**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

How to do mistique

Dave7099Dave7099 Posts: 521 ★★★★
One way of doing mystique could be to allow for a prefights to select different character models to satisfy s/m/l/xl requirements

She would be a mutant obviously and her specials would be kinda domino-ish. Just high level Merc/assassin stuff. Probably bleed immune

It would be interesting to have a character that would be able to be used in any size requirement

Comments

• Options
    K00shMaanK00shMaan Posts: 1,289 ★★★★
    It would definitely be an alternative but I think Kabam really wants her to actually shapeshift throughout the fight. At the moment they are unable to do that because they can't have multiple different Character models loaded during the fight. They can reskin the same model (think Emma Frost or Human Torch) but they can't have a different one.
  • Options
    mostlyharmlessnmostlyharmlessn Posts: 1,387 ★★★★
    K00shMaan said:

It would definitely be an alternative but I think Kabam really wants her to actually shapeshift throughout the fight. At the moment they are unable to do that because they can't have multiple different Character models loaded during the fight. They can reskin the same model (think Emma Frost or Human Torch) but they can't have a different one.

I can't help but wonder if this is the reason why Kabam started introducing the "striker" feature.... to start seeing what would happen if they swapped the model mid fight... I can see the same underlying mechanic being used for her to "swap bodies" each time a special or heavy is performed.
  • Options
    They're definitely making progress. We have MoleMan and Peni Parker as well, champions that have 2 separate people as part of 1 Character Model.
  • Options
    Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Posts: 7,185 ★★★★★
    I heard Kabam John's explanation of the Mystique issue and had this thought: Make her transformation a cut scene a la the sp3 animation. That might give the app time to do whatever under-the-hood stuff it needs to do?
  • Options
    edited September 2022

I heard Kabam John's explanation of the Mystique issue and had this thought: Make her transformation a cut scene a la the sp3 animation. That might give the app time to do whatever under-the-hood stuff it needs to do?

I think one thing we have to consider to is that a lot of people want Mystique done right. This means that even when they've technically figured out what they need to do, I have a feeling they will release a separate champ first to kinda test the waters.

They've also kinda killed that idea via the Skip SP3 button.
  • Options
    ButtehrsButtehrs Posts: 4,778 ★★★★★
    K00shMaan said:

I think one thing we have to consider to is that a lot of people want Mystique done right. This means that even when they've technically figured out what they need to do, I have a feeling they will release a separate champ first to kinda test the waters.

I hear a calling for Morph if that's the case. Make him the guinea pig. He's used to it I hear.
  • Options
    Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Posts: 7,185 ★★★★★
    K00shMaan said:

I suppose they could not display that button for this.
  • Options
    ShadowstrikeShadowstrike Posts: 3,089 ★★★★★
    K00shMaan said:

Not only that but you have to remember a lot of people don't really get Mystique's powers, you had people who presumed that by her coming to the game, she was an all access pass to burst damage dealers like Dr Doom and Cosmic Ghost Rider when everybody who does understand her, knows that she can't copy powers.

She's going to be the Mount Everest of designs for this game and there's a good reason why you can't just rush in and presume to have it ready in a week.
  • Options
    CosmicGuardianCosmicGuardian Posts: 408 ★★★
    I feel like one way they could do Mystique would be to incorporate animal shifting since some adaptations, like X-Men Evolution, show her being able to morph into animals as well as humans/humanoids. Perhaps they could incorporate the ability into heavies or specials.
  • Options
    BowTieJohnBowTieJohn Posts: 2,360 ★★★★

K00shMaan said:

I can't help but wonder if this is the reason why Kabam started introducing the "striker" feature.... to start seeing what would happen if they swapped the model mid fight... I can see the same underlying mechanic being used for her to "swap bodies" each time a special or heavy is performed.
    Interesting thought.

• Options
    AverageDesiAverageDesi Posts: 5,260 ★★★★★

K00shMaan said:

They're definitely making progress. We have MoleMan and Peni Parker as well, champions that have 2 separate people as part of 1 Character Model.

I'm nerding out a little on MCOC history stuff, but the first time we successfully rendered a second model for 1 Champion was actually Ghost Rider. His motorcycle that appears in his SP3 was a pretty big technical achievement for the team at the time. Since then, mobile devices have become more powerful, and it really opened the gates for Champs like Peni and Mole Man.
    I'm kinda proud i know this
  • Options
    Dave7099 said:

One way of doing mystique could be to allow for a prefights to select different character models to satisfy s/m/l/xl requirements

She would be a mutant obviously and her specials would be kinda domino-ish. Just high level Merc/assassin stuff. Probably bleed immune

It would be interesting to have a character that would be able to be used in any size requirement

They could do that but they won't do that. You only get one chance to make a first impression with Mystique, and there's absolutely no reason to rush Mystique when the technology to implement shape shifting in actual combat isn't ready for it yet.
  • Options

Time is not the problem. Resources are the problem. Extra models cost geometry and texture memory, among other things. If Mystique was designed to shape-shift into, say, three or four different extra forms, that would mean instead of two champions taking up memory and resources, it would be four or five that had to be more or less always loaded so they could be used dynamically.

And just to address the obvious question: why do they have to all be loaded simultaneously? If time is not the problem, why not load them dynamically as needed? Well, first that load time would likely be prohibitive even if it did not happen in the middle of time-sensitive combat, but ignoring time altogether there's the question of what happens when a) the load can't happen because resources run out and b) what happens if the load happens and the phone runs out of resources because of that dynamic load. In the first instance the game goes loopy, and in the second the game crashes. You basically need to load everything you're likely to need in a fight before the fight starts, because if you try to get clever in the middle of the fight that cleverness can fail.

That's actually why the game has been so "crashy" in the first place recently - as in: the last two years or so. You can't design Mystique to work in a way that magnifies that problem for everyone.
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,247 ★★★★★
    I've actually been toying with the idea of her turning into the Opponent for years. Not sure if that would complicate the design process or not.
  • Options
    CassyCassy Posts: 1,071 ★★★
    But groot was released before Ghost Rider.
    And Rocket comes in the SP3 as well.

Does this not count towards extra model?
    Just curios...
  • Options
    RookiieRookiie Posts: 4,772 ★★★★★
    edited September 2022
    Cassy said:

But groot was released before Ghost Rider.
    And Rocket comes in the SP3 as well.

Does this not count towards extra model?
    Just curios...

That’s an interesting point @Kabam Miike
    Unless the SP3 was changed?