Potential Delay to v44.1 Launch

We are currently working through some issues that may affect the release window of v44.1. This means that the update may not release on Monday as it usually does. We are working to resolve the issue holding us up as quickly as possible, but will keep you all updated, especially if the delay results in any changes to the content release schedule.
Options

Has BG Matchmaking Gotten Worse?

So, I’m a paragon player who usually has no difficulty making GC, I’ve got around 15 Rank 4s and 5 or 6 7 stars, nothing at rank 5 yet because I’m a mid level spender and couldn’t afford the $50 or $100 packages during the fun in the sun event. Being the way the game is there are a lot of people out there running around with at least a handful of Rank 5s. I’d be totally fine running into one of these people every once in a while, but the MAJORITY of my matches are now against people I have no chance against. So my question is, is matchmaking worse now than it was before, or is it just because the competitor pool is filled with people with stronger rosters? Either way shouldn’t I still OCCASIONALLY run across people at my own power level

Has BG Matchmaking Gotten Worse? 91 votes

Yes, matchmaking is worse now
48% 44 votes
No, matchmaking was worse before
9% 9 votes
It’s the same, there’s just more strong accounts
41% 38 votes

Comments

• Options
    A_FungiA_Fungi Posts: 993 ★★★★
    It's not worse, I just don't think there is any real difference in the matchmaking between Paragon accounts, just some are much deeper than others

This started happening during the July 4th offers
  • Options
    JT_SupremeJT_Supreme Posts: 849 ★★★★
    edited August 2023
    Yeah I’m getting opponents with 2k prestige over mine again this season. Seems to be every other matchup. Not in platinum either
  • Options
    DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,559 ★★★★★
    edited August 2023
    It seems like the bands for possible matchups are far looser to the upside at higher prestige levels.

I’m assuming (because the team hasn’t disclosed and is unlikely to disclose) that there are designated prestige “bands” you’re programmed to match with—if you don’t match promptly (however that is defined), the game mode has permission to search for an opponent beyond your band.

Where that goes awry is if the band is too broad at the outset or if you are just at the bottom limit of your band. I’d guess that higher prestige accounts are lumped together in a 2-3K band at the top.

There may be other calculations involved as well, but based on my matchups this season I can say it is very rare to find someone much lower than my own prestige.

I’d be curious if other accounts, say those with 10K, 12K, 14K prestige are getting significantly broader ranges of matchups.

Dr. Zola
  • Options
    ZekirZekir Posts: 155 ★★
    There is no MM filter right now. I got matched up against an account that had zero 6*s and that was my second BG match ever. My first was against a dude with almost a pure 7* deck, R2s and multiple dupes.

Mind you, I have 1 R5, 6 R4s and 4 R1 7*s unduped. So this match up was pure pain.
  • Options
    DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,559 ★★★★★
    Zekir said:

There is no MM filter right now. I got matched up against an account that had zero 6*s and that was my second BG match ever. My first was against a dude with almost a pure 7* deck, R2s and multiple dupes.

Mind you, I have 1 R5, 6 R4s and 4 R1 7*s unduped. So this match up was pure pain.

What’s is your prestige and progression level?

Dr. Zola
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    DrZola said:

Zekir said:

Dr. Zola
    Paragon, 14k Prestige. 2.8m rating

Edit: I haven't even left Bronze yet. Dislike this meta.
  • Options
    MidnightfoxMidnightfox Posts: 1,097 ★★★

Just check Brian Grant streams. The guy is good but he doesn’t get match anything close to what I’m getting match too.

It wouldn’t be so bad if Kabam didn’t revert to the old ways to climb the VT. After Gold2, it’s back to 1 win = 1 token, instead of 2 until the last level. It was insane before and it is still now.

So all Paragons get stuck in Gold/Platinum while others level are cruising along.

Pretty much.
  • Options
    JT_SupremeJT_Supreme Posts: 849 ★★★★
    I’m 16k prestige, getting between 15-19k
  • Options
    DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 21,090 ★★★★★
    Zekir said:

DrZola said:

Zekir said:

Dr. Zola

You're being matched with someone with a similar rating within that tier. So if that account and your account are bronze 3 with 1 medal, you can be matched. After Plat 2, you're matched with accounts as close to yours as possible.
  • Options
    Skydad23Skydad23 Posts: 541 ★★★
    Yep I stopped playing again! Such a deterrent to rank up your Champions, and have your prestige go up. Your roster and prestige cannot be greater than your skill or you’re screwed. Trying to get out of the early ranks.
  • Options
    I was in gladiator circuit last season can’t get out of bronze this season. Leveled up too many champs to rank five took my prestige I guess way too high.
  • Options
    The thing I don’t understand is last season I’m sure they had the most people they’ve ever had playing battlegrounds, and for some reason they decided to change it??? Lol
  • Options
    SuelGamesSuelGames Posts: 935 ★★★
    At last you re finding players, ive been spending 2, 3, 5, even 30 minutes and the game doesnt find em a opponent
  • Options

Zekir said:

DrZola said:

Zekir said:

Dr. Zola

You're being matched with someone with a similar rating within that tier. So if that account and your account are bronze 3 with 1 medal, you can be matched. After Plat 2, you're matched with accounts as close to yours as possible.
    Oh you don't have to explain it to me. I know about the medal brackets, but I also know during last 2 season that I didn't see ANY Cav or under profiles UNTIL plat.

This season alone I've now seen 3 Cavalier or less accounts in Bronze alone. That tells me there is no matchmaking filter in play. I do recall seeing/hearing mention of the climb would be slow and free to help better seed players. Mind you I've also lost to the bloody whales and top tier players with their Plethora of R2 7*s. RIP catching hands.
  • Options
    willrun4adonutwillrun4adonut Posts: 3,212 ★★★★★
    I hate three tiers in vibranium.
  • Options
    GreekhitGreekhit Posts: 2,819 ★★★★★

I hate three tiers in vibranium.

Extra tiers basically turned VT to the point they where at first seasons.
    A huge grind to GC that seeding won't help enough for 90%+ of the players to make it better.
    BGs doomed to death spiral again.
  • Options
    Dada3105Dada3105 Posts: 16
    Cant find a match since The beginning of the season
  • Options
    _Wiksi__Wiksi_ Posts: 9
    edited August 2023
    I think the matchmaking is a lot of better now because i have 8k rating and in the previous season i managed to reach only plat 2 and then i had to fight against legends and paragons. now i’ve reached diamond 1 and as far i haven’t came across any legend or paragon which is VERY FAIR because paragons should fight against opponents with the same hero rating and thats how the game should work. It wasn’t fair when while being 7k rating i used to fight with paragons lol. Now it has improved and I’m glad you have to fight with players on same level and skill as yours. thanks kabam
  • Options
    MidnightfoxMidnightfox Posts: 1,097 ★★★
    I think bg’s needs to come down and matchmaking needs investigated. I’ve never not made gc and the matchmaking is horrible. I’m paragon and been stuck in gold 1 where the rest of us are stuck for over a week. Partly due to bugs and partly due to horrible matchmaking. The two times I was going to get out of gold 1 my game mysteriously timed out my fight just as I won and gave me a loss. It’s absolute dog ****
  • Options
    Manup456Manup456 Posts: 887 ★★★★
    The last big deals changed the balance of BGs a lot and Kabam didn’t think or cared what the affects would be. This was not like when these deals came out before we had BGs because we only had AW where we competed against one another so this would only make a difference for top alliance who compete with other top alliances not like BGs
  • Options
    PolygonPolygon Posts: 3,838 ★★★★★
    It sucks im not getting matched against UC/Cavs/TB anymore. Miss the free wins
  • Options
    Maat1985Maat1985 Posts: 2,237 ★★★★
    Zekir said:

Zekir said:

DrZola said:

Zekir said:

Dr. Zola

Oh you don't have to explain it to me. I know about the medal brackets, but I also know during last 2 season that I didn't see ANY Cav or under profiles UNTIL plat.

This season alone I've now seen 3 Cavalier or less accounts in Bronze alone. That tells me there is no matchmaking filter in play. I do recall seeing/hearing mention of the climb would be slow and free to help better seed players. Mind you I've also lost to the bloody whales and top tier players with their Plethora of R2 7*s. RIP catching hands.
    meanwhile 90% of my matches all have r5's and i am struggling to push up much as every single match i have is either same same account or stronger account so i win some, i lose some....
  • Options
    Folks... the grind is just this season. It'll be fine afterwards.
  • Options
    WinterFieldsWinterFields Posts: 692 ★★★★
    Zekir said:

Rough season now for hopefully better in the future. Though I'm curious how everyone making it to GC starting all at the same place will play out. I expect it will be hard towards the beginning
  • Options
    Unicron34Unicron34 Posts: 19
    Matchmaking has stopped me dead in my tracks at plat 2, I have 2 r5 6*s and being put up against god rosters every day. It’s a win one and loose 20 rinse and repeat. I like the mode but unfortunately there’s no entertainment whatsoever in getting stomped on day in and day out with roided out rosters. If this is the way it’s going to be from now on, then maybe kabam should increase the amount of champs we can block to even out the matchups with these rosters with 10 r5 or whatever they have. The gap in paragon players on ranks just doesn’t make it fun when there’s that big of a gap and the win loss ratio is making a guy like me just want to be done with the season. Definitely not wanting to buy marks to keep going this season that’s for sure. Just my opinion, die hards and stacked rosters probably don’t see a issue
  • Options
    MaratoxMaratox Posts: 1,507 ★★★★★

Until you are plat 2, you are matched with accounts that have similar rating. After that anyone in your rank is priority.

This should be removed with seeding in place but whatever. Getting to plat 2 is harder then getting to GC

This does not seem to be the case at all. I’ve matched against harder accounts post plat 2 than during my entire journey to plat 2
  • Options
    XFREEDOMXXFREEDOMX Posts: 482 ★★★

Just check Brian Grant streams. The guy is good but he doesn’t get match anything close to what I’m getting match too.

It wouldn’t be so bad if Kabam didn’t revert to the old ways to climb the VT. After Gold2, it’s back to 1 win = 1 token, instead of 2 until the last level. It was insane before and it is still now.

So all Paragons get stuck in Gold/Platinum while others level are cruising along.

I've been expressing this viewpoint for quite some time now. About 80% of the time, Brian seems to face opponents who are comparatively easier (though that's not to say he lacks skill). Additionally, while this is merely speculative, it's possible that he has identified the "Band" system. His tendency not to rank up champions raises suspicions that he's aware improving their rank might move him out of the advantageous "band." Not only his opponents are weaker in account size but also lack skill. Something really doesn't add up.
  • Options
    GreekhitGreekhit Posts: 2,819 ★★★★★
    Zekir said:

It won't, at least for the majority of players that used to reach GC previous seasons.
    Extra 1-1 medal VT tiers will neutralise any benefit seeding will provide.
    The very top players, even after seeding implied, will find themselves needing similar grind to previous seasons to get to GC, and anyone below them will find themselves struggling to get again to GC and most of them ending somewhere between Gold to Vibranium tiers.
    A couple of seasons will pass for Kabam to collect data of the obvious participation drop, and then they will apply 2-1 medal system to more VT tiers to relief players frustration and encourage participation.
    Same story again.
    Lesson from previous seasons and hundreds of posts about the grindy/frustrating VT learned only for couple of seasons.
    Now back to where things were at the start of BGs.
    Disappointing 🙁