Options

Why do skill champs have no immunities?

Just the title, Korg is the only one with immunities. I get that some of them can purify debuffs but shouldn’t a few of them at least have immunities?

Comments

• Options
    FurrymoosenFurrymoosen Posts: 2,225 ★★★★★
    Sure, the skill class has LESS immunities, but it also has several champs that shrug or convert debuffs too. As Viper stated, there’s more than just Korg, but you’ve also got:

Kingpin, Shang-Chi, Crossbones, Aegon, Hit Monkey, Black Panther, Taskmaster, Jabari Panther, and Agent Venom. Probably missing a couple others too. And then there’s Valkyrie who doesn’t need to hit champs so she can avoid most debuffs.

So yeah, as you point out there are some that can purify. Immunities aren’t that important when you can get rid of the debuffs anyway.
  • Options
    Sachhyam257Sachhyam257 Posts: 1,022 ★★★★
    Think of it like; most skill champs are just people who have trained themselves to compete with genetically/cosmically/mystically enhanced beings. You can train and develop resistances but you can't outright develop immunities (that would require altering their bodies, which would put them in a different class). They are "skilled" enough to shrug off certain effects but not immune to them. It kinda fits that logic imo.

Korg is from a different species altogether so he's an exception. Similarly, Giganto jr is the one that actually fights, mole man is just kinda there for the vibes. The immunities are for Giganto Jr. I'm not too sure abt Night Thrasher tho.
  • Options
    Lovejoy72Lovejoy72 Posts: 1,858 ★★★★

Think of it like; most skill champs are just people who have trained themselves to compete with genetically/cosmically/mystically enhanced beings. You can train and develop resistances but you can't outright develop immunities (that would require altering their bodies, which would put them in a different class). They are "skilled" enough to shrug off certain effects but not immune to them. It kinda fits that logic imo.

Korg is from a different species altogether so he's an exception. Similarly, Giganto jr is the one that actually fights, mole man is just kinda there for the vibes. The immunities are for Giganto Jr. I'm not too sure abt Night Thrasher tho.

My understanding is that in Night Thrasher‘s advanced body armor is canonically fire proof.
  • Options
    KnightOfTheRealmKnightOfTheRealm Posts: 907 ★★★

Mole Man has immunity to shock and Night Thrasher has immunity to incinerate. Skill champs are mostly represented by “normal” (usually) humans that are just exceptionally skilled in combat so most of them won’t typically be immune to anything.

Forgot about night thrasher and didn’t know about moleman
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,323 ★★★★★
    AV has Tenacity as well. That's pretty close. GP has AAR with her Combo. Just off the top of my head.
  • Options
    spider_man_guy_123spider_man_guy_123 Posts: 162 ★★
    Think about it logically. Skill champs are pretty much all normal humans or animals that are very strong fighters. Do humans in real life have immunity to things like bleed or poison? Do animals in real life have immunity to those things?
  • Options
    VaniteliaVanitelia Posts: 334 ★★★
    BP is a normal human, but he got his powers from the heart-shaped herb that came from vibranium. Technically, he should be cosmic then, right? Then again, the Fantastic 4 are science but got their powers from cosmic energy. We can go on, but that's another topic. Can even throw MK in there too.

For game purposes, they fit into classes and those classes have their own niches and immunities. Sometimes the logic makes sense, and sometimes it does not. Just the way it works.
  • Options
    Bugmat78Bugmat78 Posts: 2,188 ★★★★★
    Lovejoy72 said:

Think about it logically. Skill champs are pretty much all normal humans or animals that are very strong fighters. Do humans in real life have immunity to things like bleed or poison? Do animals in real life have immunity to those things?

I’ve been told I’m immune to irony?
    Can confirm this.
  • Options
    KerneasKerneas Posts: 3,759 ★★★★★
    Skill issue
  • Options
    Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Posts: 7,210 ★★★★★
    Is there a shrug emoji? Might be useful right now.

• Options
    spider_man_guy_123spider_man_guy_123 Posts: 162 ★★

Skill champs arent always human and they often make champs a different class than what they should be like thor rags probably should be cosmic so should valkyrie and all of the fantastic 4
    I did say “or animals”
  • Options
    ShadowstrikeShadowstrike Posts: 3,102 ★★★★★
    Lovejoy72 said:

My understanding is that in Night Thrasher‘s advanced body armor is canonically fire proof.
    It's not only canonically Fireproof but it's also supposed to be Bulletproof and have a built-in camouflage system so if Kabam ever wanted to buff him accordingly, he would be bleed immune and have a camouflage feature similar to Miles.
  • Options
    CyborgNinja135CyborgNinja135 Posts: 1,117 ★★★★
    Hawkeye is immune to poison against non-mutants with Nick/BW/BWDO/Quake on the team. Korg is immune to shock and bleed, and Night Thrasher is immune to incinerate.

From a game design perspective, they don't have immunities because one of the skill class' main identities is dealing with debuffs through purify/cleanse. From a lore perspective, most skill champions are simply humans therefore it is logical they are not immune to any DOT effect. Instead, they have trained their bodies to shrug off these effects through sheer willpower or they are simple too angry to be bothered by them like Hit-Monkey
  • Options
    ShadowstrikeShadowstrike Posts: 3,102 ★★★★★
    While it's true that a lot of skilled Champions don't have a lot of immunities in comparison to other classes, if you go into the comics lore, there's a few updates that you could make that wouldn't be game breaking but would be MORE accurate to their characters.

For example in the comics, the catsuit Black Widow always wears it's supposed to be made of Kevlar to help with small arms and knives meaning she should be at least bleed resistant, if not bleed immune and then there's the whole factor of her black widow Super Solider serum, which is supposed to make her immune to poison, meaning she could've been one of the first double immune Champs in the game and she also wouldn't be the only ones that would be double immune.

Besides the metal arm, the Winter Soldier is supposed to be operating off of a similar type of super soldier serum like Captain America which is supposed to enhance his strength and reflexes. And while we haven't established whether or not Bucky's super soldier serum would have the same effect like Captain America and his metabolism burning so fast that Alcohol and other toxins would have a shorter lifespan in his system, but if so, something like that would at least give Bucky so much needed utility

Not to forget both versions of Black Panther, and killmonger are covered head to toe in vibranium, which we all know absorbs the kinetic energy of both explosions and bullets meaning at the very least, they should all be bleed immune.

And finally Daredevil Hell's Kitchen is also wearing a suit that was specifically designed to protect him from knives and small arms fire, meaning he should also have some bleed immunity or bleed resistance and even though I know they would never tweak his willpower regeneration to a more acceptable level like 50%, it would at least help with the sustainability and help to differentiate even more from classic who is wearing a more traditional costume and just more agile.

So there are ways that we can improve the skill class that wouldn't be out of character or beyond their abilities. It's just a matter of paying attention to the lore.
  • Options
    SandeepSSandeepS Posts: 1,202 ★★★★

Im waterproof
  • Options
    KaruseusKaruseus Posts: 528 ★★
    In fact, most purify/cleanse ability belongs to skill class. It’s not all the cases, but most skill class champs are designed to shrug off debuffs instead of being immune to it.

I know when it comes to reliability, immunity is better than purify, so can’t say skill class doesn’t need immunities, but still…