Potential Delay to v44.1 Launch

We are currently working through some issues that may affect the release window of v44.1. This means that the update may not release on Monday as it usually does. We are working to resolve the issue holding us up as quickly as possible, but will keep you all updated, especially if the delay results in any changes to the content release schedule.
Options

AI’s speed is nuking mcoc

MrWTFMrWTF Posts: 68 ★★
Record your gameplay. Then watch the playback as slow as you can. You’ll see the ai is easily moving 5x faster, maybe more, than we are. Imo this is causing the major issues with dex, blocking, parry, blocking, intercepts, launching spcls, med dash, dash backwards, heavy spam, and now combos. Yes combos. The ai is so fast now it’s getting through five hit combos. And if you are in an area with poor signal it’s even more of a nightmare. Kabam please stop making the ai faster. It’ll be good for everyone if you dialed the speed back too.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ★★★★
    edited May 2023
    The AI doesn't move any faster or work any different from how the player moves. The only difference between the player and the AI is that the AI is on the right side of the screen.

The way AI like this works is that they have a list of actions they can take at any given moment (dash back, throw special, light attack, etc.). The AI being able to reparry is completely normal, as that's something the player is able to do just as well. The problem being of course, it is still unfair to the player, as the ability to throw a combo into a block is something that shouldn't be interrupted so discretely. At least not for the player.

When issues like Special/light attack intercepts come up, it's a very complicated thing to break down, but I'll try my best with the information available to us.

The AI's decision making is mostly based off of positioning in the fight. If the AI is far away from the player, they're more likely to dash in. Closer to the player, they're more likely to throw a light attack. If the player holds their block AND the AI is close to the player, the AI is most likely to throw a heavy attack. These are all decisions the AI makes based off of the current positioning of the player and the AI. These being decisions means that the AI does not have to make them. They can and will still dash back when the player holds their block or hold onto a special attack when the player heavy spams them in the corner, strictly because RNG dictates it.

So when it comes to issues like Special Intercepts being done by the robot on the right side of the screen, a lot of people are going to assume that the AI just made that decision because Kabam added an extra 10% chance to "Throw Special" when the player dashes in. The more likely cause is that the AI just took longer than normal to choose "Throw Special" after being given the opportunity. For example: If the player attempts to bait out a special while the AI is at two bars of power by Dexing the enemy's dash attacks, the enemy might stand still after the second attempted bait, as you might often notice the majority of the time you get special intercepted. They could then pause, "Throw Special" and while they're standing still, the player thinks they have an opening and dashes directly into that special attack. The problem here is not that the player dashes in and then the AI is given the option to "Throw Special", the problem is that the AI paused before making the decision to throw their special, since this usually is not the case.

Those same timing issues are the cause of light attack intercepts, heavy attack intercepts, and more issues often deemed as "AI Issues". These can be solved in many ways, but the important part is going to be diagnosing the cause of why the AI takes a second to follow through with a task after the opportunity is given. Humans rarely have that issue, as we know exactly when to throw our specials and rarely hesitate to do so.

So why does the AI hesitate to throw a special attack when baited sometimes and immediately throws them other times? I have no idea, I don't work there. It could be issues with optimization of code, it could be server issues, it could be that inputs are recorded separately from when they actually take place, but only the devs have access to that kind of information.

What I do know, however, is that the AI does not move any faster than the player. In it's most basic form, the player and the AI are given the exact same abilities and limitations. Humans can skip animations, and AI can as well (though they are designed to play them all the way through, giving us time to punish special attacks). As for the issue with AI being able to miss attacks before throwing special attacks, I do know what you're referring to and you are sadly correct, because players can do that as well.

Due to the Dexterity and Parry mastery being the backbone of MCOC, there is a very brief delay for players and AI when being struck by attacks to actually take the damage and begin the "getting hit" animations. Without this brief delay, us players would have a shorter window of Dexterity, we would miss our Parries much more often, and special attack intercepting would be so much risker than it is for us. Just like the bombs in Fruit Ninja have a smaller hitbox than the fruit, and the platforms in most platformer games have a bigger hitbox than we can see, these are quality of life features that would absolutely ruin the game if they were taken out today.

There are a lot of legitimate issues reported as "AI Issues", but I'm fairly confident that none of them are issues with the AI itself. No way in hell should it be able to reparry, throw specials without even a bar of power, or even light attack intercept as often as it does. I assure you that the enemy breaking through your 5 hit combo is not something it is designed to do and the forum moderators would definitely benefit from hearing more information on that.
  • Options
    MrWTF said:

In this video I just knock him down. After he gets up I wait for him to dash so I can do an intercept. As I start my dash he stops his, to cancel out my intercept, then zips across the screen. I’m in a full dash moving at snail speed, because of how much I’ve slowed the video down. You can clearly see how many times faster the ai is moving. So you’re absolutely wrong about the ai doesn’t move faster.

I can very easily tell what happened here. You dashed in after him, but since your character was already walking forward it was registered as a close medium attack. He isn't faster than you, your character just never dashed in. And he never cancelled his intercept, you're just mistaking his walking forward animation as a dash animation. It's not a healthy mindset to say "you're absolutely wrong" when your perspective on a two second video is the only thing you're taking into account
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    MrWTF said:

There was no walking. Rouge went from standing still to a full medium dash in that video. So once again you’re wrong. The ai determined I was intercepting so it stops its dash. Then proceeds to clear the entire screen to intercept my intercept. And it did all of that before my champ could move an inch. You clearly see how slow my champ is moving. And how many times the ai is moving. It’s right there

https://youtu.be/10qwKf5w1ZI
    https://youtu.be/ae1W9Eqy0po

Here are two videos. The first one shows Rogue with her walk animation, and the second with her dash animation. Notice with the dash animation how she steps off the ground? Now revisit your video and show me where she stepped off the ground. She was never in a full dash, and you're so deadset on your belief that you're flat out ignoring the possibility that you just didn't understand your interaction.
  • Options
    MrWTF said:

MrWTF said:

In this video I just knock him down. After he gets up I wait for him to dash so I can do an intercept. As I start my dash he stops his, to cancel out my intercept, then zips across the screen. I’m in a full dash moving at snail speed, because of how much I’ve slowed the video down. You can clearly see how many times faster the ai is moving. So you’re absolutely wrong about the ai doesn’t move faster.

I can very easily tell what happened here. You dashed in after him, but since your character was already walking forward it was registered as a close medium attack. He isn't faster than you, your character just never dashed in. And he never cancelled his intercept, you're just mistaking his walking forward animation as a dash animation. It's not a healthy mindset to say "you're absolutely wrong" when your perspective on a two second video is the only thing you're taking into account
    Rouge isn’t walking. That’s just how slow the video is playing. The video is slowed to 1x. That’s extremely slow. She goes from standing still to a full medium dash. The ai is moving so fast that it’s making it look like she’s walking.
    Watch the videos I linked. The forward animation in your video is exactly her walking animation and nothing like her forward dash animation.
  • Options

• Options
    MrWTF said:

MrWTF said:

There was no walking. Rouge went from standing still to a full medium dash in that video. So once again you’re wrong. The ai determined I was intercepting so it stops its dash. Then proceeds to clear the entire screen to intercept my intercept. And it did all of that before my champ could move an inch. You clearly see how slow my champ is moving. And how many times the ai is moving. It’s right there

Here are two videos. The first one shows Rogue with her walk animation, and the second with her dash animation. Notice with the dash animation how she steps off the ground? Now revisit your video and show me where she stepped off the ground.
    Rouge doesn’t have a walking medium dash. The video is slowed to 1x. Rouge is doing a medium dash. Not walking. Dashing
    I'm showing you that in order for Rogue to be doing a forward dash in your video, it has to look exactly like the animation in the second video I showed you. And for that to be the case, the animation in your video has to start with Rogue stepping her foot on the ground because that is how her forward dash is designed to start. What you're not getting is that the speed of the video doesn't matter, in any case, if her foot never touched the ground then it was not a dash attack. The rogue in your video did a close medium attack, meaning it cut out the animation of the dash due to your character being too close to require a dash in the first place. The only thing you need to know is that for Rogue to dash forward, it is required that she has that stepping animation, which she doesn't have in your video.
  • Options
    MrWTF said:

The regen tic on the side of her gives an idea of

MrWTF said:

MrWTF said:

Here are two videos. The first one shows Rogue with her walk animation, and the second with her dash animation. Notice with the dash animation how she steps off the ground? Now revisit your video and show me where she stepped off the ground.
    Rouge doesn’t have a walking medium dash. The video is slowed to 1x. Rouge is doing a medium dash. Not walking. Dashing
    I'm showing you that in order for Rogue to be doing a forward dash in your video, it has to look exactly like the animation in the second video I showed you. And for that to be the case, the animation in your video has to start with Rogue stepping her foot on the ground because that is how her forward dash is designed to start. What you're not getting is that the speed of the video doesn't matter, in any case, if her foot never touched the ground then it was not a dash attack. The rogue in your video did a close medium attack, meaning it cut out the animation of the dash due to your character being too close to require a dash in the first place. The only thing you need to know is that for Rogue to dash forward, it is required that she has that stepping animation, which she doesn't have in your video.
    Rogue in my video is starting off exactly like the rouge in your second video. Neither of them touch the ground with their foot. They extend their right legs in a 100% identical manner. There is no stepping with rouge. She extends her right leg at the begging of her dash. They do the exact same thing.
    https://youtu.be/kuqjnnX_UgQ
    Look at it again then
  • Options

• Options
    MrWTF said:

MrWTF said:

MrWTF said:

MrWTF said:

Rogue in my video is starting off exactly like the rouge in your second video. Neither of them touch the ground with their foot. They extend their right legs in a 100% identical manner. There is no stepping with rouge. She extends her right leg at the begging of her dash. They do the exact same thing.
    Look at it again then
    I don’t have the original video to prove she was dashing. But this post wasn’t created to prove she was dashing or not. It’s about how the ai has become too fast. The regen tics on the side of rouge show how much the video was slowed down. They’re also great markers to show how extremely fast the ai is moving. Rouge and those regen tics show how extreme the speed of that ai are.
    Dawg, the video is right there. I watched it multiple times. All you're proving is that you completely misunderstood what happened and made an entire thread about an issue that didn't exist. The AI is not faster than you, you were not dashing, and you do not understand what happened even half as much as you're pretending to. The AI is moving at the exact same speed as Rogue would've been moving had she actually dashed forward. It's that simple.
  • Options

• Options
    MrWTF said:

MrWTF said:

MrWTF said:

MrWTF said:

MrWTF said:

Look at it again then
    I don’t have the original video to prove she was dashing. But this post wasn’t created to prove she was dashing or not. It’s about how the ai has become too fast. The regen tics on the side of rouge show how much the video was slowed down. They’re also great markers to show how extremely fast the ai is moving. Rouge and those regen tics show how extreme the speed of that ai are.
    Dawg, the video is right there. I watched it multiple times. All you're proving is that you completely misunderstood what happened and made an entire thread about an issue that didn't exist. The AI is not faster than you, you were not dashing, and you do not understand what happened even half as much as you're pretending to. The AI is moving at the exact same speed as Rogue would've been moving had she actually dashed forward. It's that simple.
    Do you work for kabam or something? Maybe a programmer? You’re hopping in everyone’s post trying to discredit what theyre saying like you have the knowledge of a kabam developer. You don’t agree, ok. Now go troll someone else please
    No, I'm literally just some guy on the forums who doesn't like being told "you're absolutely wrong" with no reasoning, so I disproved your absolutely wrong claim. And as for the video you just posted again, she still never touched the ground. That's a walk up, not a dash. You can try proving it again and again, but that isn't gonna change the fact that you came at me acting like an ass just to show how little you actually understand about your own claim. You wanna showcase a bug? Go ahead. But don't come at me telling me I have no ground to stand on, or I'm going to show you why you're wrong and I'm not going to be nice about it. Simple as that.
  • Options
    MrWTF said:

MrWTF said:

MrWTF said:

MrWTF said:

MrWTF said:

MrWTF said:

Look at it again then
    Do you work for kabam or something? Maybe a programmer? You’re hopping in everyone’s post trying to discredit what theyre saying like you have the knowledge of a kabam developer. You don’t agree, ok. Now go troll someone else please
    No, I'm literally just some guy on the forums who doesn't like being told "you're absolutely wrong" with no reasoning, so I disproved your absolutely wrong claim. And as for the video you just posted again, she still never touched the ground. That's a walk up, not a dash. You can try proving it again and again, but that isn't gonna change the fact that you came at me acting like an ass just to show how little you actually understand about your own claim. You wanna showcase a bug? Go ahead. But don't come at me telling me I have no ground to stand on, or I'm going to show you why you're wrong and I'm not going to be nice about it. Simple as that.
    Post is about the ai being too fast. You’re off topic and clearly trolling. Please stay out of this post
    Sir, yes sir.
  • Options
    KaruseusKaruseus Posts: 528 ★★
    As for the speed… well, since there is a small lag from our input to it being registered, the ai has upper hand because there is no lag in input registration for them.
    Ai short recovery time is already short enough, and couple this with input lag makes it the recovery time feel even shorter.
    Somehow it feels like animation and actual speed don’t quite match… i was surprised how fast storm got up from knock down and smacked me in the face with her foot
  • Options
    Karuseus said:

As for the speed… well, since there is a small lag from our input to it being registered, the ai has upper hand because there is no lag in input registration for them.
    Ai short recovery time is already short enough, and couple this with input lag makes it the recovery time feel even shorter.
    Somehow it feels like animation and actual speed don’t quite match… i was surprised how fast storm got up from knock down and smacked me in the face with her foot

Maybe you're right about input lag, but Storm is a special case when it comes to recovery time, as her and a couple of other champions exclusively don't allow you to stand up intercept them. But again, that's not an issue with AI nor is it something that's ever been changed.

As well, Kabam gives us the upper hand in that input lag register issue by allowing us to intercept in cases where the opponent uses a dash attack. When the AI dashes at you, you're intended to see that then dash at them, and their dash animation will always give enough time to account for input lag and for us to process the AI's movements. That's why medium intercepts just don't work at close range, and light attacks should instead be used in the OP's case, though that is more difficult.
  • Options
    Skydad23Skydad23 Posts: 541 ★★★
    MrWTF said:

Great Video! I hope Kabam sees these.
  • Options
    AverageDesiAverageDesi Posts: 5,260 ★★★★★
    MrWTF said:

He is dashing , you're walking. He cancels his walk , not his dash. He then proceeds to dash. You are still just walking. You kept your block open so you got hit