War season disappointment

JohnnyBeastJohnnyBeast Member Posts: 59
Let me start this by saying I’m aware nothing will change. I am just here to express my frustrations at the current war season and how it has affected my personal alliance. I am sure that for as many alliances like mine, who got absolutely wrecked by this seasons point issue, there are many who are benefiting just as heavily.

The quick backstory, my alliance is a 2 war battle group alliance that has been finishing high gold 2 for a while now. Last season many of us decided to take the season off as a rest knowing it would affect our position. We ended last season in gold 3 and we were eager to work our way back up this season.

Our alliance went undefeated this season, but looks like that was all for nothing. We climbed back up to gold 2 by war 5 or 6 (I’m sure winning war 1, the one properly scored war helped) but saw ourselves steadily drop after that. Our win streak continued, but by the end of the second to last war we had fallen back into gold 3. Winning the final war of the season did not seem to make a difference and unless something changes in the standings, we will end up in the gold 3 reward bracket.

While I’m sure I’m biased here, but something just doesn’t sit right that an alliance who won every war and was in the gold 2 bracket for over half the season can fall to gold 3. I’m aware the multiplier is a factor but it just feels like all our hard work was for absolutely nothing. The difference in rewards is pretty much negligible, but the principle of it. It just kinda blows, I hope they rest of you fell on the good side of the bugged war season.

Comments

• TyEdgeTyEdge Member Posts: 3,085 ★★★★★
    SandeepS said:

I think more people were doing 3bg and were therefore scoring more points even with a loss.

If you were running 3bg and it happened I would agree you would have a right to be annoyed.

The points adjustments change might also have contributed but Kabam said everyone was impacted in the same way...

The fact it was applied the same doesn’t mean the effect was the same. Someone who lost wars 2-12 lost 170-220 rating points. In the past, that number would’ve been 550. OP clearly laid out how his group was negatively affected. They aren’t required to run 3 groups. 12-0 with 2 BGs should guarantee gold 2 in any normal circumstance.
  • ItsDamienItsDamien Member Posts: 5,626 ★★★★★
    TyEdge said:

SandeepS said:

I think more people were doing 3bg and were therefore scoring more points even with a loss.

If you were running 3bg and it happened I would agree you would have a right to be annoyed.

The points adjustments change might also have contributed but Kabam said everyone was impacted in the same way...

The fact it was applied the same doesn’t mean the effect was the same. Someone who lost wars 2-12 lost 170-220 rating points. In the past, that number would’ve been 550. OP clearly laid out how his group was negatively affected. They aren’t required to run 3 groups. 12-0 with 2 BGs should guarantee gold 2 in any normal circumstance.
    Under normal circumstance no average alliance should ever go 12-0.
  • ShannonSacrifice013ShannonSacrifice013 Member Posts: 49
    I run a 1 BG alliance won EVERY SINGLE WAR of the season . Yet we are in Silver 2 , however we started at silver 3 , i just feel like we shouldve advanced further myself. So i agree with you 100%.
  • Burrito2525Burrito2525 Member Posts: 515 ★★★
    Nearly same story as OP, ally finished with 3 BGs last season around top 100 in g2 with an 4-8 record (awful, I know). We went 2 BGs this season with those who actually cared about war and went 12-0 and have been slowly dropping all season from about g2 600 down to 1200 something in g2. I know we get more points with 3 BGs but seems like the season was bs with scoring.
  • ChunkleChunkle Member Posts: 2
    Same happened to us, used to be Plat4, half of us left to chill, 12-0 for Gold 3 (barely) on a 2BG season is mad. No way should a 12-0 season be point limited to Gold 3, I get if we had moved up it wouldn't have been the same opponents but the points system broke early and basically nullified the season by locking positions for most alliances. They need to re-evaluate this for future.
  • ItsDamienItsDamien Member Posts: 5,626 ★★★★★
    Chunkle said:

Same happened to us, used to be Plat4, half of us left to chill, 12-0 for Gold 3 (barely) on a 2BG season is mad. No way should a 12-0 season be point limited to Gold 3, I get if we had moved up it wouldn't have been the same opponents but the points system broke early and basically nullified the season by locking positions for most alliances. They need to re-evaluate this for future.

Weird how my 2BG alliance with a couple of losses ended in Gold 1. Tiers matter I guess.
  • zuffyzuffy Member Posts: 2,226 ★★★★★
    We do 1BG war and lost the first war in tier 4. Then won the next 8 wars, with last 3 wins in tier 3. That got us into gold 2. Then lost the last 3 wars in tier 3 but remain in gold 2. The high multipliers kept us in gold 2.
  • -sixate--sixate- Member Posts: 1,532 ★★★★★
    We do 1bg wars, won every war, never hit tier 3 so finished 150th in G3. Without running 3bg wars you can only do so much. It is what it is.
  • zuffyzuffy Member Posts: 2,226 ★★★★★
    -sixate- said:

We do 1bg wars, won every war, never hit tier 3 so finished 150th in G3. Without running 3bg wars you can only do so much. It is what it is.

You probably started at the low end of tier 4. Never gain enough war rating to move into tier 3. We started the season near 2600 war rating.
  • JohnnyBeastJohnnyBeast Member Posts: 59
    SandeepS said:

A bit more context, our alliance has always run 2 war groups and been a gold 2 alliance for probably a year. While I absolutely agree running two war groups limits upside, the past year has proven that we should be able to maintain gold 2.

As mentioned in my original post, dropping a tier whiteout a lose is the issue for me. Being in gold 2 from early on in the season and continuing to fall throughout the season shouldn’t happen. As mentioned by someone, we most likely wouldn’t have gone 12-0 on a normal season but we for sure would have ended in gold 2.

This was by far our best season to date, not because we fought easier alliances but because our alliance made an effort to push. We are a relaxed alliance with an option war, which is why we have been in gold 2 for so long. This season we made a conscious decision to get 20 hard working individuals to give it there all. We had better communication and asked for help when we needed it as opposed to just reviving and going back in. We are not some high tier alliance, so we have deaths. We just made efforts to limit them and use backup when needed. I will say my favorite war change was showing the attack bonuses on the map for a fight. This helped us to figure out what went wrong and communicate if there was an issue of “muscling” a fight down and taking multiple deaths.

• ChatterofforumsChatterofforums Member Posts: 1,779 ★★★★★
    If you are not running 3 BG, I really don't understand how you expect to compete in scoring with alliances that run 3 BG.

I personally got fed up with AW long ago and am in a optional 1 BG AW alliance. We somehow normally finish around Gold 2-3 despite only running 1 BG (which most the time we can't even fill up the 1 BG) but this season quickly fell and stayed in Silver.

I have absolutely no issue with this, we are running 5-10 people per war while other alliances are running 30. To me it's only common sense that they should score more points based on scoring system, in fact, it always confuses me how we sometimes finish in gold 2 with zero effort put in (no diversity, no set paths, don't always fill even 1 BG). It seems much fairer for those running full war and putting actual effort into it to get higher tier rewards.
  • Jeal79Jeal79 Member Posts: 444 ★★★
    I feel like a lot of people really don't understand the gears behind wars/seasons & point scoring.

Tiers matter.
    No. Of Bgs matter.
    Other alliances matter.

You are unfortunately arbitrarily comparing doing a year of two bgs to achieve gold 2, to this season winning every war with 2 Bgs and falling into gold 3. The only things that really matter to be able to do a fair comparison is compare your final score for this season against your scores in previous seasons (though I very much doubt you made any note of your scores for prior seasons)

First of all, the fact that you won all 12 suggests that you likely started in a much lower tier and therefore your multiplier would have been lower. Lower multiplier means lower scores even if you are winning them all because your wins are not worth as much.

Secondly, there may have been a change in the Meta regarding player attitudes to war. Over the last year, the issues & bugs that have plagued the game caused many alliances to disband, ignore war or participate with less Bgs. This undoubtedly would have affected the point cut-offs for each season banding. With the game a lot more stable and changes being brought to wars it is plausible that there is more competition this season and the brackets may have higher point cut-offs than we've seen in the 12 months previous.

Lastly, if you won all 12 wars of the season, then you should recognise that wherever you finish that you are pretty much getting the maximum reward you could have gotten. Also highly likely that you have gone up tiers as the season progressed so you'll be in a better starting position for next season to get back into that gold 2 bracket
  • AdjeriusAdjerius Member Posts: 68

A bit more context, our alliance has always run 2 war groups and been a gold 2 alliance for probably a year. While I absolutely agree running two war groups limits upside, the past year has proven that we should be able to maintain gold 2.

As mentioned in my original post, dropping a tier whiteout a lose is the issue for me. Being in gold 2 from early on in the season and continuing to fall throughout the season shouldn’t happen. As mentioned by someone, we most likely wouldn’t have gone 12-0 on a normal season but we for sure would have ended in gold 2.

Achieving gold 2 isn't necessary guaranteed, even with an undefeated season and correctly working rating changes. Do you remember which tier you started in? That makes all the difference in the world.

I speak from experience. My alliance, like yours, is a 2-group alliance that consistently and comfortably finishes in gold 2. We don't really play between seasons, so when there was an unusually long off-season a few months ago, we lost our way down to a significantly lower tier than normal. We went 11-1 in the following season, yet failed to reach gold 2, and were far enough away that one more win still wouldn't have made it. And that was with full ratings changes in effect.

With that said, there's no reason you should have been losing ground in the standings while continuing to win. That just doesn't happen at this level, even with only running two groups. Is there any chance you checked the standings too quickly after your wars finished? The standings don't update in real time, so if you check too soon, you could be seeing your position based on an extra war that hasn't been reported for other alliances yet. I don't even bother to look until several hours after ours is done.