Options

Why are there no in game characters in a dress or tunic?

Jeremy3186Jeremy3186 Posts: 308 ★★★
As some know.. I collect MCOC action figures that I have displayed on a book shelf (check my history if you'd like to see the collection).... I've added Gorr and Valkyrie this month, but then noticed Gorr in game doesn't match either the figure or the on screen character.

In MCOC Gorr is wearing pants... you can see the top of his tunic properly drawn in by Kabam.. but then it oddly turns into normal pants below his belt. I know this doesn't matter to most, but as someone who collects figures based on the game, I'd like them to be as accurate as possible (I know I know, nerd stuff)...

This made me curious.. is there a single character in the game that has a tunic or dress at all? Surely there has to be some female in a dress... someone like Mordo or Wong has to have their Tunic's rendered fully right? Nope lol..... the closest we have in the game are split tunics that allow them to cheat a separation for full animation...

IE.. I don't think Kabam can animate characters unless their legs have separation. I've been playing this game since 2015... I had zero clue on this lol..... did anyone else?

Now please proceed to either call me an idiot for not already knowing this or dumb for even caring haha

Comments

• Options
    winterthurwinterthur Posts: 7,849 ★★★★★
    Hard to find.

• Options
    ShiroiharaShiroihara Posts: 1,092 ★★★★
    After voting Herc from the beginning I was gutted when they first showed us the first look of the champ. That man bun, dude…
    Must be the animator’s choice though when there are other champs that are so richly designed and exquisitely animated, e.g. BWCV & Sunspot
  • Options
    World EaterWorld Eater Posts: 3,579 ★★★★★

• Options
    SkyLord7000SkyLord7000 Posts: 3,999 ★★★★★
    A dress is the last thing anyone should where to combat. That champ would trip over themselves walk in!
  • Options
    Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Posts: 7,188 ★★★★★

A dress is the last thing anyone should where to combat. That champ would trip over themselves walk in!

Makes sense.
  • Options
    SquirrelguySquirrelguy Posts: 2,645 ★★★★★
    This probably isn't why, I assume that it has to do with animations be easier, but here is a reason that I prefer them not to: it is typically easier to track movement visually if their leg are separate. Kicks, preparing to dash forward, and separate moves might be more difficult to anticipate if you didn't see minute tells of when a character is preparing to do something. It also makes it easier if everyone in game has roughly the same basic shape (eg. separate visible legs) so that you don't have to track their whole body but your mind can simplify them into a basic ball-stick model being. Just a theory though.

You'll notice that we never got a playable version of characters like Lockjaw because I imagine that both it would be harder to animate, and possibly a lot harder to fight.
  • Options
    Qwerty12345Qwerty12345 Posts: 773 ★★★
    a long dress would make for some real PITA to do a proper kick. Fighting outfits should be more about function.
  • Options
    GrassKnucklesGrassKnuckles Posts: 1,924 ★★★★★
    Who cares?
  • Options
    SuelGamesSuelGames Posts: 942 ★★★

Who cares?

this
  • Options
    Skiddy212Skiddy212 Posts: 1,101 ★★★★
    SuelGames said:

Who cares?

this
    This^ an the difficulty of dealing with a flowing piece of champion on mobile....
  • Options
    Sundance_2099Sundance_2099 Posts: 2,831 ★★★★★
    why'd my comment get deleted? All I did was point out Kamala's costume is based on a burkini. It's LITERALLY in the comics!
  • Options
    FiiNCHFiiNCH Posts: 1,664 ★★★★★
    I always thought this needed addressing
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,714 Guardian
    Mauled said:

I presume animation must be a part of it, maybe it’s difficult to predict how the legs/robes would ride up/bunch when doing kicking actions which is what a lot of the heavy attacks seem to be built around.

The animations in the game have to be either hand crafted or physics driven. Things like dresses probably create all sorts of problems in both cases. Hand crafted animations have to anticipate all sorts of interactions across hundreds of champions and actions. And while physics can attempt to do this automatically, it tends to be subject to all sorts of strange clipping and occultation errors. Plus, driving dresses with physics would be computationally expensive, for a game that already has issues running smoothly consistently.

I suspect the complexity cost is deemed too high for too little return.
  • Options
    Hammerbro_64Hammerbro_64 Posts: 7,463 ★★★★★
    FiiNCH said:

I always thought this needed addressing

I appreciate the pun