t the sort of company to say no to potentially loads of free marketing (and probably a portion of the funds)
    Why not turn it on? It takes like a few seconds. It makes your writing much more presentable and mature that way people are much more likely to read it and take you serious.

If it's not on Marvel, it's probably on Kabam then. They have probably done the maths and concluded that the effort of organizing eSports events aren't worth it when similar efforts into the main game would yield more money.

It can also be corporate inertia. MCOC was developed at a time when eSports was not a big business, perhaps they just don't want to change how they do things. If you have noticed, MCOC doesn't change as much as other games. Take a few seasons off of COD Mobile and you will barely recognize the game when you return. On the other hande, I took 7 months off MCOC and nothing confused me when I returned.
  • Wildblue333Wildblue333 Posts: 403 ★★
    They did the summoner's challenge up in NYC. what else do you want to see?