Options

Question: Is Ascension Much More than a Green Boost?

DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,594 ★★★★★
edited September 2023 in General Discussion
Serious question, and I haven’t had much time to dig deeper. But ascension appears to be 22% boost to attack and health. That’s +2% to a green boost.

Is there more?

Dr. Zola

Comments

• Options
    SquammoSquammo Posts: 449 ★★★
    The only thing I would say it is “more” is that it’s a permanent boost, I guess. That’s pretty much it.
  • Options
    IvarTheBonelessIvarTheBoneless Posts: 1,260 ★★★★
    If I remember correctly some ranks on 6 stars only boost attack and health by 14%.

I think it was from r2-r3 or r3-r4, but there was a controversy around it. 22% ain't bad in that regard.
  • Options
    Agent_7Agent_7 Posts: 182 ★★
    If it added adrenaline to a 5* that would be something, wouldn’t it? Not sure what Kabam could have done differently to improve upon it other than a literal tier upgrade (e.g. 5R5 becomes an actual 6R2). Maybe that same percentage boost to all stats, but I feel like that would just be begging for bugs.
  • Options
    It is equal to a new rank up.
    a Rank6 if you will.
  • Options
    DeaconDeacon Posts: 4,078 ★★★★★
  • Options
    PT_99PT_99 Posts: 2,619 ★★★★★
    Ascension more like permanent green boost
  • Options
    Squammo said:

C19h28o2 said:

There is a bit more to it than a green boost. Green boosts don't affect stats that scale with base damage but ascension will increase those (spore damage, harvest damage, Spot's ruptures, etc). Ascension is an increase to the base stats themselves so willpower healing will scale with it. And a champ's personal furies, dot damage, etc will scale with ascension and then the boosts you place on top will be more effective than theoretically stacking two green boosts (if that were possible).

Where does it say that? I can’t see anywhere in the post, that it affects base stats.

Source: devs directly told the CCP because that was basically the first question we asked. Ascension would be harmful and meaningless for a lot of champions if it didn't boost base health and attack. However, because it boosts base health and attack, it is useful for basically every single champion.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Weighing in with initial thoughts…

I suppose this is about as good as we should have expected, especially given the complexities of suggestions like adding the 6* mini-game to 5*. That’s a great idea, but I think it is well beyond the capabilities of the dev team.

One thing I would like to have seen is a slight bump in challenge rating for max ascended 6*. The difference between a CR of 210 vs. 150 seems pretty significant. If the appropriate comparison (per the Kabam blog) between an ascended 6* R5 is a 7* R3, it would have been nice to have some increase in CR that put an ascended 6* closer to its 7* counterpart.

My belief is that Ascension will extend the life of 6* a little longer, but not much. 7* are proliferating rapidly in MCoC, and I would expect to see nearly full BG decks of 7* by year end. That’s a pretty seismic shift—whether Ascension allows 6* to keep pace is anyone’s guess.

Dr. Zola
  • Options
    Agent_7Agent_7 Posts: 182 ★★
    DrZola said:

My belief is that Ascension will extend the life of 6* a little longer, but not much. 7* are proliferating rapidly in MCoC, and I would expect to see nearly full BG decks of 7* by year end. That’s a pretty seismic shift—whether Ascension allows 6* to keep pace is anyone’s guess.

Dr. Zola

Sigs will probably keep them relevant for a majority of the community for a long time to come.
  • Options
    RicitonRiciton Posts: 106
    This whole thing is pointless. Why would you ascend any champ when you're just going to get the next star level of it? Magik and quake are the only 2 champs that can really benefit from this update. If they brought this in instead of 7* then I could see the relevance. Personally, I would keep my gold for real rank ups.
  • Options
    ButtehrsButtehrs Posts: 4,834 ★★★★★
    The gold cost is a bit much. And speaking of, I could have sworn kabam Jax said there was no associated costs except the dust.
  • Options
    Buttehrs said:

The gold cost is a bit much. And speaking of, I could have sworn kabam Jax said there was no associated costs except the dust.

I have a similar recollection, but not from Jax. If you can find the clip, please share.

Dr. Zola