What makes Kitty Pryde so good?

LacerosLaceros Member Posts: 106 ★★
edited June 2023 in General Discussion
Im curious, a lot of people say that KP is the best mutant in the game. But I don’t really understand.

As far as raw damage, sunspot and archangel and you could even argue colossus seem to out do her, and that seems to be her main selling point.

What am I missing?

Comments

• Tinklywink5459Tinklywink5459 Member Posts: 52
    Her phase kills most of the damage and when awakened her phase takes zero damage.
  • GuruYosenGuruYosen Member Posts: 87
    Have you ever seen SP 2 with 26 prowesses with max temperature and phase? Although she could do damage around 1 million, she's not practical comparing with other mutants
  • ReignkingTWReignkingTW Member Posts: 2,774 ★★★★★

Her phase kills most of the damage and when awakened her phase takes zero damage.

Which helps her get around a lot of annoying nodes or characters, like thorns damage.
  • PolygonPolygon Member Posts: 4,393 ★★★★★
    I’m curious, do most people play her without throwing the specials and just phasing for combos? Since the prowess all fall off after the specials
  • FrostGiantLordFrostGiantLord Member Posts: 1,971 ★★★★
    Her damage is decent, but her rotation is where she truly shines. You can just phase through anything, which makes it pretty much impossible to take damage. Thats what makes her so powerful: You don't need to worry about taking damage or messing up.
  • ShiroiharaShiroihara Member Posts: 1,092 ★★★★
    Polygon said:

I’m curious, do most people play her without throwing the specials and just phasing for combos? Since the prowess all fall off after the specials

Depends. On a fight like the gauntlet’s Terrax you want full uptime on your phasing to avoid the rock field damage. Against gauntlet’s Fury you’d cycle SP3s and benefit from the power gain from missing attacks during that long phasing.
    For low/medium risk fights I’ll usually throw SP2s at max prowess.
  • Rbk19Rbk19 Member Posts: 195 ★★
    Laceros said:

Im curious, a lot of people say that KP is the best mutant in the game. But I don’t really understand.

As far as raw damage, sunspot and archangel and you could even argue colossus seem to out do her, and that seems to be her main selling point.

What am I missing?

It's not about the damage, it's her phase ability which bypass annoying nodes. I use her in war for path 9, she is better than most of the dot immune champions
  • KerneasKerneas Member Posts: 3,807 ★★★★★
    Tbh I never understood it either. I tried her, but I was never able to utilise her phase to my advantage.
  • ThePharcideThePharcide Member Posts: 211 ★★★
    Ruwqiersa said:

Laceros said:

What am I missing?

One of the most overrated champs. Looks op on paper but in practice almost everyone dies using her. Dashing in to activate phase is risky
    Tell us you don’t know how to play Kitty without telling us.

Dashing in to activate phase is risky? In what way.
    Scenario 1 you dash in and they intercept you. You’re phased you’re taking no damage.
    Scenario 2 you dash in they block. Ok dash out then back in.
    Scenario 3 you dash in they use a special. You’re phased you take no damage.
    Scenario 4 you gave them bars of power and have a hard to dex unblockable. Dash back let them launch it, dash in you take no damage you’re phased.

I don’t see any scenario, aside from being unawakened, where it’s risky to dash in hit MLM dash out or dash in and launch a special.

Even if you lose your prowess because you avoided damage, you can get them back super quick.
  • ThePharcideThePharcide Member Posts: 211 ★★★
    Just an aside. Watch videos on champs they help so much.

https://youtu.be/yZCurUQigAo
  • doctorbdoctorb Member Posts: 1,820 ★★★★
    Some things I would like to c changed on her is her phase last longer (like Ghost) and have her phasing be able to neutralize debuffs on her and converted to Fury, also like Ghost.

As for Ghost, I feel her phasing should also be able to protect her against SP3, like Kitty.

Please, Kabam. 😋
  • RasiloverRasilover Member Posts: 1,475 ★★★★
    She’s broken
  • spider_man_guy_123spider_man_guy_123 Member Posts: 162 ★★
    doctorb said:

Some things I would like to c changed on her is her phase last longer (like Ghost) and have her phasing be able to neutralize debuffs on her and converted to Fury, also like Ghost.

As for Ghost, I feel her phasing should also be able to protect her against SP3, like Kitty.

Please, Kabam. 😋

The things you’re asking for for both champs are tied to synergies. Kitty gains furies for debuffs on her with magneto on the team and ghost doesn’t take damage with hood on the team.
  • Wu_Bangerz23Wu_Bangerz23 Member Posts: 1,001 ★★★

Ruwqiersa said:

Laceros said:

What am I missing?

One of the most overrated champs. Looks op on paper but in practice almost everyone dies using her. Dashing in to activate phase is risky
    Massive skill issue
    I'm gonna say it's a combination of that and he or she doesn't have a KP at high rank/sig. I didn't understand the Kitty hype either (for almost two years).....and then I got her as a 6 star and awakened her, brought her up to r3, etc,etc....I said this on a different thread....she is one of those champs that looks completely overrated and hard to understand why so many people say she is as OP as she is......and then one day you'll get her and learn to play her well and understand she has above average damage and if you are good enough can take little to no damage in 90% of the games meta..... Iron doom, rintrah and hood are in the same category.....your opinion on how good or bad they are is completely irrelevant to me unless you have them and use them at a high level.....YouTube doesn't exactly paint the perfect picture of how op these champs can be.
  • spider_man_guy_123spider_man_guy_123 Member Posts: 162 ★★

Ruwqiersa said:

Laceros said:

What am I missing?

Massive skill issue
    I'm gonna say it's a combination of that and he or she doesn't have a KP at high rank/sig. I didn't understand the Kitty hype either (for almost two years).....and then I got her as a 6 star and awakened her, brought her up to r3, etc,etc....I said this on a different thread....she is one of those champs that looks completely overrated and hard to understand why so many people say she is as OP as she is......and then one day you'll get her and learn to play her well and understand she has above average damage and if you are good enough can take little to no damage in 90% of the games meta..... Iron doom, rintrah and hood are in the same category.....your opinion on how good or bad they are is completely irrelevant to me unless you have them and use them at a high level.....YouTube doesn't exactly paint the perfect picture of how op these champs can be.
    Believe me, I was in that same boat. I even took a 6* kitty I pulled to r2 and just couldn’t understand why she was good until I ranked her and decided to r3 her. Now I have her at r4 and absolutely love her.
  • TitoBandito187TitoBandito187 Member Posts: 2,072 ★★★★
    1. Get 3+ prowess.
    2. Dash forward MM,
    3. dash back,
    4. dash forward MM.
    5. Repeat.

She's unkillable.

Just solo'd Terrax and NF in Gauntlet like that. She's immortal if you slow play. Sure you can throw specials for big damage, but this is a never ending safety net when you play her like 5hat and with suicides on she still tears up big health pools without throwing specials. Pair with tights and she's unblockable too so you don't even have to try to stay phased.
  • LostCrestLostCrest Member Posts: 105
    I mainly use ML combos, SP1 to SP2 on short fights and SP3 to SP2 on medium to long fights. She forces you to learn to either intercept and if you suck then you have phase as a backup. Just a different-styled Ghost imo. Can bypass 90% of the game with her unblockable and phase.
  • TyDollarSignTyDollarSign Member Posts: 239 ★★
    I think her most underrated ability is that her incinerate debuffs and unblockable buff are all potentially passives which can help with a lot of nodes that negate debuffs or buffs
  • doctorbdoctorb Member Posts: 1,820 ★★★★

doctorb said:

Please, Kabam. 😋

The things you’re asking for for both champs are tied to synergies. Kitty gains furies for debuffs on her with magneto on the team and ghost doesn’t take damage with hood on the team.
    Difference between ghost and kitty + magneto is ghost converts debuffs to furies so she no longer suffer from debuffs. Kitty may get furies but she still has debuffs acting on her, which hurts her when doing suicides.